Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does a TomTom One IQ Europe or XL IQ read out street names ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does a TomTom One IQ Europe or XL IQ read out street names ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Does a TomTom One IQ Europe or XL IQ read out street names ? Reply with quote

Time to replace my old one V2 Europe and I am looking for a new GPS that reads out the street names, text to speech I think it is called.

Had a look on TomTom site but not really very clear.

I need Europe Maps as I take it on holiday to Spain. ( I am nice like that Smile )

I don't need Blue tooth, handsfree, live or Mp3 players etc, just a GPS that works.

Can anyone tell me if a One IQ or XL IQ reads out street names rather than just saying turn left ?

I found a USA comparison chart here:
http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_comparisons/tomtom-comparison-chart.html
looks like they do it on some models in USA but I want a Europe version,

Thanks for any help,

Mark
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do some clicking around in this link:
http://www.find-satnav-deals.com/

and you'll find the info you need for European TomTom units
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK models of the XL IQ and XL IQ Live don't come supplied with the TTS installed or enabled, however I do know its possible to get it working as long as you know which files to download and where to install them - Let me know when you get the unit Wink - Mike
gpssimon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Spoken Strret Names on TomTom XL Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Would love to have spoken street names on my TomTom XL IQ. Can you explain how to get it please

Thanks

GPSSimon
Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here... I'd like to know, as I MAY be buying a XL IQ to replace MY One v2...
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tell anyone, but it is possible and fairly simple.

First of all you need the TTS version of the Navcore. This is available for 8.417 and with a bit of mix and match of the TTS and non-TTS versions, 8.419 as well. All you need from the TTS version is the LoquendoTTS folder to add to the root of your 8.419 XL LIVE.

The Kate Computer voice files are easily available - links have been posted on this forum previously. Just extract the rar file in to the LoquendoTTS folder.

The problem now is that this will only work if your TT is supposed to support TTS. An easy way to tell is to look at your ttgo.bif file in a text editor (Notepad). If there is the following (or similar) in the Features section

TTS,TTSCompressed,TTSLoquendo700,

then guess what, it supports TTS and you should be away.

The problem is the UK retail units do not have TTS enabled. The hardware is the same, for some reason (Loquendo licensing?) it is not enabled. This is hard coded in to the device.

There is no point editing the ttgo.bif file as it is created by the device on boot up and your edits will be overwritten.

So, the answer lies in somehow stopping the ttgo.bif file from being automatically generated at boot, or finding some way of automatically editing the one the device creates before the device starts booting. The other option is changing the data in wherever the ttgo.bif file reads the features from.

If you are any good at Linux one answer lies in the ttsytem and PNDNavigator files. I, unfortunately, am not so don't know how to do it.

If you need any further info PM me.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From previous posts this should not be spoke about publically as TT will just bring out a new APP and it will stop this workaround as it is NOT for EU units. Maybe remove this too Andy. Wink
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy it while you can, if they do put the plug in to stop this from working then you have the option to stick with the current Navcore and TTS with the 835 map and possibly the next new map when ever that appears, its a stupid situation where users in North America and certain parts on Mainland Europe can purchase an XL with TTS but in the UK the option isn't available.
Perhaps it would be acceptable for TomTom to offer TTS on the XL range via the Home software for a token fee to cover the license, say £10 as a one off payment for those that want to have this facility, the current situation is nothing short of ridiculous when you can download files from the server at TomTom involving no password protection and upgrade your device - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to the situation with 720's where European models has VR and North American models were not meant to have it.

A simple 'hack' resolved the issue (this was back with N7.10) and our models have had it ever since .... Mind you, more hype than anything ...
gpssimon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. It sounds a bit too techy for me. I don't want to crash my unit.

GPSSimon
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they plug the gap then so be it.

I still don't understand why TTS is removed from the UK models when other parts of Europe and the US have it. All to save a few beans on Loquendo licensing and hope no one notices!
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise this is an old thread but at least it proves I search before asking questions Smile

I just got an XL Live IQ and TTH offered a computer voice called Susan so I downloaded it and TTS works perfectly so I guess this is now officially supported on the latest models.

From searching the forums I can see that Kate is a popular download. Is this a UK voice? (Susan is US) Where can I download that and does anyone know if any other female computer voices are available?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate is the UK Computer voice and you should be able to download it using TomTom Home, if it offered Susan perhaps it stupidly thinks you are in the USA?? - Mike
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... OK thanks Mike. I'll take a look but I can feel another phone call to those nice helpful people at TTCS coming on Smile

Andy will be loving this Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't get any sense post back here with what they said and we might be able to sort out a link from the server at TomTom for you to download the voice then install it using Windows Explorer - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: