Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What SD card for 520?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What SD card for 520?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: What SD card for 520? Reply with quote

Buying Western Europe map, its called "2GB" but is actually about 1.85 I think, (a) will it fit on a 2GB SD card and (2) will any card do or must it be a non-SDHC card? (I see that 300 cant take SDHC)

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the "2GB" version of the map will fit on a 2GB card (it's designed to fit on a machine with 2GB of internal memory).
In fact, even the largest version of the map would still fit on a 2GB card, but the TomTom software now won't let you use maps "bigger" than it thinks you should.

You certainly CAN use SDHC cards on these models, see TomTom's chart HERE
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Yes, the "2GB" version of the map will fit on a 2GB card (it's designed to fit on a machine with 2GB of internal memory).
In fact, even the largest version of the map would still fit on a 2GB card, but the TomTom software now won't let you use maps "bigger" than it thinks you should.

Thanks Andy. Whats my best plan, put an empty 2GB card in the device before downloading the map? Will Home put it on that automatically as obviously its not going to fit in the 512Mb internal to the 520 a fair chunk of which is used anyway.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have an SD card in the device, when you boot up Home it will present you with a new window, asking which storage you want to use.

That SHOULD tell Home where you want to put the new map, but having said that, there have been reports of the latest versions of Home getting confused and trying to put the map in BOTH places!

Nothing to stop you trying it, but if it messes up, one way round that would be to temporarily copy EVERYTHING from your internal memory onto the SD card, put that into a card reader and then run Home with just that connected to your PC. Home should treat it just as if the actual TT was connected, but now it ONLY has one place to put things! Laughing

Then you could delete everything off the card except the new map folder and put it back in the TT.

As ever, make sure you have full backups in place before you do any updates, just in case.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Seem to have encountered a Mac OSX bug with TT Home (at least OSX 10.6.2 which I am on) as I gave up updating via that, have connected the exact same set up to PC and its currently downloading the map.

On Mac it wouldn't let me select the SD card to download to.

Have entered a bug report to TomTom.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied the whole OS & maps onto a 2GB Sandisk Extreme III SD card & used it in a 520 - when I came to update I just removed the SD card & put it in a card slot on the computer or a USB adaptor & TomTom dealt with it just as if it was the 520 itself - every so often I copied the complete card back onto the 520 to keep it upto date - the 520 seemed to run better from the card than it did from internal memory
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good quality SD card such as the Extreme III you are using will out perform the built in memory for route planning speed as well as making the device perform better - Mike
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: After a variety of errors both on a PC and Mac in TTHome, and being unable to select the map after I eventually did download it, I did the simple thing and tried a new memory card. Worked straight away.

This issue seems to have been caused by an incompatible memory card.

The original which did not work was a Kingston 50x, the one that does a Sandisk UltraIII. Both 2GB. Whether the make is significant or its just an error on the Kingston card I dont know, both cards have been working in a variety of devices over the past year with no issues.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: