Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom one XL map update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom one XL map update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom one XL map update Reply with quote

Merry Xmas all
If you're still recovering from yesterdays excesses & have nothing else to do maybe you can help me?
A few weeks ago my son purchased a TT one XL V2. Yesterday (thanks to new laptop from Santa) he logged on and created an account on TT Home. It gave him the opportunity to download latest UK & Ireland map free, which he did.
A fair way through the process it reported that there was a faces/dat error and the download could not be completed, adding no changes had been made. Fair enough. Except TT would not work, Red screen of death reporting there was a problem with the map Mad
I can hear you now screaming did you create a back up?
Yep!
Did You use Windows?
Yep!
I've deleted the current map (although strangely the file was still showing the originals date) and replaced it with my backup copy.
Unit now works fine.
Anyone else had the same problem?
Obviously He'd like to use the 'latest map guarantee', is there a work around here?
I'll report it to TT as well - but won't hold my breath.
Thanks Steve
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you were using a Laptop how was it connected to the internet? If you were using WiFi then this is probably the reason the update download failed, try repeating this with a cabled connection to the router/ modem.

Makes a nice change for someone to come on here reporting a problem that has actually taken the time and effort to make a backup BEFORE messing with the device, makes life so much easier! - Mike
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Thanks for prompt reply - yes it was WiFi link.
My back up actions are the result reading numerous threads on this forum Smile
Maybe a daft question, if I connect via my PC will TT home recognise my son's unit and connect to his 'Home' account? Therefore still letting him update.

Steve
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be fine to log in to your sons account using Home on your own PC as long as he knows the details - Mike
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
You're a star Very Happy downloaded and up to date - no problems.
Thanks

Steve
Mutley1971
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Completely Stuck Reply with quote

Hi All,

Apologies if this post could go in a differenct topic but it's along the same lines. I've just bought a TomTom XL Classic for my Dad and added a load of POI files for him. I also thought I would put an up to date map on there. Stupidly not backing it up first I have now got a Sat Nav that just says "No Maps loaded" when you switch it on :-( I've connected it to TomTom Home which says the map's installed and wants to charge to update.

All I want is to get it working again. Anyone got any ideas? I have a TomTom 540, are the map files the same? Can I just pinch my maps files for it, just to get it working again?

Cheers for any help,

Martin
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't share maps between two devices. They're specific to the unit installed on.

We've been plagued in North america the last couple of days by new users doing the same thing; namely, updating the map and then getting the 'No map found' error.

See if anything here helps.
Mutley1971
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Hi David,

thanks for the info. Looks like I may have messed this up then. Dad will be thrilled :-( I think it'll be back to the shop tomorrow and hope there's no questions asked. I don't have any way of getting it to work other than buy a new map which I am not prepared to do unless I really have to.

Thanks again,

Martin
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutley1971, It sounds like you have nothing to loose. If you have already created a separate TT account for your new TomTom, this may be worth a try -

1- Make a windows explorer backup (including hidden files) of your device now, even though it is not working, you can always return it to its present condition if this advice does not work.

2- Delete everything from your TT, even the hidden files.

3- Connect to TT Home, log on and search for updates. Let it install only the NavCore only. (Bad grammar, but its important)

4- Safely disconnect the TT. Switch SatNAv off, wait and re/boot. On the PC, completely stop TT Home running, even backgrounded.

5- Re-connect the SatNav to PC, TT Home should start up, log in to new account and it may offer you your old maps back. And then you can start all over again! BUT First, take a Full WinExplorer Back Up.

Good Luck.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Mutley1971
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

Sadly although it now has a fresh install of the TomTom software, it wont add the maps unless you pay for them. Looks like it'll be back to the shop after all.

Regards,

Martin
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have downloaded the map through Latest Map Guarantee (I assume that is what you meant by putting the latest map on) then the map is already on your PC.

Go to Add Traffic Voices etc and then Items on My Computer and see if you have a map listed.

You will need to be logged in to HOME with the account you have set up and associated with the device.
Mutley1971
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map already in my computer is not useable with my device. I suspect it has seen the one from my TomTom 540. I have no Map directory at all on this new XL Classic and the Use Latest Map Guarantee drew a blank too. TomTom are now giving me the run around and I still have a rather attractive looking paper weight :-(

regards,

Martin
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As weird as this sounds......

Did you register the unit with a new email address at TomTom?

If so, connect the unit to Home. Click on log in at the top. Even if it does show your email address, type over it and password.

Shut down Home and make sure it isn't running in the background (TT icon in your notification area)

Then disconnect the unit properly from the computer (Disconnect device icon). Turn off and reboot.

Reconnect to Home and try using the LMG again.
Mutley1971
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

thanks for your persistance in trying to help. I've tried several different ways. I've contacted TomTom and they have eventually took the hint and reset my account to download the maps again. It looks like I may have some progress now as it seems to be working and I have backed up all the files quickly in case something else goes wrong.

I have to say that returning it to the shop was a waste of time, all they do is contact TomTom which I could have done myself.

Thanks again for your help.

Martin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: