Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is 7 months to long to wait for a bug to be fixed?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is 7 months to long to wait for a bug to be fixed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingfuzz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Is 7 months to long to wait for a bug to be fixed? Reply with quote

Having submitted a question to TT helpdesk on 18 May 2009 I am still waiting for a fix to the bug TT introduced.

That’s 7 months, do you think this is acceptable?

The bug is the screen flickering you get if you use TMC with the round connector. I know this is probably only a handful of users however this is TT software V8.351 with a TT original accessory and in my option should have been sorted by now.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for tomtom yes some of us are still waiting for bug fixing in tomtom 2 and 3 all the way up to 930
their strategy is to make them obsolete and introduce new faulty models
take me for example I bought the 720 to use as hands free and listen to music
the hands free never worked and the music stutters all the time now
cjyoung
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree; difficult issues never seem to get fixed. I have a GO 910 and bought the TMC receiver (making sure it was the latest version) and it has never worked properly despite numerous attempts by TomTom support. It only ever showed a 1 minute delay for an incident regardless of the actual delay.

I eventually started using the TomTom traffic service through my mobile and this has been fine.
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be patient fella, button-it or upgrade.

The company cannot be expected to foresee all eventualities and does its best. When it's not flickering, the display is great.

PS. An upgrade of your Map/Navcore may help - unless you have unacceptably delayed updating your profile. Razz
PGPSWorld Speed Camera Database (naturally)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetrotter wrote:
PS. An upgrade of your Map/Navcore may help - unless you have unacceptably delayed updating your profile. Razz

Kettle and pot!! Your own profile says Navcore 351!!

If he was still using Navcore 8.302 he wouldn't be having this problem (which is why I am using 8.302).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
flyingfuzz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetrotter wrote:

The company cannot be expected to foresee all eventualities and does its best. When it's not flickering, the display is great.

Full testing should fine 99% of all issues. Testing should also use all TT hardware that can be attached to each device. I spend my money on TT hardware expecting it to work with recommended devices and software, when I find it wont I get annoyed. TMC traffic using TT hardware SHOULD form part of the testing, clearly it was not. A bug no matter how trivial using your own hardware and software should be corrected asap to give your customer confidence to buy new or extra hardware.

Unfortunately I have lost this confidence in TT.

My £9.99 headset works with my mobile phone, my £230 TT will not. My £19.99 fm transmitter for my MP3 works with my radio, my £230 TT will not.
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you're pretty much asking for an ideal world...

The problem of TT products is that they have added peripheral applications that require ever increasing complexity of software. Support for most telephone brands to enable hands free being a prime example. My latest Blackberry curve synchronised but I cannot get it to access the Live data service and the hands free locking stutter is scarey. So - those apps are simply ignored by me.

But...as a Sat Nav product it is peerless, despite occasional upgrade glitches. If you are having problems, a roll back to a stable version whilst you bide your time awaiting a fix, is not too taxing on the patience?

I will likely be buying a 940 at some point as the built in sim should mean the Live element of the product is more stable, and now with the 950's about - bargains are likely in 2010.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetrotter wrote:
Well, you're pretty much asking for an ideal world..

Do you really think so?

I have a TT GO700 which I bought in December 2005. It took us round Europe in summer 2006 - I can't say without fault, because the Italians were building new roads so fast we did get caught out twice. It handled all my mobile phone requirements perfectly (including abroad).

I've had "better" models since, two 910s, 720s (seven of them in an attempt to get working ones), a 920, a 730, a 930, a ONE, an XL Live and latest a Refurb 520. Apart from the ONE and the XL, they were all supposed to (continue doing) handsfree phone calls. I still use the same model phone as with the 700 (Nokia 6230i - this is my fourth one deliberately staying with it to keep TT handsfree compatibility - I think I might like a Blackberry, or an iPhone, but they won't do the job with my TT satnav), but none of them worked properly and I have yet to meet somebody who has used a mobile on handsfree like I do who has got a stable service. The last person who told me that, subsequently came back to say it had gone wrong just like mine and all the others I've heard of.

App 8.351 gave me the flicker and stutter problems immediately I started using it - I'm a high mileage driver and use my TT devices every trip and at least six days out of seven in case of phone calls when I'm driving. Was it 7 months ago? Well, I think it definitely is too long, as I promptly reverted to App 8.302 - my main "issue/challenge/fault" was the volume which TT reduced overall to compensate for distortion on SOME devices at 100% volume (didn't cross their minds to suggest users turn the volume down, so they reduced it across the board by about 40% so that it's too soft for me, and others, to hear!).
thetrotter wrote:
I will likely be buying a 940 at some point as the built in sim should mean the Live element of the product is more stable

I like your optimism, but I'd suggest you have a quick peep at the two threads concerning HD traffic (possibly now cured) and Google Search (not cured). Just over a week ago, I paid £80 to get the Live services for a year, specifically because the Google Search had proved so useful during the free three months trial. Over the last two weeks, that feature has deteriorated to almost useless - yesterday it worked twice and failed twice (worked/failed once here and worked/failed once near Truro), today failed once and worked once (when I happened to be outside Vodafone HQ at Newbury - coincidence or a good place to be to use it?) and it seems one user has been told TomTom don't know how to fix it!!
flyingfuzz wrote:
I spend my money on TT hardware expecting it to work with recommended devices and software, when I find it wont I get annoyed.
AND HE'S ABSOLUTLEY RIGHT! I've had to resurrect my GO700 in order to use handsfree to its full capacity, because my 920 and 520 won't handle it - my phone is in TT's compatibility list and always has been. For the short time handsfree worked on my 910s, 720s, 920, 730 and 930, it was great, with extra features (read out loud text messages, tone dial for pressing all those numbers they tell you when you eventually get through to the recorded stuff, dial a POI). But they all failed to remain stable, so I had to give up on them. My 520 is a "new" refurbished device, but I'm not even going to try it with handsfree - my business relies 100% on phone calls and I can't risk any more experiences of customers being cut off for as long as it takes me to find somewhere safe to go through re-booting and re-setting. I'm afraid that biding my time awaiting a fix is indeed taxing my patience.

I may sound grumpy, but I love the TT devices and think they are the best on the market. Since getting a 920 two years ago, I've been positively gagging to hand over my money for the latest model, but I've managed to resist the x30s, x40s and now the x50s, because I can't see how they can meet my needs any better than what I've already got. I bought my XL Live on the recommendation of a couple of guys here, which proved to be a good idea (although the Google Search is making me rethink that one a bit). But nobody has been able to persuade me a x30, x40 or x50 is stable enough to be worth buying. I bought the Refurb 520 because my 920 gave up the ghost and there hasn't been a better model since.

andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too love tomtom ,but they should test their equipment to the fullest extent ..take our company we were about to launch a major new product 3 months ago but pulled the plug because they found a few bugs though thorough testing ..the end result will be a happier customer and not a resented customer
I would have rather waited another 6 months more to get my 1st tomtom pna in full working order .....
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh! I've been waiting four years for my next TT (since the 700). And I still love the TTs. Rolling Eyes

thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're illustrating my point Dennis.

There are better hands-free options available (to say the least). Better Google on-the-move services (via mobile) but not better Sat Nav products.
TT have built a many headed monster by adding these peripheral services - which they will probably never fix/can never fix, properly.

Hence why you are often back at Halfords/Comet etc, banging your paw on the counter.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: