Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trying to pair 920 with a new Blackberry Cell phone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to pair 920 with a new Blackberry Cell phone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Trying to pair 920 with a new Blackberry Cell phone Reply with quote

I've got the 920. It is paired with my Blackberry 8830.

I am trying to add a new phone. Problem - I don't see anywhere to manage the phone connections at all. I seem to recall such a screen or option. Another issue - on the Preferences screens, the Bluetooth option is grayed out - I cannot do anything affecting bluetooth.

The new phone shows the 920 but the 920 seems oblivious. I have not done any pairing in over a year or so, so I really don't recall the entire procedure. But I don't see where I can add/control the phone or grab its address book, etc.

Any help appreciated.
travisb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if this works:

From the 920 main menu, select Mobile Phone, then Manage phones, then Find other phone.
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's part of the problem. I don't see any place to select Phone settings at all. Nor Bluetooth.

Bluetooth is grayed out and NO phone options.

Maybe one of the 3rd party apps I have installed "removed" or hides any phone option.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disabling the Bluetooth in the Preferences menu might remove the phone paring menu, but I'd have thought not the other way round.

I'd try reinstalling the operating system.

One daft idea - the bluetooth transmitter does switch itself off if you are very low on battery.

Also, just to check we are singing from the same hymn-sheet... when you go to "Change Preferences" can you get to "Bluetooth Preferences" (page 7 of 9 on my 720) and that ISN'T greyed out?

Then if you go into that menu is the top left ICON saying "Enable Bluetooth" or is it saying "Disable bluetooth" and is THAT icon greyed out?
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I canNOT get to BluetoothPreferences - that is GRAYED out.

I not dickered with the OS for quite some time and a bit reluctant. The battery was low the other day when I first thought about trying to pair the new phone, another Blackberry.

I admit I am behind, purposely, in OS. I've got 7.221

Just removed the sdkregistry (from the card) which had 3rd party apps - no change. Still BT grayed out.

And while there is a "phone symbol" with a ? next to it in the lower left, I cannot find a "Manage Phones" icon either. The ? might be because I've turned off the original phone.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Near the end of the preferences pages, check to see if there's an option something like "enable wireless data". If this is disabled, all the bluetooth options are also inaccessible.

Well, I'm sure it's like that on the latest navcore on my 730 sitting at home at present. Smile

The question mark in the phone icon is just saying that it doesn't know the status of the phone link - sounds about right based on your problems getting bluetooth working.
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we may be at a stalemate if you've got a software-based problem but are unwilling to reinstall or update the software! Confused

If you've already made a proper, full, Windows Explorer backup then there should be no worry trying new software.
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I think we may be at a stalemate if you've got a software-based problem but are unwilling to reinstall or update the software! Confused

If you've already made a proper, full, Windows Explorer backup then there should be no worry trying new software.

I may just give that a shot. Can I still use my OLD maps. I really don't see any reason to shell out for new maps. I do have what I believe is a full backup of the system.

And to the other inquiry - yup, WIRELESS or whatever is also grayed out on that preferences page. I have not tried my Remote - it works!!!

Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you will still be able to use your old maps.
Also, if you don't like the new software for any reason, we can advise on a download site for the same software version you are currently using.
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been a few months but success spurred by the fact that I did an OS upgrade on the BB Tour and I was having issues with all of my Bluetooth devices. I had to remove and re-add them all. So there was TomTom and I still had the GRAYED out bluetooth on the TomTom.

I backed up, removed all 3rd party additions to the tomtom. Nothing. I did the 15 second reset - nothing (well, I lost all of my settings, Itineraries and recent finds, etc). I figured I would upgrade HOME and found the FAQ's on TomTom's site. I saw mention of the Clear-Flash tool. Downloaded it (the setup.exe kept calling up some MS codec installer!!!) and used the ZIP version. Rebooted the tomtom and there was a phone icon and Bluetooth was NO LONGER GRAY.

Paired up the Tour and Tom.

Success!

Now to decide whether to bring the tomtom OS into the new decade or leave well enough alone. As mentioned above, I have OLD maps and OLD OS. 7.221 firmware and NorthAmer v716.1712

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: