Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom START launched
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom START launched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.........so can you imagine the response from the guy in Halfords when the customer complains that he can't get postcodes on his/her SatNav.

"Ahh, yes Sir/Madam, but if you want that feature we have the TT One and that will be £40 (or whatever) extra please."

How many times have you seen a smart salesperson use a 'cheap' offer to entice a person into the store only to then upgrade them to something they didn't really need in the first place.

I suspect the "Start" will be the kind of device you will find on the shelves of your local Morrisons or Tesco in time for Xmas.

Every product has its' own niche and I suspect the Start will prove to be quite popular with the 'less informed' members of the motoring community.
zark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbish, rubbish, rubbish... for all the reasons listed above and a crazy price point.

i'll replace mine when it dies with an old One v4 instead of this!

Essential features missing and far too expensive. An own goal for tomtom IMO
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And whilst you are right that it will find a niche, it doesn't excuse TomTom for banking on consumer ignorance to sell it.

Even TomTom's staff at the launch were gloriously ignorant of the lack of UK 7 Digit PostCodes so I hear.

For those who do no research then it will doubtless sell as do the devices churned out via Lidl and Aldi time after time.

But for those that do bother to research their purchases I hope they see our comments and those of other sites, "don't waste your money".
dlpruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You will admit you're in the minority there. Even in rural areas a PostCode will at least focus the 'Browse Map' function on the approximate area to assist you.

I don't know many people or companies who can supply their Lat/Lon when you ask how to find them or publish that info on their web-sites. PostCodes are supremely useful in the vast majority of cases.

Agreed, but most people know where they are - even if they don't have an on-line map - and I find it easy to locate the lat/long numbers via Tyre if they just tell me something like: 'Mr Bloggs works in our transport depot at Fred Lane in Somewhere, opposite the church'.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a full time delivery driver for Tesco home shopping based in Newcastle, I have to cover a large proportion of rural Northumberland. A lot of addresses are farms or houses in the most remote places, up tracks, over fords, through gated fields etc.

I always find that the Tomtom postcodes feature will get me within a mile or so at its absolute worst. But most of the time, when the 'you have arrived at your destination' alert is heard, I am a lot closer than a mile to the destination house!

There are always going to be exceptions, especially the more rural you go. But from my experience, even with no street name and number, I use the postcode function and it never lets me down!

A major omission to remove its function for the Start device IMHO!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have ever navigated by full postcode from the original TT Navigator to the 940 apart from playing with it to discover features. The only time I recall using postcodes is to differentiate between streets in the London with the same name and then it is usually only the first part of the postcode.

When I was young postcodes did not exist outside of City Centres and I learned to navigate on Ordnance Survey & Bartholomews using a magetic compass and grid references. I've still got my Philips' Universal map Measurer (a little wheel on a thread) to measure distance on maps.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very first tme I used Navigate to Postcode I entered the wrong value, I was aiming for RAF Coningsby but got the "You have arrived at your destination" as I pulled off the A1M in to a farm yard! - lesson learn't the hard way - I have to say though I use the postcode more than any other method on any of my units - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on paper road atlases and street A-Zs until 2005 when I got my first TomTom (GO300). After the first time I used it with postcode, I never looked back and to think of going out without postcode navigate facility would now fill me with dread. It has only once seriously let me down, dumping me nearly 2 miles away from true. Once in four and a half years and I hate to think how many miles (well over a quarter of a million).

Major mistake, TomTom.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Pocketgps wrote:
The mount has to be removed, as Darren's pic above to get to the reset pin hole.

There is no reset pin hole. As per other recent TomTom devices, reset is achieved via long press of the power button.

Question Laughing
rescueme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stuck on whether to get one of these or not.. let me explain..

I got a phone call last night from my mum who is district nurse (and more importantly a complete techn-phobe) telling me that due to the ever incresing privatisation in the NHS she is now covering an area of urban manchester stretching from the Lancashire border down to Salford. And although she has been a district nurse for 20 years, she is now struggling going to places utside of her 'old patch'.

So she has decided that she needs a satnav, and rings me for advice,(which means pick one/buy it/take it to her/fit it/show her how it works) so I fire up the laptop and open up this site to find the news that the SMART has been released.. RESULT I think. Just what mother needs, a simplified tomtom.

I have a look at oline retailers and find Comet are selling them, drive 20miles to my nearest Comet to find they haven't got any...

So, I'm thinking does the inability to Nav via postcode outweigh the simplicity of SMART? She will be navigating to peoples houses, and a lot of the time won't have the postcode just the street address. But for the difference between that and a one will it make the difference?

I can't decide... any thoughts ladies and gents?? Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:

Question Laughing

The device I have sat here does not have the hole in the case but on removing the case I see the pin reset hole.

I should know better than to comment on pre-release hardware though so will make no further reference to it.

Last edited by Darren on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rescueme wrote:
I'm stuck on whether to get one of these or not.. let me explain..

[snip]

So, I'm thinking does the inability to Nav via postcode outweigh the simplicity of SMART? She will be navigating to peoples houses, and a lot of the time won't have the postcode just the street address. But for the difference between that and a one will it make the difference?

I'd suggest that 7-Digit PostCode lookup is very useful for someone doing home visits.

Look at the entry level TomTom ONEs instead. Only a little more expensive (if at all given discounts) and better featured. The so called simple menu does not make it very different and if my 76yr old in-laws can use the standard menu with a quick demo from me I think it's already easy enough.

Last edited by Darren on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rescueme wrote:

Halfords - XL Live - UK & RoI map - £179.99 (unless they are reducing them). Nice wide screen, it's not a toy like this START thing sounds to be.

I've been whitevanning for quite a while and this device works for me. Out of the four on my windscreen, it's the one I've given front stage to.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom ONE v4 £99.99 (with voucher code) at Halfords, see here or the widescreen XL version for £107.97.

Both cheaper than the START at £118 when Euro converted.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Pocketgps wrote:

Question Laughing

The device I have sat here does not have the hole in the case but on removing the case I see the pin reset hole.

I should know better than to comment on pre-release hardware though so will make no further reference to it.

You DO have to remove the case, there is not hole in the outer moulding.

Yet another clever TomTom feature Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: