Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom mapshare- Tele-atlas map corrections
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom mapshare- Tele-atlas map corrections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnblogs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Tomtom mapshare- Tele-atlas map corrections Reply with quote

Ok so I behave like a good little customer making careful notes of errors and uploading them to Tomtom. I buy the latest map upgrade and notice very quickly that none of the corrections that I have sent through, especially one from December last year have been made.

Emailed Tomtom, Pol, responds and at first sounded interested. By the second email I realised that they were just cutting and pasting stock responses back.

I went on the Tele-atlas site to report the errors, two different ones, yet I got the same stock response back.
"Report Status
We apologize, but due to the general nature of your report, we cannot define specific updates to our map database to address it."

What feedback have other users had?
[/quote]
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction from MapShare sent to TomTom are only just beginning to be sent to TeleAtlas (it took a long time to put the infrastructure in place)

And even then it would then be done on a prioritised process. In other words, if there is only ONE report of a change it will be very low on the list of places to re-survey.

To sum up, it's a good idea in theory.....
Johnblogs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy_P
So almost fraud then, based on the way the product is sold/marketed. I wish I had known the truth before I purchased as I may have chosen the Garmin units on map updates prices alone.

I have sent the corrections to TeleAtlas via their web site but until they actually respond in a way that we can use rather than the same reply for every report it seems completely pointless.

I intend to keep bugging TeleAtlas until I do get a proper response. I really wish I had not paid for the map update.
daveninvest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can TomTom continue to charge the exorbitant prices for map updates in the light of what's said above - and the fact that Google may start to release their mapping data for free ? Perhaps TomTom should look at the possibility of providing the old (ie. newly outdated) map free to existing users who have already paid for their maps when purchasing the device. Such an arrangement would enable users who don't need the latest release to keep reasonably up-to-date whilst those that require the very latest update can pay for it.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps TomTom should look at the possibility of providing the old (ie. newly outdated) map free to existing users who have already paid for their maps when purchasing the device. Such an arrangement would enable users who don't need the latest release to keep reasonably up-to-date whilst those that require the very latest update can pay for it.

Hi daveninvest
Now, that’s the best idea that I have come across in a long, long time.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveninvest wrote:
and the fact that Google may start to release their mapping data for free ?

for free? really? i'd not seen that part...! i would expect that if, say, garmin were to use the map data that they would charge for the data!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: