Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Roundabout Question - Please Enlighten me !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Roundabout Question - Please Enlighten me !
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fjorko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Roundabout Question - Please Enlighten me ! Reply with quote

I can only explain this using two screenshots. What i would like to know is why is there a diffrence.

The following two screenshots represents two roundabouts ( A and B) that i encounter on my way to and from work which i use as a test route. Screenshot 1 is from HOME -> WORK.. . .

The graphic is obvious - as you can see the green arrow is connected from A to B therefore the voice instruction is :

"Cross the roundabout, second exit THEN Cross the roundabout, second exit ( roundabout two ) i.e. ONE INSTRUCTION for two maneuvers in quick succession......

NOW.......

From WORK -> HOME, the screenshot looks like this :

As you can see the green arrow is now NOT connected to make this ONE instruction for two sucessive manuevers, even though they are the same two roundabouts as in screenshot 1. The issue here is that they are so close together, the voice instruction for A is received VERY LATE when going from B ->A

So why is this happening ?

Can anyone explain ? And do you feel it is right even though it doesn't seem to be such a big issue

Many thanks
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't know the answer to your question, I'm now convinced that TT3 has a strange view of roundabouts.

On one occasion I was given directions to go the wrong way round a roundabout.

On a number of other occasions, I've been tolt to "turn right at the roundabout, first exit" while the map shows that I should be turning left.

Confused

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, how did you get those screenshots?

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668
Fjorko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

Those screenshots were made by THIS little freeware screen grabber.....go get it Thumbs Up
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Fjorko used it, but I have used a free program called MagicSS which enables you to get screen shots and transfer them to your PC using Active Sync
Robin
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had always thought that it was the closeness of the second roundabout that triggered the double instruction. However, the return along the reverse route disproves that theory.

Recently I had the instructions change whilst navigating a roundabout near Beckington. The instruction changed from take the 2nd exit to take the 4th Exclamation

I understand that Lutz has written a screenshot program that saves JPG files and increments the file name. Perhaps he will tell us where we can find it. At the moment I use MagicSS which is very good but you have to make sure that you change the file name else it will overwrite.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a funny explaination, but it's the only resonable one i can think of.

Going from "A" to "B" the junction on the first roundabout is not as wide as the second roundabout, so the two instructions come together as one.

Going from "B" to "A" the junction of the roundabout is Bigger, so the GPS is giving you time to complete the manouvere, by this time your onto the second roundabout, hence the late instruction.

Now i'm not a mathematition, but judging the speed travelling past the junctions, it takes longer to negociate a wider junction than a narrow one.

Don't laugh,,, i said it was a funny explanation. Laughing
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually delboy you are probably not too far off.

TomTom will be working on the distances between the two manouvers. As they are not straight then to get from A to B is going to be shorter than getting from B to A albeit by just a few yards. There will be an arbitary cutoff when TomTom will decide that the two manouvers are seperate or joined. This will be the case where one is under that cutoff and one is over the cutoff.
Fjorko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that clears that up then.

Sorry about my spelling mistakes Embarassed , I'm not English ( not that that is any excuse Rolling Eyes )

Thanks for the answers.

PS. I actually found that if i change from measuring in YARDS to measuring in METERS, the voice prompts seems to be given quicker which gives you more time to do the manouver...............or it might just be my IMAGINATION !!! Mr. Green
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Actually delboy you are probably not too far off.

TomTom will be working on the distances between the two manouvers. As they are not straight then to get from A to B is going to be shorter than getting from B to A albeit by just a few yards. There will be an arbitary cutoff when TomTom will decide that the two manouvers are seperate or joined. This will be the case where one is under that cutoff and one is over the cutoff.

Cheers Mike B,

I feel right chuffed i got something right, or nearly right. Embarassed

Fjorko,

Don''t worry about any spelling mistakes, you did OK.

I'm born and bred in England, and I have trouble spelling it. Thumbs Up
tloram
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fjorko wrote:
PS. I actually found that if i change from measuring in YARDS to measuring in METERS, the voice prompts seems to be given quicker which gives you more time to do the manouver...............or it might just be my IMAGINATION !!! Mr. Green

EHHHHHHHHHH! :o

I've been trying to get TomTom Navigator (3.03) to display in METERS rather than YARDS for aaaaaaaaaaages! How do you do this???!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start TT ,go to Nav screen ,go to properties.then to General ,then you can change to Miles or Kilometers Rolling Eyes

cheers trevor
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geraint wrote:
While I don't know the answer to your question, I'm now convinced that TT3 has a strange view of roundabouts.

On one occasion I was given directions to go the wrong way round a roundabout.

On a number of other occasions, I've been tolt to "turn right at the roundabout, first exit" while the map shows that I should be turning left.

Confused

I've also been told to go around a roundabout on the A34 near Cheadle the wrong way, and have experienced the roundabout arrow icon pointing in the wrong direction several times.
tloram
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh.

So I take it you can only have meters displayed if your have set it to Kilometers?

I would like to use Miles and Meters! Bit of an oversight from TomTom that...

Surely two different options could be made available, ie. one for short distances which could be either yards or meters and then one for larger distances which would be the existing miles or kilometers...
Fjorko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wonder whether there will be another update ( something like 3.1 Thumbs Up ) that will fix little things poeple have been complaining about. I know this roundabout issue of mine is not critical really, but those of you that experience WRONG indications and voice instructions do warrant some sort of investigation from TT don't you think ? Question

I have also seen that the mapos are not very acurate, but then again we all knew that from the start huh ! Wink

If anyone has contacts with somene in TOMTOM, can you find out whether there are any upcoming updates in the pipeline ( free ones that is ! Happy )

Anyway...have a wonderful evening !

L8ter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: