Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom - Which model???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom - Which model???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom - Which model??? Reply with quote

Now the last time I bought a TomTom, there was not too much choice out there. Now it seems that there are about 2 dozen models.

I may be in the position to need a new sat nav device and would like a bit of advice. I would be travelling a lot in the south east of the country and would like some comments about the different models.

I would be lying if I said money was no issue, but I would like to get the best that I can. I'm sure there will be some questions back - so please fire away.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom XL Live, IQ Routes edition, Halfords do a UK & ROI one, when I got mine a month ago it was £179.99, but I see they now seem to price it for £199.99. Smashing bit of kit.

Now come back saying what features you want or what price you can afford, otherwise you'll get a bunch more suggestions like this which don't help if we don't know what you want.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a useful site for comparing prices.

I see from there that totalpda have refurbed 530s with a free leather case for £137.99 including VAT, and free delivery if you quote FSD2.
Samsung Galaxy S21
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anita,
That link is great thanks for that.

I would be after UK & Europe, mainly France.
How does the live service work? I assume there is a subscription. Is this the same service as the RDS receiver?

Mark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS-TMC is free to use once you have purchased the receiver, Live services are subscription based with a monthly charge to use them, in addition to Live HD Traffic you get other options such as the very handy Google search, Weather etc. The HD Traffic is considerably better in use than the data and reception issues you find when using RDS, whether its worth the monthly charge is really down to each individual - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware of two factors regarding HD Traffic - it comes as part of the service with LIVE devices (e.g. XL Live, 540 Live, etc).

First, as Mike says, that's a subscription service, roughly £8 a month, BUT I don't think you can get it monthly AND ending the service is not just at a month's notice (can take up to three months to close the subscription). The LIVE models do come with a free three month trial.

Second, the LIVE service is phone SIM card based (built in, not accessible SIM) and right now the service only works in the country where you buy it, so it wouldn't work in France (no Traffic, for example). Supposedly TT will incorporate multi country roaming service "shortly" on new models, but exactly when we don't know and it's a good question as to how they will deal with existing devices - my own guess is they will not be changed.

The RDS-TMC aerial works in any country which broadcasts FM Radio Traffic, so it will work in France.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XL Live models and the x50 Live models (when they go on sale) will have roaming enabled so you could use the device in any country that supports the Live services throughout Europe. Only the x40 Live products don't currently have roaming enabled, it is going to be enabled for the x40 product range around the end of the year - Mike
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, thanks for the great responses.
I would only need the mapping outside of the UK for holiday so any live services are only for the UK.

I shall do a bit more homework on these devices.
Thanks again
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
in addition to Live HD Traffic you get other options such as the very handy Google search, Weather etc.l - Mike

I have never used the Google search on my 940 - is it really useful, compared with say Google on my iPhone ? I suppose the advantage is that any location based search can then be acted upon directly by TT without further input. Trouble is it's not a qwerty keyboard.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 940 uses a Qwerty keyboard when performing a Nav To/ Google, if you don't have this and you want it simply change the keyboard settings in change preferences - Mike
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
My 940 uses a Qwerty keyboard when performing a Nav To/ Google, if you don't have this and you want it simply change the keyboard settings in change preferences - Mike

Ah, I have never noticed that in preferences. And do you find Google in TT handy ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I think its the best part of the Live services, it works very well to find locations that you can simply Navigate to or even phone up via the device if the phone is connected via Bluetooth all from a simple search - Mike
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
To be honest I think its the best part of the Live services, it works very well to find locations that you can simply Navigate to or even phone up via the device if the phone is connected via Bluetooth all from a simple search - Mike

I'll give it a whirl. However, tbh it's so easy to dial a number from an iPhone web page that I can't see it would be any easier.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Google Search quite a lot for whitevanman work. Frequently I'm given name and address of a company over the phone, by staff in the back office who have themselves taken those details by phone, so it can sometimes get like Chinese Whispers, with details a bit garbled. Google Search for the company name will often resolve a dodgy postcode, or Search for a postcode will often give me the names of all the companies in an industrial estate to find the accurate name. Last week I also used it to find a nearby chippy (Mr Chippy was first on the list. First and last time I ever have Rok and chips!) for my evening grub, then almost every week a nearby Post Office to pick up my pension. I think on the x40 device (when connected to bluetooth phone) it displays the phone number and asks if you want to call it (similar to Favourites and POIs). The offered "Navigate to it" button is a boon when I've had to do the search. I expect it'll be the Search facility which persuades me to subscribe to Live services when my three month trial expires.

I can't see what the need is for a qwerty keyboard when I'm doing 1-finger typing, be it on TomTom or phone (but I'm a rubbish typist anyway, so maybe that's the difference!).

TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I use my Google Search quite a lot for whitevanman work. Frequently I'm given name and address of a company over the phone, by staff in the back office who have themselves taken those details by phone, so it can sometimes get like Chinese Whispers, with details a bit garbled. Google Search for the company name will often resolve a dodgy postcode, or Search for a postcode will often give me the names of all the companies in an industrial estate to find the accurate name. Last week I also used it to find a nearby chippy (Mr Chippy was first on the list. First and last time I ever have Rok and chips!) for my evening grub, then almost every week a nearby Post Office to pick up my pension. I think on the x40 device (when connected to bluetooth phone) it displays the phone number and asks if you want to call it (similar to Favourites and POIs). The offered "Navigate to it" button is a boon when I've had to do the search. I expect it'll be the Search facility which persuades me to subscribe to Live services when my three month trial expires.

I can't see what the need is for a qwerty keyboard when I'm doing 1-finger typing, be it on TomTom or phone (but I'm a rubbish typist anyway, so maybe that's the difference!).

I'm sure it's useful if one hasn't got an iPhone, but the iPhone is just so usable that I find it difficult to believe that the TT could be any easier. Particularly with two finger pinch, and 3 finger tap to zoom, for someone like me who ideally needs reading glasses, it is so easy to use.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: