Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 3 USA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 3 USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: TomTom 3 USA Reply with quote

Anybody know when TomTom 3 USA is going to be released?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon hopefully. TomTom were looking to release it soon after TTN3 Europe was released.
jrs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A found this on another site:

Message from TomTom support:
"TomTom Navigator 3 for the USA will not be available (USA or Europe).

We are looking into a solution for customers with Navigator 3 software (or want to upgrade to Navigator 3). Further information will soon be available on our website."

Can anybody confirm this "rumor"?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom will be merging the Pocket PC platform into the single platform release which is also currently supported by the Palm version and GO. TomTom have said that once all versions of their software are on the single platform to enable quick updates across the board, then a USA version will be available. Timescales are unknown but could be anything from a couple of months up to 6 or 8 months, depending on how well TomTom get on.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend another suitable USA street routing program? Or should I look at running TT2 USA alongside TT3 UK?
Scotes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
TomTom will be merging the Pocket PC platform into the single platform release which is also currently supported by the Palm version and GO.

Dave - If I read this correctly does this mean that when they get to this point there will be one software package that will work with both US and European maps? This would be great for those of us in the US wanting to take our PPC/GPS units on vacation with us to Europe without having to spring for another complete software package - just the maps.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software has been the same in TTN2 for UK, European and US, but not maps. No, you will still need to purchase the various map sets per the country you want to use.

The standard platform will be a unified release, so when a patch is released on the PPC, it will also work on the Palm and GO.
Scotes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - I think you misunderstood my question. I realize I would have to buy the appropriate map set (US or Europe). I would only need to use one version of the program itself. The case as it seems at present is that if I wanted to use TT in Europe it would be TT3 and I would have to buy the software and the maps instead of just the maps as I presume the TT3 Europe maps would not work with the TT2 software.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, once the common engine is available across the board then the plan is for standard maps to be available across geographical as well as hardware markets. i.e. maps will be common between PalmOS and PocketPC as well as between EU and US versions.
NikosF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things:

1. THe software for TTN version 2 was common between the US and European versions - I had them both installed and switched between maps easily. I only had to get the Maps of Western Europe to add onto my TTN2 US version.

2. It appears that TTN version 3 is indeed going to be majorly delayed for the USA. I heard directly from TT that this was the case. I was in a bit of a pickle because I had TTN2 for the US, and upgraded my Maps of Western Europe to v3 - but then couldn't use it because I didn't have a 'base application' (ie single country) to use them with. And couldn't upgrade my US version. My compliments to TomTom - they saw me right and sent me a free version of TTN3 for the UK to make up for it. Excellent customer service on their part. They may not know about toll roads, but they do seem determined to keep their customers happy Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikosF wrote:
A few things:

1. THe software for TTN version 2 was common between the US and European versions - I had them both installed and switched between maps easily. I only had to get the Maps of Western Europe to add onto my TTN2 US version.

Nobody is arguing this, the term 'Common engine' refers to the commonality across all platforms i.e. PocketPC, PalmOS and GO.

Quote:

2. It appears that TTN version 3 is indeed going to be majorly delayed for the USA. I heard directly from TT that this was the case.

TomTom have sinced announced that there will be not now be a TTN3 USA. As stated earlier, they are waiting until the common engine is available for all before releasing the next update which will be available for US and EU versions.
vlak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's all this about? The 2 links below seem to think they can sell it:
MobileDataDirect
Widget
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they're wrong! What they describe as TomTom3 USA is probbaly TomTom2 USA with the interim Map data release TomTom provided for the US product.

I can assure you that there is no such beast as TomTom3 USA!
vlak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,
I had no doubt whatsoever in your words, it's just a bit of misleading advertising on the part of those suppliers.
It's nice for a change to see our side of the ocean getting a new product before the USA!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: