Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigating problem...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigating problem...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeramihi
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Navigating problem... Reply with quote

Hi

Don't know how exactly title this so here it goes...

I have recently upgraded to XL Live IQ Europe version, and I have it with the newest application. Unfortunately this version doesn't allow to navigate using postcode ONLY. After you have taped in the postcode it requires you to enter the building number as well, which can be pain in the a*** since I'm TV engineer and quite often I have to visit customers living in the named houses, these has no numbers at all. On my old GO 520 I've had old app which allowed me to navigate without building number.

Does any of you have a solution for this? I've tried to find some old app for my TomTom but no success, also, I've just upgraded to the new software, hoping for solution, but TomTom seems to be deaf for their customers...

If someone can post some external/old version system for TomTom to do the trick, or some third party plug in, anything, I will appreciate greatly.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yeramihi
A Postcode can cover quite a large area and therefore the device wants to know the house number. If you don’t enter a house number just select ‘Anywhere’ and it will navigate you to somewhere in the postcode area.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
yeramihi
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do me a favour and tell me exactly where is this 'anywhere' option? I cannot find it...

1. Tap screen;
2. Navigate to...
3. Address
4. Postcode
5. Enter: IP138LD
6. Choose: Mill Road

Now, this is an existing customer I have had, There is no house number on this building. My TomTom is already filled house number with the lowest possible number which is number 4 in this case. When you delete it and tap OK TomTom shows error msg please enter a number between 4 and 6.

If you look on google maps you will find that number 4 at Mill Road in this area is on the completely different part of this road then the postcode itself! This case is not that bad, only 0.5 mile difference, but once I have found myself on 7 miles long road trying to locate building without number using my PDA and google maps!

Is there any previous version of TTS for XL Live IQ Europe edition? If yes, can someone post a link to it, please?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
If you don’t enter a house number just select ‘Anywhere’ and it will navigate you to somewhere in the postcode area.

Unfortunately that isn't an option in later Navcore versions, Trevor.

yeramihi wrote:
Is there any previous version of TTS for XL Live IQ Europe edition?

According to the TomTom website Navcore Version 8.413 is the minimum requirement for the TomTom XL LIVE IQ Routes.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anita
I’m sorry, you are quite correct.
However, it will navigate you to the postcode. It cant navigate you to the particular building in the postcode because you haven’t a house number. If you navigate to address/Postcode/Mk196JJ , click on Ridgmont and leave the house number blank it will take you to the Postcode. If you click on Details and click Browse map of route it clearly shows all of MK196JJ. It cannot do more.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on my 720 with the latest Navcore (8.351), Trevor.

After selecting Ridgmont it shows House number 1. If you delete that and click OK it shows "Please enter a number between 1 and 124" and will go no further until you enter a number.

This has only been the case in recent applications, and has been discussed in several threads, including this one.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nuisance to say the least. Today, I went to W2 1QS, St. Michaels Street. My XL Live asked for house number and I had 75-77, so I tried 75. It wouldn't accept that and offered me 72. Although an even number, I thought that was fairly close and selected it. It said the destination is on a toll road (London Congestion Charge zone) - no option to avoid.

I tried again, this time selecting 77, which it wouldn't accept and offered 81. I selected that and it said would I like to avoid the toll charge and I did.

The true postcode for number 72 is W2 1QR and for number 81 is W2 1YN. Both share their postcode with several other premises on St Michaels Street.

The delivery address on my parcel had an extra line (not shown on Royal Mail website) namely Ambassador House. When I used Google Search on the XL Live, it found Ambassador House perfectly and navigated to it (having selected to avoid the CC Zone).

I looked up W2 1QS on Google Earth and it gave a fair pinpoint. When I zoomed in, I found street view photos of Sale Place which showed that Sale Place splits St Michael Street and one end is Congestion zone, the other is not. W2 1QS is outside the congestion zone. 71 St Michaels St is inside the CC, 75-77 is outside it - now that can make a difference of £8 to my costs!!

Checking the Royal Mail website, I find that W2 1QS is exclusive to British Telecom, 75-77 St Michaels Street. So in this instance, Navigate to should NOT offer any other number.

I also have a GO920 and when I did the postcode on that and didn't enter a number it happily selected the exact correct spot on St Michaels Street and when I chose to avoid the CC zone, planned the same route as the XL Live. Edit. Anita's right. She has reminded me that my 920 is running Navcore 8.302, as I have rolled back from 8.351 which is rubbish for my purposes.

The actual route (approaching eastbound along the A40 Westway) was convoluted and involved a U-Turn on Edgware Road at 8am rush hour! Fortunately, unlike us country bumpkins, London drivers are perfectly at home with U-Turns on anything wide enough to do it in (any London road where there isn't a No U-Turns sign - and even some of those!), so they willingly (including a red monster double decker) gave way to let me accomplish it. The return route back to Westway westbound was even more convoluted to avoid the CC Zone. I am so proud of myself that I managed to do it! In fairness, it was the TT devices which did it for me, because I would never have found it myself!

I don't know what the answer is to this postcode/house number problem, except to put it to TomTom for them to do some sort of correction. But don't hold your breath! If I remember correctly, I think Anita has already (without success) asked them to sort it out, but if/when I take it up with them, I expect it'll be treated with amazement at being the first they've heard of it. It is most certainly a downgraded function.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anita
Like Dennis I am running Nav 8.302 and not the latest version. I can quite see what you are saying and cant think of a simple way round the problem. After reading the last reply from Dennis I can not think of anything new to add.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my route, with the correct destination shown, using TomTom Online Route Planner (easier than doing screen shots). Red is the "going" route, blue is "returning" route. The difficult bit was of course getting the destination right. Strangely, W2 1QS did it perfectly with Route Planner, which accepted just the postcode, but 75-77, or 75, or 77 or Ambassador House, St Michaels Street got it wrong. No doubt others have already noted that Online Route Planner does not offer the chance to avoid the London Congestion Charge Zone (or any toll roads).

I get this destination on my GO920 with Navcore 8.302, using W2 1QS, without a house number. I cannot get it using the postcode on my XL Live with Navcore 8.417 or 8.419 (just upgraded last night in case TT say get the latest Application). If I search for Ambassador House using Google Search on the XL Live, it does it perfectly, but that is absolutely no use at all for yeramihi's problem - it only seems to have significant building names, presumably of businesses or landmarks, not Mr and Mrs Bloggs in Mon Repos or Wisteria Cottage.

I think the important message here is that yeramihi and I do not have the luxury of being able to do all this messing about with PCs, Google Earth, Google Maps, TT Online Route Planner, Autoroute Express, Royal Mail website when we're out on the road - a call to go to Mon Repos in Mill Road and Wisteria Cottage in River Lane can leave us miles off course. We've got TomTom devices to solve our problems and they've just disabled them! Evil or Very Mad Grrrr

Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis
In the dictionary the term 'upgrade' means ‘to raise to a higher standard. This doesn’t appear to apply to Tomtom.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I've told TomTom in my support question.
Quote:
My XL Live IQ will not accept Navigate to a postcode without a building number. This is a downgraded function compared to earlier versions of Navcore, for example 8.302 on my GO920.

Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think the new navcores are rubbish with postcodes. I have a two month old TT XL IQ Live and when I want to goto the postcode I switch on my Tmobile compact III mobile XT select it from there and then I browse the TT map, point it at the postcode and navigate there. Why we have to enter a house number is madness, no number and it could just goto the mid point on the road.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you believe this.....?
Quote:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care
The reference number for your query is 091031-228874.

Unfortunately as the maps for Tom Tom's have grown in size it has been necessary to reduce the Navigate to Postcode's functionality. It is just not possible to fit an upto date map and all the necessary house number information onto most devices.

In this case all I can do is apologise and hope that in the future our software engineers will re add this function to Tom Tom software.

With Kind Regards

Ash

The TomTom Customer Care Team
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Customer (DennisN) 31/10/2009 10.18 AM
My XL Live IQ will not accept Navigate to a postcode without a building number. This is a downgraded function compared to earlier versions of Navcore, for example 8.302 on my GO920.

Example 75-77 St Michaels Street, London W2 1QS.

Please read this Forum topic and advise me what you can do to correct the problem.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=80009&highlight=

I have replied thus.....
Quote:
08/11/2009 09.07 PM
Your reply is completely false!! It is the Navcore version which is causing this problem, NOT the map. On my GO920, using Navcore 8.351 I suffer this problem of being unable to navigate to the address I have quoted previously (W2 1QS). But using Navcore 8.302 I can navigate to it. Both Navcores are using the exact same map, 835.2419.

falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its any consolation, the new GO 950 has an 'anywhere' button so you do not need a house number if you don't need or have one!

iPhone 12
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
If its any consolation, the new GO 950 has an 'anywhere' button so you do not need a house number if you don't need or have one!

Thank you - I am totally consoled. Next time my XL Live takes me to the wrong address, I shall derive great comfort from knowing that a 950 would not have done so. Even more so if my XL Live takes me to the part of St Michaels Street which is inside the congestion zone, when the correct address is outside it - I'll just love paying the congestion zone fee for no good reason!

On the other hand, I may feel persuaded to buy a GO950 - do they work? Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: