Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomTom 750
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomTom 750

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
consumerway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: New TomTom 750 Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just treated myself to a TomTom 750 and was wondering what were the top 5 tips before I start using it.

I would also like to know what is the latest TomTom Maps and should I use my 30 day single update right away or will there be a new map in a few week.s I dont want to update it now only to find out I should have waited a week or so.

Cheers,

CS
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's an edited version of a message I've provided to new TomTom users in a US based forum. Think the information applies here as well.

Here are some things to do to make your experience with the TT successful right from the start.

1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents before doing **anything**. If not sure how, see the information here . For Mac users, replace Explorer with Finder.

2. One of the biggest problems users have is disconnecting their unit prematurely from the computer before any data has had sufficient time to get written to the flash memory of the unit.

If connected to Home, use the 'Device Disconnect' icon in the lower right of Home's screen. Wait till you see the window that it's safe to disconnect and STILL wait a few more seconds. If not using Home, use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in your notification area (if you are running Windows on a PC).

3. Charge your unit for two to four hours via the usb connection.

4. Download the user's guide for your model from here and read it.

5. If you do have questions, issues, or problems, chances are someone else has had them too. So, be sure to try the 'Search' choice in the top menu, especially the 'Advanced Search' option.

6. Take advantage of the Latest Map Guarantee for your unit. You have 30 days from first use. But before you do that, in Home, select Update My Unit and see if a newer application is offered. If so, select ONLY that update, download and install (some models won't even be offered the LMG with out the latest application installed . Then for the LMG, in Home, Tools--Use Latest Map Guarantee. The latest map for ALL units is 840. There will not be a newer map in the next 30 days. By the way, to see the application you have installed on your unit, tap the satellite bars. Then, tap the version number and the next screen will show the current map(s) installed and version number. For x50 device owners go to Status & Information/ Version Information as there is no sat strenght indicator on the x50 range.

7. In an ideal world, there will never be a need for the support phone numbers at TomTom. But, since we have had tens of thousands of posts here, you know things are not always terrific. So:

For North America: 1 866 486 6866 (available 8:30AM to 7:00PM EST Mon - Fri and 9:00AM to 5:00PM EST Saturdays)

For the UK: 08451610009 Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. GMT

Ireland: 1890812008 Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. GMT

Australia: 1300 135 604 Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. AEST

New Zealand: 0800 450 973 Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. NZT

Phone number for other countries can be found here

And while you are at it, make sure you register your unit at tomtom.com with a email address (it doesn't even have to be a real one, just in the proper aaa@bbb.com format) and password. (Mind you, TomTom does use the email address provided to send receipts of items (maps, etc.) purchased from its site).

8. Go out and use your TomTom. See what it can do and what it may not be able to do that you hoped. Come back here and participate in our forums. We are a friendly and helpful group. And we're always ready to learn from your experiences too!

Have fun!!
consumerway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

CS
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively, you could look at the FAQs topic in THIS forum Wink , they're in the "sticky" topics right at the top of the index.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: