Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - full postal code check
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

full postal code check
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyblissett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a full postcode will get you nearly there, but certainly not pinpoint it. 1.5 million postcodes, 22 million house, so about 15 households per postcode. This will obviously vary somewhat.
andyblissett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still speak to the citizens advice bureau, terms and conditions NEVER override your stautory rights, if they attempt to, then it is an ilegal contract, that why most companies still meniotn it at the bottom of their T&C's. I believe the direct selling initiative, comes under your statutory right, but check this out.
andyblissett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here is the document from that CAB that describes your rights

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/buying_over_the_internet.pdf

You do have to pay for the costs to return it, but that is the only cost you should have to pay. Like I said Terms and conditions do not affect your rights as a consumer.

I hate it when companies try to feed people this sh1t.

Andy
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, these only apply if it is returned before 7 days of receipt (have we confirmed this yet?) and doesn't apply to software. Tomtom Go has to have software... maybe this means these regulations don't apply?

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London
remus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The full post code lokup is exactly what I am looking for. We have to deliver to many houses most of which just have names.

Dave was saying that the cost is to much for sat nav to include. But just to give you an idea of the way we find a house at the moment.
We have two software products one of which is Quick address which lets you type in the Road Name then shows all the House/Firm names and numbers with the post code. This could also be done with the Postal Address Book which is sent to all houses every year or so.

The other product is a Locater software. I would need to check on the name if anyone wants it since the title changed this year.
From this package you enter the post code and up on the screen map come the location of that post code down to about 100yds. over the whole UK. Yes some time in might be 15 houses with the code but it could also be just one. We use it most days.
The cost is about £30-£40 for a years use.

So how come this is to much for the sat nav firms to add on.
The ideal product for my firm and many others would have full post code look up then when you have found the house it could be entered into the poi database so if another drive had to deliver to that house agin the sat nav would be able to find it on a busy road.

Kevin.
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many different post codes are there to most streets? I personally wouldn't want to pay £40 more (well, maybe more cause its a one of payment, not a subscription) just to narrow down addresses any further.

Anyway, there is a free post code lookup, Tomtom plugin....so why not just use that?

drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyCr15 wrote:
Anyway, there is a free post code lookup, Tomtom plugin....so why not just use that?

Because:

drummer wrote:
Unfortunately, that postcode tool does not work on TT Go, only TomTom for PocketPC.
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, was talking to Remus there, who spends £40 a year on something that does that.

mrklaw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely at a stretch the limited 5 digit postcode is enough if you know the street name?

as for the cost, £40 might not be a lot for an individual license to use for 12 months, but I'd imagine it would be a lot more expensive for Tom Tom to have unlimited sublicense rights for its consumers (which is what it effectively needs)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remus wrote:
Dave was saying that the cost is to much for sat nav to include. But just to give you an idea of the way we find a house at the moment.

We have two software products one of which is Quick address which lets you type in the Road Name then shows all the House/Firm names and numbers with the post code. This could also be done with the Postal Address Book which is sent to all houses every year or so.

If you're doing it legally and obtaining the proper licenses from Royal Mail to not only use the data, but to sell the data on within your product then it does become very expensive. Last I heard you have to pay royalty fee's on a per copy basis. It all depends on how many copies GPS companies can sell. Although GPS is starting to become mainstream in terms of popularity, there are an enormous amount of products out there all fighting for the same sale, and still PDA's are a very niche market, so don't expect PDA software to sell as much in terms of volume compared to PC applications, or to something that Microsoft may sell.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to bear in mind is that postcodes are very specific to the UK. TomTom is a Global product.

Over in Europe postcodes only go to the village level, not street level. The USA is different again with Zip codes having similar resolution to the UK postcodes.

Would we be happy to see a price hike in TomTom for a development specifically for Germany, another for France, and a third for the States? I suspect not. TT would price themselves out of the market.
KeithLeng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was similarly disappointed when I bought an HP INS system which was bundled with CoPilot 4. I had expected to be able to find addresses via post codes. The INS system is going back, not only because of the postcodes issue, but also because version 5 of CoPilot is now released so version 4 is obsolete.

Reading this thread, it seems that a pairing of TomTom and the downloadable uk postcode database would be head and shoulders above the competition. Would there any reason at all to go for CoPilot 5 or any of the other products when TomTom/uk postcodes is available?
remus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrklaw wrote:
surely at a stretch the limited 5 digit postcode is enough if you know the street name?

If it was just a house number then to locate the road using a 5 digit postcode would work. But when you start to look for a house name or firms name then you need more.
Let me give you an example which happened today. I sent an order to another shop somewhere in the uk. The shop sent back asking if i could get the phone number of the recipient since her driver said it was a very long road with a lot of house names.
I checked and found that the road was several miles long and had over 200 houses.
Not being able to contact my customer for the phone number I did a search on the post code we were given and found that 17 houses had that code. Then by using the other software I was able to tell the other shop that the post code was between road A & B which covered a distance of about 350yds. The driver was then able to find the house quickly.

If you would like to see the product I use this is the address

http://www.travelmanager.co.uk/travelmanager_office/index.html

On looking at the http://www.directions.ltd.uk/ web site I notice that for the Navigator package .....
(We release updates to the poscode data in InfoMap Navgigator on a quarterly basis. They include the latest postcode changes as well as street number ranges.)
And that would cost £15.00 per update.

So why if they can do it ,can't these other firms. Ok you say that the product is made for sale in other countries, so what ,if a company wants to sell a lot of its product in the UK then shouldn't it be set up for the UK.
Sorry to go on but I do think that this is where these packages full down.

kevin
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,
Think product you want really want may be found at
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/products/addresspoint/
26 million georef address points is, I would think large database
to run on PPC.
I think when linked to sat nav on PPC the fact that some house
numbers are supplied is in itself a major advance. Smile
Aircooled68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post codes?????? anyone want to go back to a stack of AtoZ's Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: