Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Entire UK at 1:25 000 on one card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Entire UK at 1:25 000 on one card?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Entire UK at 1:25 000 on one card? Reply with quote

Jay1967 wrote:

I can see only one reason why one would want to carry the entire map of the UK on their GPS.. They want to walk it in one go! Spending thousands of pounds on mapping of an area you wont be walking on is ridiculous.

That's a little narrow-minded Jay. What about national agencies who might need to visit any part of the UK related to environmental issues? Wildlife organisations? Geocaching enthusiasts? Even walkers who like to act on impulse and visit any part of the UK at short-notice?

I like very much having my GB-wide 1:50k in my A-10, and most of the time it sits in my van next to my Sat-Nav. That's just for the sheer hell of seeing whats around me and being able to go exploring with an OS map if my job gives me an hour or two's downtime.

Personally, if I could get the GB-wide 1:25k at around £1k, I'd already have it, and I only get to walk the odd 10-mile jolly these days (but I am a bit of an OS map freak).

Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Entire UK at 1:25 000 on one card? Reply with quote

planetnine wrote:
Jay1967 wrote:

I can see only one reason why one would want to carry the entire map of the UK on their GPS.. They want to walk it in one go! Spending thousands of pounds on mapping of an area you wont be walking on is ridiculous.

That's a little narrow-minded Jay. What about national agencies who might need to visit any part of the UK related to environmental issues? Wildlife organisations? Geocaching enthusiasts? Even walkers who like to act on impulse and visit any part of the UK at short-notice?

I like very much having my GB-wide 1:50k in my A-10, and most of the time it sits in my van next to my Sat-Nav. That's just for the sheer hell of seeing whats around me and being able to go exploring with an OS map if my job gives me an hour or two's downtime.

Personally, if I could get the GB-wide 1:25k at around £1k, I'd already have it, and I only get to walk the odd 10-mile jolly these days (but I am a bit of an OS map freak).

I would truly love to have all that mapping detail at my disposal and the advantages are obvious. But even agencies (with their tiny budgets) have to plan events and think ahead before sending staff out on field trips. I'm even sure its well worth the money, but its pricing is way, way out of reach for most casual (and maybe not so casual) walkers, of which this forum has a high percentage of, Im sure!

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG
Foghat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetnine wrote:
How much was it Foghat? Couple of thousand? Do they throw the 1:50k in when you make that kind of purchase?

-Hell I bet they throw the A-10 in!

Yes, the 1:50K was thrown in. Sadly no free A10 with it - but rather than aggressive haggling, I was more interested in seeking assurances from Satmap that it wasn't going to start releasing new versions of its mapping in a different format rendering it unusable with future devices or other developments (like Memory Map has when releasing new versions of its software). i.e. this mapping purchase will have to do for me until the end of time so I don't want something that will be obsolete within a couple of years. I also wanted them to adopt an approach based on working with me to find the optimum workable solution, and to modify it if the quantity of data compromised A10 performance - which they did agree to if necessary, and I am sure if I said that actually it would work better if it was split across two or three cards (e.g. England, Scotland, Wales), they would provide me with that solution instead rather than just say "sorry, caveat emptor".

You're not far off with your estimate, although your hope to see 1:25K Whole GB at £1,000 is probably a bit optimistic! Whole GB was around 50% of the aggregate standard web price for counties, with 1:50K included. I can't see OS pricing policy permitting anything much lower, but who knows?

I did get a free Satmap buff! Cool
Foghat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
Nice, Foghat Cool

You're not a Royal Navy or Royal Air Force rescue crew member, are you?! I can imagine having the entire UK in 1:25 000 to hand instantly being pretty useful in that situation....(helicopter scrambled...don't know exactly where you're going...no time to grab a handful of SD cards in the hope that one of them is of the right area...etc.)

Don't forget to glue the SD card cover closed on your A10 now- wouldn't want the card to fall out on the hillside somewhere (unless I'm walking behind you Very Happy )

Despite the (presumably) high cost of this card, I think Satmap would probably sell a few, were they to offer it as an official product, especially if they could offer a "trade-in" of customers' existing mapcards to discount the price. Are you able/willing to tell us the cost?

Nothing as exciting as Armed Forces or Mountain Rescue, I'm afraid. I'm like planetnine - an OS map freak, but also a former OS surveyor/cartographer whose brain thinks in maps and with a need to have detailed maps of everywhere I go. I also have an aversion to inefficient and non-cost-effective procurement strategies.

Rather than needing it to walk the GB all in one go in line with Jay1967's bizarre reasoning, I cycle/walk/climb/drive in countless different places and would need to be purchasing hundreds of custom maps or numerous county maps at full price and in no time at all I would acquire more than 50% of GB counties. So the advantage of economy of scale is obvious, and it makes clear sense to me, given Satmap's assurances, to bring forward all future map purchases now that Satmap and the A10 are well established. 1:25K maps won't change enough in my lifetime to concern me, so why not?

It would be bad form to talk precise figures, as clearly some here seem to resent people channelling their disposable income in this direction, but you should be able to deduce what you need to know - alternatively, have a go with Satmap yourself....! Smile

You're right about the risks associated with having it all on one card. However, I used to never let the thing out of my sight when outdoors or in public places already, with just the 50K maps on it, so no change in security measures really needed for the new card! Given this, the advantages of not continually swapping cards in and out for every bike ride or walk mean that the one-card solution makes eminent sense for me. Perhaps not for Jay1967 who, curiously, can only see benefit to someone walking all of GB in one go!
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satmap Quote for Entire UK @ 1:25k is currently £2,700 inc. VAT (17.5%)

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Entire UK at 1:25 000 on one card? Reply with quote

Hi,

Pretty much what most of us predicted above.

Jay1967 wrote:
Spending thousands of pounds on mapping of an area you wont be walking on is ridiculous.

So why bother to find out the exact price, just trolling?
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Entire UK at 1:25 000 on one card? Reply with quote

opps error on this post!! pls delete this one.

Last edited by Jay1967 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Entire UK at 1:25 000 on one card? Reply with quote

Jay1967 wrote:
Spending thousands of pounds on mapping of an area you wont be walking on is ridiculous.

AllyCat wrote:
So why bother to find out the exact price, just trolling?

Because I was talking to SatMap about other business.. I was a customer of theirs some time ago and wondering why they haven't got around to DIY custom mapping yet, as Garmin have. They say there are no plans for it at the moment. I think thats a real shame to an otherwise great product and is the reason I'm sticking with Garmin.

planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c'mon guys, I know we all have different presumptions/ perceptions/ attitudes, but let's not get snotty with each other about this.

Yes £2.7k is a bit much for most people to spend on mapping, but many people spend far more on their hobbies. I know this much mapping wouldn't get use from many here either, or light most reader's fires here, but it takes allsorts to make up a world.

I'd like a GB1:25k card very much, but that's tooo much for even my weird map cravings. Foghat has a little more disposable than me, but I won't deride him for it (mug him maybe ;) ).

No impoliteness, here, we're above that, remember..?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: