Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice needed on buying a TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice needed on buying a TomTom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pj123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Advice needed on buying a TomTom Reply with quote

I am a looking for a TomTom PND with the following features:

1. Socket for external antenna
2. Advanced Lane Guidance
3. Sockets for both antenna and power on the dock.

1 and 2 most important.

On the website store the antenna is available for the following models: ONE New Edition, GO 510, GO 710, GO 910, GO 930, GO 530 Traffic, GO 530, GO 630, GO 630 Traffic, ONE XL Europe, ONE XL Regional, GO 720, GO 720 Traffic, GO 520 , GO 520 Traffic, ONE XL HD Traffic , GO 920, GO 920 Traffic, GO 730, GO 730 Traffic, GO 930 Traffic

I think I will have to look for one of the older models as the PNDs on the Tomtom website do not have what I am looking for.

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try one of the newer devices in your car without the external aerial, Halfords are generally quite good for this sort of thing, the improved reception the newer units offer negate the need for an external aerial.

Also what map coverage do you want/ need, handsfree, mp3, FM Tx HD Traffic, GPRS Traffic, RDS-TMC etc etc - Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never needed an external aerial for the x30 or x40 range, the newer devices have far better reception than the older.

The x40 & x50 ranges do not have an external antenna connection but the x30 does.

The x30 does not come with a dock for use in the car (but you can buy various makes of these), just a clip in suction cup mount for the windscreen. The x40 & x50 come with basic docks

You need to decide which maps you want, on the x30, x40 & x 50 ranges, UK & Ireland (x=5), Europe (x=7) or Europe & USA (x=9).

You also need to decide on other features such as handsfree phone (unreliable across the range), music/jukebox & ipod control, FM output to car radio and EPS.

Traffic may also be important. the x30/40/50 can all use RDS-TMC a free service but limited information and often poor reception. The x30 can use Traffic over GPRS which is information on major A roads and Motorways, costs about £35pa and needs a mobile GPRS phone connection. The x40/50 use HD Traffic which is far better when it works but it has been beset by outages and problems since it was launched but is a least free for a year (normally £8pm or £80pa) under a limited offer at the moment.
pj123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I want the TT for use in Thailand. I know the Thai map is ony available for some of the TT range.

I have problems here with GPS reception due to the combination of UV film on the car plus the tall buildings & flyovers in Bangkok so antenna necessary.

Cannot get good reception using my Holux PND, Holux bluetooth or my mobile phone (All running IGO8).

Features like bluetooth, traffic etc are not important. Thanks.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always buy a re-radiating GPS antenna which picks up the GPS signals outside the car and re-transmits them inside and requires no connection to the TomTom. In some countries they are not legal as they are considered radio transmitters, but I have no idea if this silly rule applies in Thailand.

GPS Re-rad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pj123 wrote:
I know the Thai map is ony available for some of the TT range.

He's right.... but I wonder why?

In fact, on a quick search the UK TomTom website, I think I could only get the Thailand map to appear if I selected the Go 550,750 or 950 as my device - and none of those has an external aerial socket!

I can't see why it should be restricted like this, it certainly isn't the size of the map, it's only 76MB!

Or is this just a mess-up on the TT website?
pj123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
You could always buy a re-radiating GPS antenna which picks up the GPS signals outside the car and re-transmits them inside and requires no connection to the TomTom. In some countries they are not legal as they are considered radio transmitters, but I have no idea if this silly rule applies in Thailand.

GPS Re-rad

Thanks. That is one option I haven't thought of.

My own search of the TT site found the Thai map is only available for the 950, 550, 750. XL IQ Routes Edition, One IQ Routes Edition and White Pearl.
pj123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have found the solution. The 550 Live which has the Thai map available and an active dock. For signal problems I can invest in a rerad receiver. Thanks for the replies.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: