Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Oz, any reason why you didn't use the original suction mount to stick to the base plate ?

Probably because the TomTom mount would stick up to much...... it would be around 4in above the dash using the standard mount.

I'm hoping to go down the velcro route to stick mine to the dash..... I know you can get some new velcro type strips that are made of interlocking plastic hooks rather than the old flexible sort of velcro..... the plastic sort lock together very firmly and reduce the chances of the unit vibrating off the dash.
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought the TomTom Go,initial thoughts are a superb system!
It was easy to set up( even for this techno phobic).The maps are crystal clear,voice directions loud enough to hear without straining.
The only downside is that the lighter socket plug doesn't seem to fit into my Ford Puma's socket correctly,careful gear changes neccessary to avoid banging the plug,this minor quibble aside the unit really is top notch.
Incidentally when is the professional fitting kit available
Syt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lampman wrote:
The only downside is that the lighter socket plug doesn't seem to fit into my Ford Puma's socket correctly,careful gear changes neccessary to avoid banging the plug

I normally drive with TomTom GO on battery power -> No cables at all Smile
I do not drive for too long at a time though.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the battery is (nearly) fully discharged (1) how long does it take to fully recharge if TT Go is not being used and (2) how long to recharge if it is in use?
Thanks.
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Battery Charging Reply with quote

I wonder if the TT battery will develop a memory point if it is continually recharged before first fully discharging(as some cam corder batteries do)
Or am I behind the times 8O
Also to emphasise my earlier point;the power plug provided definately doesn't fit the lighter socket,either in my car or my daughters new Citroen 3.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The batteries they use are not like the old Nicads and there is no memory effect. They can be discahrged and recharged between 300 and 1000 times before their quality degenerates.
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the best advice in daily use? I plug my TT Go in the carpower connection as soon as I step in the car. At home, I also connect it to the AC adaptor. So in general mine is always connected to external power. Does the battery play a role in that case? I don't think so.

Peter
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know it is better to have them always charged as many repeated cycles do cause them to "age" faster. General use makes little difference the stress is on the word 'many'.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: New to GPS Reply with quote

I've just purchased the TomTom Go and can'y wait until it arrives.

As i am new to GPS and these forums, can i thank you all for your comments and advice on the TT Go, this helped me make up my mind to which nav system to go for.

Thanks to all.

Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I only power it in-car and not in-house, and always tend to switch GO on before leaving the house so it's acquiring sats as I walk out the front door :D
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would not power it at home if it has been powered in the car because it would most probably be fully charged from the car and there would be no benefit.
Turning it on before reaching the car is a clever tip. Are there any more tips for using it? I've not got my TT yet, but if the sun is a problem as mentioned before, would a small shroud over the top and sides help so the screen is slightly recessed?
Wonderwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that would be a good idea.....hopefully someone will bring them out...
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've had a few days to get used to the TomTom GO and its bloody good as far as I'm concerned!...... I played around with the windscreen mount but couldn't find a place that I was completely happy with (my Road Angel speed camera finder sits to the right of the dash so the GO could only really sit in the middle of the screen).

I've now used extra strong velcro (£3.99 B&Q Velrco Heavy Duty strips) to secure it to the left side of the dash (I cut the strips to fit both sides of the central round connector area on the bottom of the GO)...... perfect position for it..... I can see it well, reach it easily and it doesn't interfere with the view out of the windscreen...... plus it takes no time to position and remove it with a rip of the velcro (I wouldn't leave the arm mounted in the car as it gives crims an idea that there may be something worth nicking hidden in the car).

The only downside with the GO so far is that the POIs are crap (in the restaurants for example they seem to be listed as place names eg "South Ealing"...... South Ealing what?.... pizzahut?, Kebabs R Us?, Gordon Ramsey?...... I was hoping they would include some decent pubs in the POIs but they seem to be rubbish chain restaurants) and you can't save a route to use again. What I do like is the route via option..... rather than do a one way route if you set your end point as somewhere a few yards away from your start point (assuming you want to come back to the same place eg. home) and use the route via to set your actual destination...... so GO takes you to the via location...... then you get back in the car turn on and it continues the route home.

I did get into some bother yesterday...... wanted to get to 171 Lower Richmond Road in SW14...... so off we go..... to 171 Lower Richmond Rd SW14 in Putney...... only to be told there is ANOTHER 171 Lower Richmond Rd in Barnes (also SW14)!!!! How daft is that!!!!!
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame there is no memory for often used addresses. Which is correct for the addresses you inputted - are you saying the map is incorrect? When I put Lower R Rd into the AA Route Finder it came up with the one at Putney but no mention of Barnes. When you input SW14 into Route Finder it comes up with Barnes but no Putney ???
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning via points. Is just one allowed or more than one?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 10 of 35

Jump to: