Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Free Upgrade to TomTom USA don't work!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Upgrade to TomTom USA don't work!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Creation
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Free Upgrade to TomTom USA don't work! Reply with quote

I've tried everything. Everything is fine until I install the new maps from the upgrade CD. Navigator would not start if I have the new map (in my case New York region) installed. I've tried installing the newest navigator, 2.24 and GPG 2.08 available online, but no go. I don't want to keep using the old maps, because I've had quite some experience with bad mapping. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than me can help.

IPAQ 2210
Running TomTom USA 2.22 and GPS 2.05
Wireless TomTom Bluetooth gps receiver
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try installing a small area map (say 16Mb) to main memory, remove the memory card and let me know if it starts then?

If it does I'll need to know the card type (SD or CF) size and manufacturer?
Creation
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really possible that the new maps won't work with my memory card, even though the old maps do? I'll try and install a 2mb map into main memory and I'll tell you what happends. Thanks Darren.

memory card= Kingston 512mb CF
Creation
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a quick test with the 2mb map on the Kingston CF card, and it worked fine other than these annoying screens popping up telling me how to use Navigator. The menus are a little messed up though. Should I go ahead and install Navigator 2.24 and GPS 2.08, I am currently using 2.22 and 2.05. If I should, can I just install over it without uninstalling first, like TomTom's website stated? Thanks Darren.
Creation
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 2mb map worked, but the map which I really need (about 165mb) would not work. Can't even go into Navigator at all, with the bluetooth manager nagging me for bluetooth connection endlessly. So this problem is due to map size??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probably just corruption on the card. Download Storage Tools to format the CF Card, use FAT32, and then re-install the new map.

As for the BT Manager annoyance, try BT Reg Tweak which is a free utility to fix this Thumbs Up
Creation
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna try doing what you suggested, but I don't understand how a corruption of the card would make it possible to use an old map (158.5mb) and not the new map (165mb). It just doesn't make sense to me.

I am going to try formatting though, but have a question: The original file system type of the CF card is a FAT 16, would formatting it at FAT32 kill the card?

Thanks Darren 8)
Creation
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, an update: I tried formatting the CF card to FAT 32, but it did not help at all. Nothing changed after the formatting, same old problem.

I notice one time when I ran Navigator (with the new map that caused the problem installed), I got the following error:

The file "\windows\AppMgr\Install\TomTom~GPS.CAB" is not a valid Windows CE Setup file

I used resco file explorer to look for the file, but there is no such file in the directory "Install". I do have a TomTom~GPS.dat file located in \windows\AppMgr though. Any more ideas Darren?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the TomTom GPS installer being a bit lame - as it forces a soft reset, it leaves the Pocket PC's application manager believing that the application isn't properly installed, when it is.

It's a totally benign error - which will appear once, then not again. Ignore it.

David
Creation
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok DavidW, I'll ignore it Twisted Evil

However, I'm still having trouble accessing the new maps. Navigator just wouldn't start when I put one of the bigger new maps on my CF card. It's driving me nuts :x

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: