Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - which model to look at?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

which model to look at?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: which model to look at? Reply with quote

I bought my TomTom 720 2 or 3 years ago now and really happy with it, no actually I am not, it worked great, but in the last 18 months its stuttered, failed to download maps correctly, perhaps the fault should be more aimed at Tom Tom then the unit. I got offered the latest map update and after 3 hours it said no room on the device, to delete some files, but I cannot delete enough space bah bah bah, so the new map has been forced onto the SD card, but its not really working well enough. Its been on my mind when the time comes to replace then TT is not in the picture so......

A year ago I came across Navigon and as I look around at Garmin and the like of, the Navigon units appeal to me, I like the look of the screen. I have the system on my iPhone, but I require a separate unit. Looking on the web site gives a long list of different models to choice from.....

I am after opinions on which models would suit:

I live in Poland, but drive home to England a few times a year, I work a lot in Denmark, so the 720 has the central European map on, so I looking for both East and West Europe to be covered. Hands free is of no importance to me, bluetooth not important. I have an TMC aerial/cable, does not work in Poland, but very useful in Germany/UK/DK, I not really wanting to pay for the service through a mobile connection, the places I travel really don't warrant it, apart from the Uk and that always seem slow anyhow.

I am looking for lane assist, spoken instructions with street names, a TMC aerial, I want widedscreen, the max versions seem to be more want I want. I also require the PGPSW database to be able to be on the device. Full europe mapping. Thats really all I need, so a chuck of stuff, but not all the bells, unless Navigon do something very funky with Traffic, then the TMC type cable is all that I really want.

Downsides will be me as a Mac user, I can of course run Windows on my Mac, so its not a big deal.

The last thing are you Navigon users happy with your units and backup from Navigon? My issues have never beed resolved by TT, a stock email answer, its PGPSW members that get me through my problems. My opinion that the TT units are fine when they work, but the politics of TT are not acceptable to me.

So.... what Navigon unit should I be looking at?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with wide screen, which models are you interested in?
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the NAVIGON 4350 max was the one I thought I should aim for, it seems to have what I want without to much fluff I don't, it has to replace a TT720 with TMC aerial.
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trip around the spanking new shopping mall today, sat nav is still a fairly new thing in Poland, all the main players are here and quite I few I have never heard of before Shocked Most are lower end, not sure a Pole is ready to fork out a months wages on the one TT950 I saw. Anyhow saw a NAVIGON 6310 unit at 770 płz which is £169 at todays rates. Just back home looking at the spec which seems good and the price is nice, any comments on this model from anyone.

Also still who like peoples thoughts on Navigon the company, back up etc.

Many thanks Andy
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inthe128 wrote:
Also still who like peoples thoughts on Navigon the company, back up etc.

I have been using only Navigon GPSs for 5 years but here are some comments:
You cannot add your own POIs (Points Of Interest) without installing additional software (POI-Warner) costing about £20. For details see POI-Warner threads in this Forum.
The lock-on time to the satellites can be a bit slow - see the 2310T thread for more comments.
Navigon Customer Support now respond to questions much quicker that they did.

Which model you get depends on what you want:
Do you want Bluetooth?
Do you want Traffic (TMC)? Note that for the UK you need Premium TMC.
Do you want Truck/Caravan/Motorhome option? Extra £110 in the UK and only on 6310 and 8410 at present.
I suggest you go to the Navigon website and use the comparison tool to compare facilities.

Prices. There were special offers over Christmas in the UK and lots of (free) extras.
I bought a 4310maxplus with Traffic and 2 year map updates included for £140. It is now £280 (until the next sale only I expect!).
So you need to shop around a bit to see who is offering the best deal - and check the stickers on the box for extras before paying!

Good luck in your search Laughing
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks C1man,

I have been reading the threads and a couple of the things you mention I found and read. The model I found in a store here in Poland is a 6310 which seems to cover all my needs and few I am not to bothered about. In Poland the traffic service is not available, although I work in Denmark were it does and so I drive through Germany were it is also, as I believe its a cable/ariel in the power lead, sort of the same as my TT720.

The one question that is confusing me is the PGPSW camera database possible via POI warner on this model or is a question how up to date the software is and if POI warner is behind with their updates?

My dealings with TT support have never really come to much, so many annoying problems in the past year has made me what to look elsewhere. Hopefully Navigon are better in the respect.

I saw the truck option, I like that, I do drive trucks, not as my main job, so could be useful in the future. I have Navigon on my iPhone, it gives better routing at least in Poland than the TT720, so i am happy on that level.

Done the comparison and looked at the videos on the main web-site, so I feel my original choice of the 4350 was close, but as the 6310 is the only one the store stocks and the price is okay for me, looks like that one.

I hoping now for some feedback on my model choice with POI warner and the PGPSW camera database.

Many thanks,

Andy
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can load PGPSW cameras with POI Warner. POIWarner does update the software fairly regularly, though I haven't noticed any great user-visible changes. This can be a bit of a pain though, as you have to load any updated version when you connect to their system, and that means having to reload the cameras afterwards. Also the software itself seems a bit flaky and you can find yourself fiddling about sometimes to get things right again.

Having said that, it does work and it's quite useful for user-specific POIs (especially given you can't have them otherwise at the moment anyway, as C1man says Evil or Very Mad ). Navigon told me recently that they may be allowing these directly sometime this year, but don't hold your breath waiting Cool .

You'll find a few threads here about POI Warner which give an idea of the issues but as I say, they are not too serious. Also they are fairly responsive to queries and problems as well.

I would say you look like you have a VERY good deal in the offing on that 6310, btw.
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:

I would say you look like you have a VERY good deal in the offing on that 6310, btw.

Well I am certain that was the price on the ticket, I am fairly mind made up, so a visit to the store to check thats all correct and I will leave the dark side.
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went to the local M1 shopping centre and took a look in Media Markt. The guy looking after the GPS section told me tomorrow there will be a Navigon promotion day, most of the range on offer, so I will down there I think in the morning, let you know how that goes.
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I have left the dark side. Today picked up a Navigon 6301. The store as I mentioned had a Navigon promotion today, some very nice Polish Navigon ladies in short skirts helping with questions. Its seems good value at £166.41 at todays exchange rate.

I am running a Mac with a Windows partition, no problems setting the software up and its so much better than TomToms home, downloaded the new maps, also got a ticket and the 2 year update thing comes to £16.

Just set it up and reading the manual, it does miss a few things from my TT720, gains slightly less areas on first inspection. It picked up a signal in a couple of minutes inside the house. Its snowing in Poland, so will wait for a test run tomorrow.

The forum has been great use and thanks for the replies I had, helped greatly to search out questions and made my mind up to buy.

Andy
mikeiow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got yourself a nice deal there, hope it works well !

C1man wrote:

I bought a 4310maxplus with Traffic and 2 year map updates included for £140. It is now £280 (until the next sale only I expect!).
So you need to shop around a bit to see who is offering the best deal - and check the stickers on the box for extras before paying!

I did similar (Halfords sale !)....but my first one died painfully on it's first 'real' test. I was heading to pick up a friend (whose house I didn't know) when I saw a huge traffic jam. Turned around and the unit froze ! Just when you need a satnav, it let me down (boo hoo !). Even the reset hole failed to get it back: the first screen would appear but go no further !

Anyway, Halfords duly swapped it, no probs :-)

However, it does seem *very* slow on occasion to get a satellite. For example, en route to a meeting on Friday I stopped for a coffee and (foolishly !) turned it off. Came out 30 minutes later and powered on. Then sat for about 4 minutes in the car waiting for it to tell me which way to continue. Frustrating !

And sometimes it seems to flash on with a white screen, then power off.....& eventually the on button will bring it back.

Is this common ? Or have I lucked out with another 'dodgy' unit !? Only had this a week so need to watch it, methinks !

Once working, I *do* like it compared with my ancient TomTom One: Premium TMC free of charge, 2 years map updates all made it a nice deal to me....but I hate sitting in my car drumming fingers !!!

cheers
Mike
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeiow wrote:
However, it does seem *very* slow on occasion to get a satellite. For example, en route to a meeting on Friday I stopped for a coffee and (foolishly !) turned it off. Came out 30 minutes later and powered on. Then sat for about 4 minutes in the car waiting for it to tell me which way to continue. Frustrating !

And sometimes it seems to flash on with a white screen, then power off.....& eventually the on button will bring it back.

I have had similar problems. Sad

I think my problem is that I have been accidentally turning it right off when trying to get the unit out of Standby. If you hold the top power press button down for more than a second or so then you risk it going off.

If it turns off then not only does it lose your route details but it has to locate the satellites all over again - which can take a while.

When I break a journey now I let the unit go automatically into Standby.
(Configured using Options/Settings/General/Automatic Standby from the top menu screen). This way I don't risk accidentally turning it off.

I think the off facility should be restricted to the top menu screen only - it is too easy to do it accidentally from the press button. Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: