Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS reception problems - Dconnex BC-307
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS reception problems - Dconnex BC-307

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anewman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: GPS reception problems - Dconnex BC-307 Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm in the UK, Leeds and recently got a Dconnex BC-307 GPS receiver off Ebay and am using it with an equally recently acquired HP Ipaq 2210. I am completely unable to receive any signal in my house (not particularly well built being a council house) but sometimes get a signal near the window. I got the impression from the review of the Globalsat BC-307 that I would get some sort of a signal lock in my house, as I'm sure this is just a rebranded one of them.

When I walk near to buildings and underneath trees sometimes the signal drops out.

Now, the problem is, when I walk around with it, sometimes when I'm not near anything at all (able to see the sky completely), the signal drops out and it seems like it can take a minute to get the signal back. This is completely unexpected and quite annoying. Also the signal can vary quite greatly from 8 to 3 satellites. There's no obvious cause to the signal dropouts or reception change. Is this expected to happen? Is the unit faulty? Am I expecting too much from GPS technology (ie. could this be equated to the early days of mobile phone technology where you would often have problems with reception)?

Also, what is this NMEA/Sirf business about? If I use NMEA at 4800 baud will the PDA/Card use all power saving modes available to it? Is it possible the settings I'm using in this respect are responsible for the signal drop out, or is there a way to maximise signal reception?

Are there any mods I could do to the unit to increase reception?

From what I gather already the inbuilt aerial is in the bit facing you when you use the PDA. Should the PDA be held horizontally or does it matter if it's say angled toward you?

Sorry for the length of this post.

Thanks in advance for replies and comments etc

Regards

Alan.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS reception problems - Dconnex BC-307 Reply with quote

anewman wrote:
I'm in the UK, Leeds and recently got a Dconnex BC-307 GPS receiver off Ebay and am using it with an equally recently acquired HP Ipaq 2210. I am completely unable to receive any signal in my house (not particularly well built being a council house) but sometimes get a signal near the window. I got the impression from the review of the Globalsat BC-307 that I would get some sort of a signal lock in my house, as I'm sure this is just a rebranded one of them.

GPS is line of sight to the satellites, like Sky TV, not like GSM Mobile phones. You will not receive a signal in-doors. Only if you have a high sensativity GPS and you're close to a window will you receive a signal in-doors.

anewman wrote:
When I walk near to buildings and underneath trees sometimes the signal drops out.

Yes, this will happen.

anewman wrote:
Now, the problem is, when I walk around with it, sometimes when I'm not near anything at all (able to see the sky completely), the signal drops out and it seems like it can take a minute to get the signal back. This is completely unexpected and quite annoying. Also the signal can vary quite greatly from 8 to 3 satellites. There's no obvious cause to the signal dropouts or reception change. Is this expected to happen? Is the unit faulty? Am I expecting too much from GPS technology (ie. could this be equated to the early days of mobile phone technology where you would often have problems with reception)?

It is normal for a GPS, and no it doesn't sound it's faulty. Having a CF GPS can be problematic, it's close to a Pocket PC processor which can create interference, you can also find if you are not walking with the GPS facing the sky correctly then it won't get an optimum view of the sky, most CF GPS's antennas are facing back to your face and not up to the sky. The DConnex BC-307 I believe is a re-badge of the GlobalSat that we reviewed here.

anewman wrote:
Also, what is this NMEA/Sirf business about? If I use NMEA at 4800 baud will the PDA/Card use all power saving modes available to it? Is it possible the settings I'm using in this respect are responsible for the signal drop out, or is there a way to maximise signal reception?

These are protocols, SiRF is also a chipset. Most applications will only work with NMEA not that many work reliably with SiRF, you certainly won't want to use any power saving modes if you are experiencing problems.

anewman wrote:
From what I gather already the inbuilt aerial is in the bit facing you when you use the PDA. Should the PDA be held horizontally or does it matter if it's say angled toward you?

The GlobalSat BC-307 has a flat case and not an angled one, so really if you are going to be walking with the GlobalSat, you should have the Pocket PC in an horizontal position to get the best view of the sky.
anewman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: