Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Confused, which speed detector??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused, which speed detector??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshgasman wrote:
Doh!, and here I am with an Inforad AND PGPSW database. Surprised

Laughing But I'd only consider an InfoRad if my nav didn't support POI Alerts such as most in-car systems.

Our database on a PND is the best solution as being able to see where the alert is and what type etc is much more useful in most circumstances.
HotPot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have a TTS- capable model, that gives you the extra option of using the same voice as you have for navigation to read out the warnings.

Is that true for Garmin units? I would love to be able to do that. How would I set it up?
Bluetooth 3.40
GTM21:
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotPot wrote:
Is that true for Garmin units? I would love to be able to do that. How would I set it up?

That's a TomTpm feature. You can type any text as a custom alert and have the TTS voice read it out.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not find the text to speech warnings which you can type in very successful on the Tomtom 520 !! I found the vocal warnings provided by this site much better
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree the vocal warnings from this site are better, I found the typed warnings quite acceptable when I used them for the South African cameras.

Experimenting with creative spelling helps, e.g. Gatso is much clearer if you spell it "Gatsoh".
Samsung Galaxy S21
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Company car renewal time isn't far off, and I am considering a car with built-in satnav. Chances are it won't allow the adding of cam alerts. So, quick question re: the Inforad K1 which looks like a great little solution - are the alerts directional? The lack of directional alerts is what has always deterred me from putting the PGPS database on my Tomtom.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are directional. I've got a K1 in our car. Works well but the only gripes I have is it isn't possible to identify what the alert is for (mobile/fixed etc) and the alert beeps are very loud and not adjustable.

But at the price it is hard to beat and being essentially a USB stick it is superbly simple to update/charge etc.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
Company car renewal time isn't far off, and I am considering a car with built-in satnav. Chances are it won't allow the adding of cam alerts. So, quick question re: the Inforad K1 which looks like a great little solution - are the alerts directional? The lack of directional alerts is what has always deterred me from putting the PGPS database on my Tomtom.

Recently bought a car with built in sat nav and had been running a tomtom 520 with no route planned to pick up speed camera zones . I purchased the K1 it does the job very well as Darren has said !!
You can pick them up from halfords £39-99 !! you can adjust the distance it warns you and updating it is really simple
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren/John.

It's almost like the wheel has come full circle - the simple but effective K1 reminds me of my first GPS device, the Morpheous Geodesy! Cool
Kol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used an Inforad K1 for a few weeks now, and it is not THAT great!
Neat little device IF ONLY the following could be tweaked:
1. The warning distance to the camera is too long, even at its shortest setting. This means that for most of the time the very loud and unadjustable "over the speed limit" siren sounds instead of the warning beep that a camera is approaching. Wakes up all your passengers!
2. This siren should be user-adjustable so that I can turn it off. I just want a device to warn me that a camera is approaching. An "over the speed limit" warning would be useful once you are nearer the camera.
3. Interestingly for mobile cameras I can disable the siren, but not for fixed cameras.
4. Although sold as directional, I have not noticed it being directional regardless of the tick box in the directional menu.

For the reasons above I do not consider it a great device.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst it does have some downfalls but for £39-99 with free lifetime updates (hopefully which will be to the Pocketgps camera site )myself for the ease of update and the tiny size which can just slip in your pocket these benefits far out way the disadvantages .
It can pick up other speed camera zones in busy areas if you have the distance to long I agree
scamp15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a combination of the two are the best, i use various GPS detectors but always use a Radar detector. My current model is a valentine 1, pretty expensive at £525 but its one of the best out there. Picked up radar traps from miles and its pretty accurate. Laser is a bit more tricky if they hit a car before you the valentine will pick it up. Detected a laser site from a mile once, the trick is learning how to interpretate the direction arrow and tell tale signs of radar/laser warnings. But master this and you will detect 90% of mobile traps.
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone knows of a way to get directional alerts with the PGPSW database on a Tom Tom (or Garmin) it'd be a winner with me that I'd recommend. Novus do a directional overlay for the Tom Tom but their database is rubbish that'll happily warn you you've just passed a cam.

Contrary to posts above, the InfoRad K1 does not use the 'out of the box' PGPSW database. It uses an edited version of it which produces some annoying (=deafening) false alerts Evil or Very Mad . That said its convenience makes it excellent if you're travelling far and hiring cars.

The Origin B2 (obsolete but appears occasionally on eBay) was imho the best. The Origin (now Pogo) database is said to have declined recently but that display (set to display current speed) was the best. Sadly mine blew up Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: