Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PGPSW Cameras onto Nokia X6 Ovi Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PGPSW Cameras onto Nokia X6 Ovi Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiredeyes69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: PGPSW Cameras onto Nokia X6 Ovi Maps Reply with quote

Like the heading
anyone put PGPSW Camera database onto a nokia X6 OVI Maps?
does it work?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The compatibility table half down this page seems to suggest it might be possible.

If you try it can you let us know so we can update the table?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a good example of why it would be good to have a demo version of the database for people to try out before buying.
Maybe TWO categories (so people can check they can upload multiple data files), say the 20mph Gatsos and 20mph Specs?

What does the team think?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a lifetime member of the site there is no harm in trying the full database rather than any sort of sub-category - Mike
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back when I had my N95 I installed the database onto Nokia Maps. It was unbearable. Due to the amount of data (I used the Speed Zoned set) the phone was virtually unusable.

I started to install it on my N97 under Ovi maps but due to the way Ovi maps handles 3rd party POIs I gave up.

You have to convert the Speedcam database to Nokia Landmarks. I used GPSbabel for this. Copy the created landmarks to a temporary folder on your phone and then using the phone's built-in filemanager (Xplore, Ybrowser will not do this part) browse to your folder and select the landmarks file, It will ask you if you wish to import the landmarks into maps. The problem then is that it places a record for every camera into your "favourites" list. You can spend hours sorting through them and placing them in your own created categories but when you try to navigate to a favourite location it will then bring up all the cameras Sad At this point the N95 would give up and I would have to restart the phone.

I don't know anything about the X6 but it has the same operating system as my N97.

It is possible but until I get a reply from my email to Nokia asking them to look at the way Tomtom and Sygic handle 3rd party POIs I will not be using it.

I have a personal POI file containing only 100 entries and still that is a nightmare to update and process.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As a lifetime member of the site there is no harm in trying the full database rather than any sort of sub-category - Mike

For tiredeyes69, yes. But there must be other people out there with the phone and if it needs to be tested....
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
The compatibility table half down this page seems to suggest it might be possible.

I think that is referring to using it with the the standalone Speedcam software. It does allow to overlay the speedcam data onto maps but it is not as ideal as having the speed cameras in the maps app itself.

I have not tried this in my N97 as it requires Python to be installed and never got around to it

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: