Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Internal memory or memory card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Internal memory or memory card?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaycr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Internal memory or memory card? Reply with quote

Hi, can anyone advise me whether it's more beneficial to have the map installed on the internal device (can be a very tight squeeze) or on a high speed external memory card. Other than the lack of space within the device itself is there any other advantages or disadvantages?
Thanks for your advice, Jim
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say what model you have. But on my 720, I store my NA map on a 4-gig sdhc card and run it that way. I would recommend those with units in the Go range always use a card for additional flexibility in terms of storing stuff like mp3s (if you have a 720, 730, 920 or 930) and photos, if so inclined. Also you won't run into the hassle of 'not enough space' when installing a new map. It does happen from time to time.

I also have a Western Europe map on a different sdhc card. When my unit got used in Europe, it was just a case of removing one card and replacing another.

Finally, if your card is fast enough (class 6 or 8), you may see map refreshing, recalculating, etc. being even faster than if it were stored on internal.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jaycr. It is rumoured that the TomTom can perform its calculations/routing quicker if the Map/software is placed on a fast (Class6) SDHC card. Despite my signature, I keep everything on a SDHC card because I find it easier/quicker to perform POI updates and software changes by not having to connect the TomTom, switch it on, give it permission to read, etc. etc. I just pull the card out and slip it into a cardreader. Job done.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good quality High Speed card will produce faster route planning than the internal Flash memory which is rather slow on some devices otherwise there is little benefit other than avoiding having to mess about when a new map comes out that is too large to fit the available capacity.

You don't say what device, if its an x20/ x30 then it can support up to 32GB SDHC style cards.
If its an x40/ x50 they take MicroSD cards again upto a capacity of 32GB.
The One range when fitted with SD card slots, Go-x10 or Go Classic can only use cards up to 2GB (non SDHC type) - Mike
jaycr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys I neglected to mention I have a Go750. I assume then that a Samsung 4GB Micro SD Plus Memory Card (Class 6) will suffice just to put the Western European on with everything else being stored in the internal memory? Thanks again for all your prompt attention and advice. It never fails to impress me how helpful people are here. Rgds, Jim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaycr wrote:
Sorry guys I neglected to mention I have a Go750. I assume then that a Samsung 4GB Micro SD Plus Memory Card (Class 6) will suffice just to put the Western European on with everything else being stored in the internal memory?

Yes that will work fine. Smile

The only remaining hurdle you *may* face is that there have been several reports of a bug in "Home", where even if you tell it to install a new map to the SD card, it tries to install it to BOTH the card and the internal memory, so STILL reports it is out of space.
It certainly doesn't happen to everyone and there are fairly simple ways to deal with it if it does, but it's just another little TT c*ck-up we have to deal with!
steveadi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi andy can you tell me how to get around this bug as its doing my head in been trying for hours. cheers
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Home installs the map in both locations, use Explorer to delete the map folder from the wrong location.

If Home installs in the wrong location, use Explorer to copy the map folder to the desired storage location. (and, once confirmed it there, you can delete it from the incorrect location using Explorer).
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you copy the software as well as the current map to the card and connect it to your computer using a card reader instead of inserting it in your TomTom, Home will detect it as your device and update the maps on the card.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Alio1326
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Card Reader Reply with quote

Hi All,
A bit confused here, just got a Peak 4gb sdhc class 6 card & a Fuji sdhc card reader to put in my 720 ( the card that is ) having just bought new W/Eur map.
But as posted earlier by steveadi I was unable to download to the card, so I had to dump some music & photo's.
the thing is now how do I get everything onto the new card. Earlier on Anita said about using a card reader, but on TT home help about initialising memory cards. " memory cards used with Gox20,x30,x40 devices are NOT intended to be used separately in a card reader. Hence if you access one of these cards through Home in a card reader, Home willnot recognise the card." can you please once again sort me out.
Thanks Alan.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Card Reader Reply with quote

Alio1326 wrote:
on TT home help about initialising memory cards. " memory cards used with Gox20,x30,x40 devices are NOT intended to be used separately in a card reader. Hence if you access one of these cards through Home in a card reader, Home will not recognise the card."

Just to make quite sure I wasn't misleading you I've just put my card containing the application and maps into a card reader and connected it to my computer. Home launched and I was able go to "Operate my Go" and plan a route just as if I had connected my 720.

I wonder if by "memory cards used with Gox20,x30,x40 devices" they mean cards containing maps bought from TomTom.

Quote:
how do I get everything onto the new card.

Copy the contents of your 720 to a folder on your computer and keep as a back up. Then copy the same contents to a blank SD card. When you put the card in your device it will launch from the application on the card but, if you haven't deleted the map on the device, it will still be using that map. To use the map on the card you will need to go to Change preferences / Manage maps / Switch map and select the map on the card.

As the same name will probably be displayed for both maps you might like to follow the instructions here to change the names of your maps so you know which is on the device and which is on the card.
Samsung Galaxy S21
steveadi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers didnt even enter my head to do it through explorer Shocked thought i had to use home,done as suggested and its worked fine
Alio1326
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Card Reader Reply with quote

Thanks Anita will give it a go, just been off looking at FAQ's & printing them off,
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good move, Alio. Thumbs Up There's a lot of very useful information there! Very Happy
Samsung Galaxy S21
Alio1326
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Card Reader Reply with quote

HI,
Just to update, Thanks Anita your advice on using my card & Reader it has worked for me did as you said and it updated for me via the reader. Thats what I love about this forum, you just need to ask.

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: