Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 510 settings question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 510 settings question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CliveBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: TomTom 510 settings question Reply with quote

Hi
I have just inherited an old 510, after doing an explorer backup I went through TT home and did the updates offered, but when starting up and entering the basic settings (clock Miles/Km etc) I get the message file access error unable to save settings.
Also is it possible to to swap the SD card for a bigger capacity one, I had a quick go but get the message maps have not been activated.
Apologies if this appears twice I hit the submit button without adding the subject line
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Settings not being saved - happens occasionally, could be because the file "MapSettings.cfg" or the folder it is in (your current named map) has become set to read only.
Check the file/folder attributes using Windows Explorer.

If it looks OK, you may fix it by deleting the file and letting the unit make a fresh one next time it switches on.

Also try a reset of the device (pin in tiny hole on the bottom - WHERE TO FIND IT)

Yes you should be able to copy everything to a new SD card, but if it is an old map you need to activate the map. Is it asking for an "activation code"? If so, you need the 'device code' of the TomTom and the 'product code of the map', and enter those codes into www.ttcode.com
(also has a help file).

If you don't know the product code, you may be able to bypass this step by using TomTom's "Home" utility to copy the map to the new card.
Note that on this model you need to have the TomTom application and a voice to be installed on every card.

There may be another way to find the product code inside a config file, but I don't have a backup of a sufficiently old map to hand at the mo - they're all on CD-Rs in the loft!
I can have a look tomorrow if no-one else comes up with the answer before then.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom suggest running the Clear flash tool if you encounter the 'file access error'.

You can find it here. Run it 3 times.
CliveBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, DHN,
Once again thanks for the very quick responses, it is fixed, the folder was read only so changed that and had to run clear flash which has fixed it. I will have to wait to use a larger capacity card the product code is at work so will have a go Monday
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the device is working OK now you can copy everything to a new larger card without using the product code. Depending upon what devices you have available to you either copy/backup everything on the existing card to a folder on your PC read about backups in the FAQs, then put the new card in your TT and copy everything back to that. If you have a card reader just copy from the TT to the new card in the reader.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
If the device is working OK now you can copy everything to a new larger card....

I read his first post as saying he'd tried that and it hadn't worked.....
CliveBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Andy, I did do a straight copy from original SD card to higher capacity one and as discussed the map needs to be activated on this new card. So as I have the all the documents required I will wait until I am in work, use the required information and enter it on the TomTom web site.
Thanks again for all the responses

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: