Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Backups required to save changes prior to mapupdate
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Backups required to save changes prior to mapupdate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Backups required to save changes prior to mapupdate Reply with quote

Hi Y'all

I have favourties, custom POI's and edited some of TomTom's POI's (e.g. corrected location of entrances to Golf Courses /hotels etc and added phone numbers to some POI's).

How do I back the specific files which hold this info before I update my europe map to the latest version? just incase I lose the updated info during the process.

I could always copy the entire device to a dvd....but didnt want to have the hassle.

Many Thanks.

P.s Is the latest version of the OS worth updating to? currently running 8.302 on a GO930T with little problems.

cheers
jonathan
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always do a complete backup using Windows Explorer before doing anything to your device - especially something that will delete loads of files such as an upgrade.

If the changes to POIs are your own sets (ie not the built-in ones from TomTom), they will be in their own ov2 file in the folder with the map data.

I would take the opportunity now to make a POI set called eg MyFavs and populate it with your favourites. It's much less hassle to do this now than to try getting them back after an upgrade as the mapsettings.cfg file can change format between map versions.

Did I say MAKE A COMPLETE BACKUP NOW! Wink
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Backups required to save changes prior to mapupdate Reply with quote

jawilson59 wrote:

I could always copy the entire device to a dvd....but didnt want to have the hassle.

It's a LOT more hassle trying to recreate everything if you haven't!

If you lose your map in the update, you're completely stuffed without a full backup.
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a complete backup of the device as it came out of the box and then after i updated to OS 8.302 and the latest European & NA maps at that time (a few months ago).

so rather than have another dvd, i just wanted to backup the files that had changed, i.e. Favourites, custom POIs and edited POIs.

after a sucessful update to the new map (dont know if i will update the OS to 8.351) i will backup again.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your desperatley short of hard disk space copy everything to a folder on the hard drive.

If you are short of space it might be worth adding more storage, either internal or external. For £40-60 you should be able to add 500-750GB
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Windows Explorer to view the folders and files on the device, open the Western_and_Central Europe folder and copy the following files to your PC:

MapSettings.cfg (this is your favourites and some other settings)
Any file ending .ov2
Any file ending .bmp (The ov2 and bmp are for each custom POI category)

Update your map and make sure the device is working correctly now copy the files from your PC back to the Western_and_Central Europe map folder.

If having done this you find the device won't boot up correctly re-connect the device to the PC and and use the opperate my go function within Home to add/ change a single favourite then disconnect from the PC and try again - Mike
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to backup to a DVD just a specific folder on your computer. I make a new one every few weeks because I do use mapshare updates (Sorry Dennis) and this means I always have a reasonably recent copy of everything.

Every now and then I just delete some of old backup folders but seem to have around at least about six still left on the computer.

Read all about it in the FAQ section once you get into the swing of it its really very easy to do.

About every other backup or when I remember it I also copy everything to a new SD card (I have a TT510) and then use that in the device so I always have one spare with me anyway. I learned almost to my cost many years ago when I was an IT manager that even a belt & braces approach can go wrong its then down to a hope and a prayer.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TomTom folder on the PC is currently consuming 149GB of applications and maps for the various devices so storage can become an issue if you are using an old PC with limitted storage - burn the backup to a DVD and delete the files from the PC if you really need to - Mike
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok,

i can get my favourites and my own POI's, but where are my changes to TT's POI's saved?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know it's 'MapUserPatch.dat' in your current map folder.
But it's probably map specific so won't work if you buy a newer map.
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so does that mean everytime u update ur maps, u lose any map corrections you have map, that may not be included in the TT map update?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup!!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
My TomTom folder on the PC is currently consuming 149GB of applications and maps for the various devices

Mine (on a 1,000GB disk) is 166GB. I never dreamed I'd ever have more backup than Mike. Bouncing But then, his is probably extra useful, not like my mundane stuff which covers backups for devices I haven't owned for years!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would treat any updates to TomTom's own POIs the same as MapShare updates and expect them to disappear after the map update. Personally, I would set up new POI categories for info you want to keep.
Brodit ProClip mount
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Yup!!!

Thats CRAP!!!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: