Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Nuvi 3760 on sale??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Nuvi 3760 on sale??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: New Nuvi 3760 on sale?? Reply with quote

Handtec appear to have them in stock.

Very curious to see if they cut the mustard.

Any chance of getting hold of one for test chaps?
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few retailers including Halfords are showing the 3760T as in stock but interestingly the 3790T doesn't appear to be "in stock" yet with any retailer. I am waiting until the 3790T is released as the extra £40 for 3d buildings, 3d terrain maps and voice control are worth the extra £s.

Would be interested in actual user reviews of the 3760T too.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: New Nuvi 3760 on sale?? Reply with quote

darrengsaw wrote:
Any chance of getting hold of one for test chaps?

we're trying. i've been on the waiting list since they were announced.

i'll get in touch again now they are starting to appear on stores...

MaFt
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3790t now showing as available as well.

Certainly interested to see it in action. Along with the Go 1000 there could be a tough choice when I come to buying my next device.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Reply with quote

While the Garmin certainly is a looker, the connected HD Traffic and services plus (at long last) the improved graphics and - most importantly - clarity of maps, make the TomTom 1000 look like a winner for me

Would have liked to like the new Garmin, but blurred (big) road arrows muffle complicated turns and no connected traffic on (what seems to be) a top end device is (for me) crazy
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's possible that a connected version may be in the pipeline in the near future, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it it doesn't.

From what I can gather renewal rates for both the 1690 and the Go live range are pretty low. TomTom giving a year of live free sounds to me like a very good way to haemorrhage money, they can't possibly make any profit whatsover with that plan. Smells of desperation a little to me.

If you could get a really top notch high end nav solution on Android I would go and grab an HTC desire, it would be a no brainer. Co-Pilot isn't however a selling point for me, and I don't want to buy an overrated iphone for stupid money either, so I may sit on the fence a while longer.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Dedicated Reply with quote

If I used my Sat Nav occasionally I would agree - my HTC Hero running 2.1 and have trialed Navigon, Google and others - all reasonable in their own rights, but all too slow to set up and use when I am in and out of the vehicle numerous times of the day. For me - at least as the usability stands today - I MUCH prefer dedicated

I just want dedicated with connectivity

It may be desperate, or sound it - but it is the future of sat nav (ie Q3 & Q4 this year), and is essential for regular or most business users

And TomTom (and I have never been a fan) may simply be gearing their users to the benefits of live - and once it becomes a cannot do without, they will at least earn a residual income from their units, in terms of subs and map updates, which surely in their future income source? A little like prints and ink cartridges, and we all know where the money is made there...

And there is nothing wrong with that if its the service and usability that we want. Price isn't everything - although it has to be affordable
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you there. I think moving over to a different platform for the next TomTom range could be a pretty good move on their part.

I think it's tricky to see just how the PND vs Smartphone battle will pan out, at least in the short term.

I think long term, eventually the smartphone will have top quality gps options. For me the screens are mostly still a bit small and all the software seems to be slightly amiss in one way or another for the moment.

I think I will await some reviews of this new generation of PND's and see if a clear outcome arises............
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a 1690, my next Sat Nav purchase will not be one with connected services and I am awaiting my 3790T to be delivered.

The connected services are limited and work intermittently in my experience. As I have a Blackberry / Smartphone then this is much more flexible than the Nuvi. Yes, the Connected traffic info is better than the "old" free Garmin traffic service but it isn't worth the extra £70+ per annum that Garmin will want me to pay, especially when I can ring a traffic line for a few pennies for each long journey.

I agree that the renewal rates for Connected services will be low - the price of the 1690 has dropped from £319.99 in January to £176 in June, less than six months which would indicate that the uptake of this model isn't that great!

Anyone willing to shell out £300+ on a PND of either Garmin / Tom Tom is also likely to have some form of smartphone device so I think the connected services format will apply to a niche market rather than the free traffic service / no aftersales which will appeal more to the mass market.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the main potential issue i have with the tomtom 1000 at the moment is their recent history regarding 3rd party poi's etc. their newer devices (start/ease, xl-2 iq, xl-2 iq live) specifically do NOT allow 3rd party pois with alerts. you can add pois but you cannot set up alerts for them. i.e. speed camera database will not work.

the tomtom 1000 was reported to use a new operating system based on WebKit - will the change of OS they are also using a web-based version of HOME which COULD mean that you cannot directly access the contents of the device when connected to a computer and, by doing so, they may even completely block 3rd party POIs form being installed... this is pure speculation at the moment though but given their recent 'updates' it wouldn't entirely surprise me!

MaFt
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Custom POIs Reply with quote

Yes TomTom could decide to block custom POIs, and it probably wouldn't change my decision to make this my next unit (unless something else comes along before it's release (any ideas on a firm release date yet?)

However, for PNDs to continue to sell, they have to offer simplicity (click in to place and navigate) and flexibility - the webkit software enables this (or at least makes it easier and cross-platform) - or could. It will if TomTom are to succeed it must

I want clarity of mapping, clear timely voice instruction, this and next turn on screen always, live search, live traffic (GSM not TMC as it stands) and regular map updates

I'd happily pay £20/month all in and a couple of hundred for a unit if it offered this. It would make my day easier

As it is, LIVE is free for one year, and as you say Garmin are "giving away" the connected part of the PNDs which were supposed to sell at a significant premium to the unconnected

Surely someone can bring these simple things together?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Custom POIs Reply with quote

Yes TomTom could decide to block custom POIs, and it probably wouldn't change my decision to make this my next unit (unless something else comes along before it's release (any ideas on a firm release date yet?)

However, for PNDs to continue to sell, they have to offer simplicity (click in to place and navigate) and flexibility - the webkit software enables this (or at least makes it easier and cross-platform) - or could. It will if TomTom are to succeed it must

I want clarity of mapping, clear timely voice instruction, this and next turn on screen always, live search, live traffic (GSM not TMC as it stands) and regular map updates

I'd happily pay £20/month all in and a couple of hundred for a unit if it offered this. It would make my day easier

As it is, LIVE is free for one year, and as you say Garmin are "giving away" the connected part of the PNDs which were supposed to sell at a significant premium to the unconnected

Surely someone can bring these simple things together?
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got a 3790T - looks good, responsive screen and taking for a test this evening, quick sat acquisition from cold.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
just got a 3790T - looks good, responsive screen and taking for a test this evening, quick sat acquisition from cold.

I'M NOT JEALOUS... MUCH!
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Smartphone's will take over from PND's, as the GPS receivers in phones are poor compared to PND's, I've only had Garmin, but they have always got a sat lock very quick, but with every phone I had, depending on weather conditions, they can take up to an hour to get a fix, so can't be relied on. Garmin even works in the Dartford tunnel, but I've never had a phone that's done that.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: