Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map updates + 6 months free ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map updates + 6 months free ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
Apologies for a daft question, but I'm already in a twelve month map update malarkey. A few months to go until it runs out. If I go for this offer, do the eighteen months start now, or at the end of my current subscription?

I checked with TT before buying and they say it'll run after your current sub. However their instructions bore no resemblance to what happened on screen for me. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

After i purchased the 18 months update TT have confirmed my sub runs out 18 months after my current one.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
After i purchased the 18 months update TT have confirmed my sub runs out 18 months after my current one.
Paul, Is that something that you can see within "MyTomTom", on the web site, or did you need to raise a Support Question?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Paul, how did you do it? I can't get either the TomTom website or Home to offer me the map update service. It just says the UK map is on my device.
Samsung Galaxy S21
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to raise a Support Question i'm afraid. TT did confirm there is no way for a customer to check their Map Update Service status / expiry.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul. Support Question raised!

It hadn't occurred to me that I could extend my subscription, and thought that, as a current subscriber, I'd lost out on the chance of 6 updates for the price of 4. I just hope I get a reply before the offer ends!
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you get this banner at the bottom of home? (No device connected, of course, who'd have the nerve to connect a device? Laughing )

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to live more dangerously than you, Dennis, but even with the device connected it just takes you to the Map page, where it offers all the available maps to purchase, but shows your current map as "On device" with no option to purchase the updates.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Taking my life in my hands, I had a connect or three with a few of my devices. The GO520 and the XLLive both did the same as yours - showed maps and no offer to add 18 months. But it was a useful exercise anyway, because I thought I'd only bought the 12 month update service for one of them and it turns out I bought it for them both - it's awful having dimension, can't remember anything from before breakfast!

When I tried the GO700 (App 6.520, W&CE v675.1409), it offered me the latest map for £35.80 and the 18 months for a further £35.80, total £71.60 (and actually guarantees me six new maps over the next 18 months). It says the offer is open until 12th April.

I'd be tempted if I had any confidence that upgrading the 700 wouldn't trash it (it actually works reliably)! But another worry is that Home perhaps can't be relied upon, as I'm not too sure just how far the 700 can be upgraded, both App and Map.

I wonder what would happen if I tried this with Navigator 6! Shocked

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could regret messing with the GO700, especially as you have up-to-date maps on the other two devices.

If you only have UK maps on those and need European mapping at some time, you could buy W&CE for the 520 for £74.95, and still have a reliable 700!
Samsung Galaxy S21
kobudera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, I bit the bullet after getting the same offer as you on the bottom of the HOME screen, and it worked flawlessly, straight to a payment screen, and then immediate download of the new map, as well as confirmation of the purchase by email.

Of course, it all went downhill from there! The next prompt was to install the map, which of course won't fit on the device - another 72 MB needed. After some judicious deleting I got rid of a shade over the 72 MB and the install proceeded - only to fail again because there wasn't room for the activation code!!

What I got left with was a 720 with a map of the Canary Isles - very useful! Evil or Very Mad

I've now deleted the whole of the internal memory and re-installed my last backup, so the device is up and working again (I need it this coming weekend!) I've ordered a 4GB SDHC card and reader, praying that what I've read on here, that the 720 can use these cards, is true, with a view to installing the new map onto it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly delete the existing Western_Europe map from your device to free up some space, as you have a back up you don't need to make another one prior to doing this.

Have a look in:

MyDocuments/TomTom/ Home/ Download/ complete/ map/ Western_Central_Europe

In this folder are two important files, the first one to open is the large zip file Western_and_Central_Europe.zip, to do this use WinRar which you can download from Here point the WinRar at the drive letter associated with your TomTom and click extract files, once its completed this step have a look in the Western_Europe map folder on the device using Windows Explorer and delete all the CSpeech_XYZ.dat file (except the CSpeech_GBR.dat file as this is needed for voice recognition in the UK) then you need to use WinRar to extract the file from the activation_map_12345.cab file (your file will have a different 5 digit number to 12345 nut you should get the idea), point WinRar at the Western_Europe map folder on your device so the activation file is extracted straight to the map folder on the TomTom.

Remember you only need the useless Home application to download the map you certainly don't need it to perform the installation, using the method outlined above lets you strip out around 150MB of files that you simply won't need unless you fancy using the voice recognition in every European country the map covers! - Mike
kobudera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I've checked the folder you indicated, and all the files you mention are indeed there.

That's brilliant Mike, I'll have a go and see how I get on.

I see from another thread that it might be worth installing to an SDHC card anyway?

Many thanks!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed an SDHC card is probably the easy solution for the longer term but even that isn't 100% due to the useless Home software doing what it wants when installing a map and ignoring the fact you tell it to load to the memory card - I use the WinRar install method and don't have any issues as I can pick which files I want to include when capacity becomes an issue, if you don't use the voice recognition capability you can simply deleete all the CSpeech_XYZ.dat files - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run my GO520 from a 8GB SDHC card (Peak, Class 6, as recommended by Mike a long time ago). If I take the card out and put it into my card reader, then start TT Home, it recognises the card as my GO520 and I can update just with the card in my card reader - saves all that **** about no memory and which to put it onto, internal or external.

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I checked with TT before buying and they say it'll run after your current sub.

I've just had a reply from TT saying: "Further to your query unfortunately the offer of 18months for the price of 12 months Map Update Service is only available to new customers. And as such you will be unable to purchase the service or take up on the offer as your MUS is not due to expire until 24/09/2010." Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: