Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newest TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newest TomTom?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiwarrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Newest TomTom? Reply with quote

Im a bit confused here, i want to buy one of the latest TomTom Sat-navs, and im not sure which is the latest one?

I would like to buy a widescreen one, and I was thinking of getting either a XL IQ routes or a GO 530 or a GO 550

thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you want from the device:

XL IQ has no memory card expansion capability should you want to add larger European or USA based maps this could be restrictive, its a cracking device though as a basic Navigation device. No mp3 player, no FM Tx, No Bluetooth, No Phone handsfree.

530 has everything the XL IQ has but it adds the SD card slot, Bluetooth for audio out, handsfree and a data connection via your mobile phone. It has the mp3 player, FM Tx and an audio line out socket - Mike

550 has no mp3 player, my FM Tx, is equipped with an active mount but to get at the line out connector you need to purchase an additional accessory dock for the device. It has memory expansion capability through the MicroSD card slot in the base, being the newest model of the three you picked it will probably enjoy further software development while the older x30 series might stay the same with little future development. The big plus point for the 550 is the Live connectivity from its built in SIM card and GPRS modem, this offers access to the Live services such as the HD Traffic service, bear in mind though the Live services are subscription based with a monthly charge to be paid to use them - Mike
shiwarrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, great reply!

I dont really need anything, but i do want RDC-TMC traffic, which i would buy too

I like the idea of the XL with a mem card slot though, but sadly the XL doesent have a memory card slot (but i doubt id use it)
I like the idea of getting the latest model on the market, especially if it doesent cost that much more.

been looking on ebay, and all 3 seem to go for good money, so before I bid, i need to figure out which one is best

cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One to consider is This from CPC, Ok so its not a model thats listed in your short list but when its updated to the latest application and mapping (both of which are free for the first time used but ONLY on NEW devices which the CPC item is.

Its got the memory card slot, it can accept either type of RDS-TMC receiver and is a bargain at that price, even better if you live anywhere near Preston where they have a trade counter thats open to the public - Mike
shiwarrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does that differ from the others? reason I ask, is becuase I own a TomTom ONE v.3 and i thought instead of buying maps etc for it, id rather "upgrade" to a later model and go widescreen, seems more sense than buying a map for it, i thought i might as wqell just buy a new one (model)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once updated the 520 is the same as the 530 to all intents and this update is free with a new device.

SD Card slot (supports up to 32GB capacity)
FM Tx
mp3 Player
Line Out
RDS-TMC or iPOD connection
wide screen
IQ Routes - II (post the free update)
Reality View
Lane Assist
Text To Speech
Hands free for mobile phone

As you can see its a very well featured device and for under £125 for a new 520 is quit a bargain IMHO, some of the other cheap x20 models you see on some sites for sale are often refurbished models which don't always come with the free first map update, this item from CPC is new so you get a one shot free update to the very latest maps that came out last week - Mike
shiwarrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Mike

Do you have to purchase the Antena (RDS-TMC) sepeate ? TomTom website says that with the TomTom Go 530 it comes buit in, does that mean just the option to buy the antenna or does it actually come with it? the XL IQ routes one doesent mention anything about tmc
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 520 and 530 you purchase an external receiver that plugs in to the base of the device on either the round RDS-TMC/ iPOD socket or the Minu USB socket depending upon which type of receiver you get. When TomTom say its included with the 530 they simply mean the external receiver is in the same box as the device ships in.
The XL IQ can only use the mini USB style RDS-TMC receiver as it doesn't have the other type of socket fitted to the device.

The round plug type RDS-TMC receivers were being sold off by PC World/ Curries etc a few months ago for under £3 so don't go paying a fortune for one! - Mike
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its got the memory card slot, it can accept either type of RDS-TMC receiver and is a bargain at that price, even better if you live anywhere near Preston where they have a trade counter thats open to the public - Mike[/quote]

I used the link to the CPC web page and the TT looks good but down the right side of the page was "also bought"
1. Universal SatNav case (fair enough)
2. Hot glue gun !!
3. Silicone lubricant !!

Makes you wonder what you are going to do to the TT
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duddy wrote:
I used the link to the CPC web page and the TT looks good but down the right side of the page was "also bought"
1. Universal SatNav case (fair enough)
2. Hot glue gun !!
3. Silicone lubricant !!

Items that can be quite handy if you are thinking about changing the battery in any TomTom x20/ x30 device, although WD40 is better as a solvent to get the old battery out and silicone is a better adhesive for the new battery than a glue gun! - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duddy wrote:
Makes you wonder what you are going to do to the TT

Not if you had even the faintest inkling of what Mike does to them!! Joker

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiwarrior wrote:

Do you have to purchase the Antena (RDS-TMC) sepeate ? TomTom website says that with the TomTom Go 530 it comes buit in, does that mean just the option to buy the antenna or does it actually come with it?

I doubt it says that....
The RDS-TMC is available seperately or can sometimes be bought bundled in the same box as the TomTom itself. In the case of the Go530 that would be called a Go530T.
But the RDS-TMC reveiver is never actually "built-in".
Dollysocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I finally took the plunge and updated the old Acer N35 and TT5,Having read lots of good reveiws on the 520 from CPC,order it last Sunday,arrived Tuesday.Great service,
Having never owned a tomtom before i have been blow away by how things have changed.
But have noticed service stations not shown (M6 stafford).Other than i have Not enabled something.
Updated map last might via Home and the gadet comes up as a GO720.

One chuffed bunny

Bob Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dollysocks wrote:
Hi all

I finally took the plunge and updated the old Acer N35 and TT5,Having read lots of good reveiws on the 520 from CPC,order it last Sunday,arrived Tuesday.Great service,
Having never owned a tomtom before i have been blow away by how things have changed.
But have noticed service stations not shown (M6 stafford).Other than i have Not enabled something.
Updated map last might via Home and the gadet comes up as a GO720.

One chuffed bunny

Bob Smile

Before you get TOO carried away, first things first is to do a Windows Exlorer backup (NOT using TomTom Home) and remember to do a fresh backup from time to time and EVERY time before you allow changes like updates to firmware and maps. Next thing is to get into our TomTom FAQs, then get our camera database and warnings, then consider our POIs. Do NOT bother yourself with the TomTom offerings of cameras and POIs, they'll just be a disappointment. D'you fancy your own car as a cursor instead of the arrow?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shiwarrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get a TomTom Go 730 in the end , sealed for £130

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: