Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Premium TMC" on Navigon?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Premium TMC" on Navigon?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: "Premium TMC" on Navigon? Reply with quote

I am currently considering my options as I am beginning to lose patience with Tom Tom's Live services.

I know that Navigon will launch their Live services in December subject to sorting out a contractual issue but I also notice they advertise a feature known as 'Premium TMC' which is avaiable in the UK.

Can anybody advise what is Premium about the service over regular TMC? I know they take data from both ITIS and Trafficmaster but is this something else? How reliable is it and has anybody had problems accessing it through an athermic windscreen for example - previous TMC appliances have failed to work in my BMW.

Are there any subscription charges for Premium TMC (as separate from what they will charge for their LIVE services)?

I just want to know I am not jumping from the frying pan into the fire before I make any decision.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model of Navigon do you have? Some already have TMC.

The signal is via FM (normally classic FM) so reception can be patchy, unfortunately there's not a easy way to figure out if you will get good reception. Some people have gone to great lengths to get a good TMC signal.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have a Navigon yet. I am just trying to ascertain if I will get a better TMC service than with TomTom and to understand what is premium about their TMC.

I will likely get one of the LIVE units if I change so the reception wouldn't ultimately be an issue but the quality of data is what interests me.

No point changing if the Navigon doesn't provide a better service
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
I dont have a Navigon yet. I am just trying to ascertain if I will get a better TMC service than with TomTom and to understand what is premium about their TMC.

I will likely get one of the LIVE units if I change so the reception wouldn't ultimately be an issue but the quality of data is what interests me.

No point changing if the Navigon doesn't provide a better service

Hard to tell yet as it's not lauched yet. From what I know Premium TMC provides more data than standard TMC, but not knowing what TomTom use it's hard to compare.

Some details of the LIVE service is here

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/NAVIGON-Selects-INRIX-as-the-prnews-1802397165.html?x=0&.v=1&.pf=personal-finance&mod=pf-personal-finance
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Premium TMC" on Navigon? Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
I am currently considering my options as I am beginning to lose patience with Tom Tom's Live services.

I'm in this position too. I'm really looking forward to see how the Navigon system will work. I believe that the Navigon 'Live' services start in December for the UK? Might be contender for a Christmas present to myself!
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may give a better idea of the Intrix data that's going to be used.

http://www.inrix.com/solutionspnd.asp

It looks like Intrix collects data from many sources, Navigon devices included as when activating it asks if you would like to provide 'floating car data'
If TomTom also use Intrix, I would expect that no matter what device you use the data of traffic flow will get shared by Intrix as it's fed to them.

I've been told Dec too, no idea what time in Dec. At the moment Weather and Google is active.
Not sure when the Mobile camera's and live map update thing is planned for.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the TT Live traffic is not the quality of the data per se, it's that their servers keep crashing at peak times and so don't refresh the data (unless you switch the unit off and then on).

There are issues with some of their basic TMC stuff in so far as it doesn't seem to record when a road has been closed (because the Live service doesnt "see" any hold ups because there's nothing on the road and they don't seem to use any data from the usual providers i.e. Trafficmaster & ITIS to close this gap)

I will certainly wait for any announcments about Navigon going live bacause their representative at the MPH show in Birmingham last weekend did say there was a contractual issue to resolve before it would go live - though he did appear to infer it was nothing too major
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
The problem with the TT Live traffic is not the quality of the data per se, it's that their servers keep crashing at peak times and so don't refresh the data (unless you switch the unit off and then on).

There are issues with some of their basic TMC stuff in so far as it doesn't seem to record when a road has been closed (because the Live service doesnt "see" any hold ups because there's nothing on the road and they don't seem to use any data from the usual providers i.e. Trafficmaster & ITIS to close this gap)

I will certainly wait for any announcments about Navigon going live bacause their representative at the MPH show in Birmingham last weekend did say there was a contractual issue to resolve before it would go live - though he did appear to infer it was nothing too major

Wonder if someone is demanding more money or something. Funny thing is if you look at the info Intrix do seem to have some 'deal' with ITIS so hopefully Intrix will also use data from that source. In the Navigon you can select either TMC or LIVE for the traffic, seems a shame you can use both but maybe that's to stop possible conflicts of data.

Wish I'd know about the MPH show Sad I know the UK Navigon manager was there.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Premium TMC Reply with quote

My understanding of the Navigon Premium TMC is that many units come with "standard" TMC from Navigon - and this provides traffic via FM wherever in Europe this is a free transmitted service

Some counties, including the UK, require a one-off licence for the service and this is what the Navigon PREMIUM TNC includes - if you buy a TMC included Navigon from Halfords (UK version) for example, this works out the box in the UK (ie. premium paid), but if you buy from Europe, it would only collect data from the free ones

Maybe wrong, but thats what I've read into it and the Navigon TMCs from Halfords definitely function!!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation, that seems to make sense.

I note you also have a TT 530. How does your Navigon compare with that?

On the contractual issue, apparently it relates to Trafficmaster but as I said above it was inferred that it will be resolved in the near future.

I think it was the Navigon manager I was speaking to, he was extremely helpful providing a demo of the units etc. even though I had made it clear I wasn't going to buy one on the spot.

Complete opposite from the "muppets" on the TT stand in fact.....
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is relevant as well, from the user guides
Quote:
Note: TMC is available free of charge in many European countries.
PremiumTMC, promising a faster and more up-to-date service, is
offered (exclusively or in addition) in some countries at a charge.
You can subscribe to PremiumTMC services on our website
Still doesn't make completely clear, whether in the UK Premium TMC is distinct from plain TMC or whether there's only the one.

BTW perussell, PremiumTMC is included in the high end models but tends to be extra on the others - check for model you are interested in.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I think this is relevant as well, from the user guides
Quote:
Note: TMC is available free of charge in many European countries.
PremiumTMC, promising a faster and more up-to-date service, is
offered (exclusively or in addition) in some countries at a charge.
You can subscribe to PremiumTMC services on our website
Still doesn't make completely clear, whether in the UK Premium TMC is distinct from plain TMC or whether there's only the one.

BTW perussell, PremiumTMC is included in the high end models but tends to be extra on the others - check for model you are interested in.

I think TMC in the UK has always been a paid for service, generally in the past GPS companies used to just sell it as an add on (i.e. new mount with FM tuner in).
My dad's 4350Max certainly gets TMC information in the UK with no problems. On the shop it seems it's only possible to purchase TMC for a couple of devices.
I think PremiumTMC maybe just the name Navigon are using to include other countries where TMC data isn't free in all areas.
My understanding is TMC and PremiumTMC are the same thing?
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
I think TMC in the UK has always been a paid for service, generally in the past GPS companies used to just sell it as an add on (i.e. new mount with FM tuner in).

I too believe this is the case. Navman always used to refer to the paid for TMC service being included in your purchase of the adapter.

On my 7130 all the reports shown on the traffic report are marked as Premium TMC but I currently have this as a part of my package deal and didn't buy it separately. In france the TMC is free but that is usually because they are provided by the autoroute companies so you end up paying for it in kind.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Navigon v TomTom Reply with quote

There is little comparision between my TomTom and Navigon - of all the units I have, these days its rare for anything buy my Navigon to make an appearance

The MyRoutes and Multi-Route options just make route personalisation so easy for me that I get annoyed by the other units

In direct comparison to the TomTom, the Navigon outperforms the TomTom on display, features (GPS features, not "fun" extras), and map data - I get my 3 monthly updates from Navigon for under £20 for 2 years, which in my job proves invaluable, knowing while not perfect, it is the best map data available

The routing engine provides more efficient routes (or should I say, more of the routing choice I would make) on the Navigon than the TomTom

The TomTom needs a complete overall to try and play catch-up with Navigon - though marketshare proves me wrong on that one!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC 'definitions' from 8450/Functions on the Navigon site (FWIW)

Traffic Live:
Quote:
Thanks to traffic information in real time, NAVIGON users can find out where the roads are clear with Traffic Live*. You will be recommended the best route for you at all times – taking the current traffic situation into consideration.

* Included for the first three months, available in A, B, CH, D, DK, E, F, FIN, I, L, N, NL, S.
TMC:
Quote:
Avoid any unexpected stops along your journey: with TMC (Traffic Message Channel), you will receive the most important traffic information from the radio. The practical antenna is located in the car charger. TMC is able to get you straight to your destination, avoiding traffic congestion and road works – all without cable tangle.

Free TMC reception is possible in the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Italy, France, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Czech Republic
Premium TMC:
Quote:
You’ll be well informed: NAVIGON Premium TMC offers you the latest and most precise traffic information. For this, it has access to the latest regional sources in your current area. You’ll be able to avoid traffic congestion and other obstacles in time to get to your destination quickly and comfortably.

There is a charge for Premium TMC reception in Germany, Austria, France, Sweden, Norway, Finland and the UK.
So jonandmarkuk and mostdom seem to be correct, and I'm a little less confused (I think. Confused )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: