Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A naive thought perhaps, but I have a TT730 and an iPhone. I subscribe to PGPSworld cameras because that is the best data base (and forums), and I have that PGPS app installed on my iPhone. Presumably that app could be made to work on any android based phone also? I always have the iphone with me and turned on but not always the TT730.
Given that it is only the proximity sound warnings that will be affected, not the POI itself, is it not possible to run the app on the iPhone to give the audible warnings and still look at the TT screen to see what the alert relates?
My latest TT has been the most unreliable version I ever owned and I too will now consider alternatives. When the new O/S becomes available for the iPhone to turn it multitasking, presumably both apps could run together?
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qkjb wrote:
Presumably that app could be made to work on any android based phone also? I always have the iphone with me and turned on but not always the TT730.

Buy Sygix for your iPhone and you'll be able to switch to Android later (among other platforms) at no extra cost. If you're familiar with TT, you'll find the Sygix interface very intuitive.
eralyn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a shame that TomTom have seen fit to do this, I find this feature so usefull. It now means that TomTom have lost any future sales from me......... Crying or Very sad
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more TT for me then Rolling Eyes

According to RoadPilot, they supply TT, TeleAtlas, AA and others their Safety Camera data, and signed up Nokia in July 2009 for 3 years.

Quote:
RoadPilot Limited announced today that it has signed a three-year collaboration agreement with Nokia Corporation to supply safety camera location data for the firm’s latest generation of GPS-enabled mobile devices.

It was web forums like PGPSW that supported and developed utilities for TT's first software, so to do what they have done over the years is just dirty.

Perhaps a nice promotion for PGPSW on YouTube etc., telling the world about their great Safety Camera data, then just letting it drop to people that TT will not allow it on their new units would no go amiss.

I shall be posting TT comments on all of the different forums that I'm a member of. Suggest that all other PGPSW members do the same.

Last edited by Pocketgps on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
misterfish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this was all first mentioned I contacted Tom Tom regarding the subject. Below is the communication and answer:

I asked
'I have been pondering purchasing a new system to replace my old 700, but your move to locking down user installed information and configuration and not allowing installation of POIs and associated warning configuration has effectively removed your products from my shortlist.

This seems a very shortsighted move that effectively removes an important feature from the equipment.'

To which I received the following reply
'Thank you for contacting us, Mr *****, and as well for your feedback regarding our product's features and preferences.

Can you kindly clarify what you mean when you say 'locking down user-installed information and configuration'?

With POIs, we do not discourage users to input their own POIs but we do offer as a caveat that 3rd party software could interfere with the device working normally.

At TomTom we take all customer comments, feedback and suggestions seriously and therefore we have passed your comments on to our 2nd Line Team, Product Management and Marketing Team.'

I then replied
'The reports I have read of your newest systems say that it is not possible to program personalised sounds and distance from POI warning sounds as I currently do with my current old system. The commennts I have seen are

'The arrival of TomTom's START device saw the first unit that could not natively support third party POIs'

'Now it seems that TomTom have seen fit to roll out this dumbed down feature list to the XL-2 IQ, XL-2 IQ Live and Ease. Whilst there was a work-around that permitted users to install custom POIs, TomTom have now blocked this with a software update.'

'TT are basing the new 1000 model on a new webkit based operating system'

I want a device that I can attach to my PC in order to update POIs. I want to be able to configure the system to react to this information in the way that I want.

The information about your new systems indicates reduced abilty to configure as en end user. I do not want, nor am I willing to participate with a system where I can only obtain add ons from a 'TT Apps Store'. If I want reduced functionality then I would go for a free smart phone type option as there would be no incentive to go for a dedicated TT device.'

And finally received
'Thank you for responding back, Mr ******. With regards to the 1000, this model is still in development so we cannot say with certainty whether this will go the way of the Start. We have little information to relay with regards to this model and will only know in the next few months.

We have come out with devices designed with limited functionality and a simplified menu such as the Start (aka Ease) and the XL IQ Routes Edition 2. These were designed in a way to make them easier to use, that is, not as complicated as our other models and as such are priced accordingly. We do offer models, such as the XXL IQ Routes, GO 550, GO 750 and GO 950, that can support your requirements. For more information on these devices, please click on the following link: http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/index.jsp

So when I make my purchase I'll certainly be thorough with my research to make sure I get what I am spending my money on is what I want, need and expect.

Misterfish
KenBruce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that Tomtom don't do away with the support of third party POIs. It's not only speed camera files such as PGPSW that would be affected. What about all the thousands of POI files already uploaded for free to Tomtom by their customers? I've worked for years on one such POI file and it seems a shame that Tomtom users would not be able to use it. Sure, other devices can use it but why exclude Tomtom's customers?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenBruce wrote:
I hope that Tomtom don't do away with the support of third party POIs. It's not only speed camera files such as PGPSW that would be affected. What about all the thousands of POI files already uploaded for free to Tomtom by their customers? I've worked for years on one such POI file and it seems a shame that Tomtom users would not be able to use it. Sure, other devices can use it but why exclude Tomtom's customers?

It's not the poi's they have stopped, but the warning sound(s) for them.
Richard_GPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1952kev wrote:
If you are reading this Mr.Tom Tom you should know that if you insist on going ahead with this POI dictatorship my GO520 will be the last product I ever buy from you! Evil or Very Mad

I'm just about to send a protest Email to their Public Relations Manager....... rosie.tickner@tomtom.com

I have also sent an email of protest to rosie. I hope more people do.

Perhaps a note on the home page of Pocket GPS World advising people that Tom Tom devices will not be supporting this in the future may help?
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur re the uselessness of TT Speed Camera alerts. I carried out a side by side exercise last month comparing the speed camera alerts from a Road Angel Compact which I have been using successfully for over 4yrs (but cannot now be updated using Windows 7-64bit) with a 750 Live which has the Road Angel alerts. I travelled from Cheshire to Dolwydellan in North Wales and return. The Compact reported 15 additional mobile camera sites to the 750 and the 750 reported 3 temporary road works speed limits that didn't exist!

I reported the above to Road Angel who at first denied all knowledge but then insisted that thay updated all of their alerts to TT who were not passing this on to Live users. They did offer me a good deal on a Road Angel Professional Connected but I decided to invest in PGPSW speed camera alerts instead.

Cheers jack.
GpsPasSion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad news indeed, and puzzling since one of the co-founders -Peter-Frans Pauwels in the interest of full disclosure) told us in person that POI alerts would be back on the "Start Type" TomTom PNDs...may I ask who gave you that official answer, some "new PR hire" who'd possibly never heard of our databases and communities...

As usual the user communities are full of ressources, especially when manufacturers are being needlessly mean, and there is now a new "fix" to add POI Alerts on the Start v1 (updated to v9.053), the Start 2 and the XL IQ Routes 2 : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=136159 as discussed with Darren the other day ;-)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GpsPasSion wrote:
sad news indeed, and puzzling since one of the co-founders (Peter-Frans Pauwels in the interest of full disclosure) told us in person that POI alerts would be back on the "Start Type" TomTom PNDs...may I ask who gave you that official answer, some "new PR hire" who'd possibly never heard of our databases and communities...

Not sure if that was addressed at me? Our Official Comment came courtesy of the UK PR who actually got this direct from TomTom HQ in Amsterdam after waiting some time for them to do so.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: POIs Reply with quote

Garmin still support great POI functionality for the PGPSW Database (visually and verbally warning me of the exact nature of the danger, and my speed restriction)

Navigon, after many years without this function, have just ADDED it to their units - literally just a few days ago

So TomTom need be careful - I wouldn't object to paying (TomTom) for a App to load custom POIs to a unit, if it is revenue they are after - especially if it made the process seemless

What PGPSW can do is somelike like POIWarner has done with Navigon for years - an add-on software package that runs on the unit alongside the TomTom software and pops up as necessary

But really what we need now from PGPSW is a an app for all our units (Garmin, Navigon, Navman, TomTom, etc.) where it will download our up to date data for us, add the icons and voices as appropriate and upload them to the units

Now that would mean I would update my speed cams on every new release, and wouldn't mind paying a few pounds more for this ease of use

Any plans???
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: POIs Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
What PGPSW can do is somelike like POIWarner has done with Navigon for years - an add-on software package that runs on the unit alongside the TomTom software and pops up as necessary

That is simply not possible. TomTom withdrew SDK support some time ago which precludes any such plug-ins.
marmitebcfc
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a lot of TomTom bashing on here. You can not blame them wanting people to buy there safety camera alerts. TomTom alerts are quite accurate (I drive 2,000+miles a week) there only let down is in roadworks.

Maybe instead of TomTom bashing PGS should concentrate on getting there Camera alert to multi task on the iphone. Then I can continue to use tomtom on the iphone with PGS running in the back ground and I would Also be able to supply more new camera locations.
mickeymouse76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
richkent wrote:
"TomTom has stopped supporting 3rd party POI proximity warning sounds in speed camera products."

I thought I'd bought a satellite navigation device, not a speed camera product. Rolling Eyes

And your point is?

And his point is don't speed in the first place so you don't have to pay a £20 subscription that you guys are charging people for community content. If it was TomTom charging for that then the world would end for all the PGPSW fanboys on here and we wouldnt hear the end of it.

I've experienced the PGPSW camera database and tbh I got so sick of hearing the damn thing beep I turned them off.

To my knowledge nobody on here has said a dickiebird about TomTom giving away a years free LIVE services now....apologies if I'm wrong.

I've visited this site for ages and have only just started posting but you know what? It's just turning into a TomTom slagging off forum and is getting very tedious!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: