Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cannot see SD card from computer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot see SD card from computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Cannot see SD card from computer Reply with quote

I have an SD card installed on my Nuvi 660 that contains custom POI files that I originally installed by plugging the SD card directly into a drive on my computer. When I connect the GPS to my computer I cannot see the SD card even though the Nuvi sees the custom POIs when I use the unit. Could this have anything to do with the fact that I said not to ask me again to transfer new data from the SD card to the Nuvi memory? Or is there something else that I am missing?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the SD card not show as an extra drive on your PC? You should have (for example) a F drive for the Nuvi internal memory and a G drive for the SD Card? You should be able to see both regardless of your POI arrangements.

Maybe try a different USB Port?
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the Nuvi shows up. I would expected the SD card to show up as another drive but not the case.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my PC, my nuvi 255 shows up as Drive E "GARMIN" .The SD card within the nuvi shows up as Drive H "Removable Disc" and I can drill down to see the contents of the SD card.

Usually I just have the SD card in a card reader. Apparently data transfers are quicker that way.

Dales.
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I do use the SD card in the computer card reader so it does not seem to be affecting its use as the POI files are showing up ok when it is plugged into the GPS. The four card slots each show up as removable drives and there would appear to be available drive letters for the SD card but perhaps there is a limit on how many can be mapped. I'll check that out in XP. Thanks for confirming that your SD card does show up as expected.
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been able to find any reason why the SD card should not be seen by the PC when the card is in the Nuvi. However, I got a new card and plugged it into the Nuvi expecting to be prompted by the Nuvi to format the card. Nothing. How did you format your card?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the card reader has failed. Probably best to speak to Garmin.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, I think PaulB means the card reader within the Garmin, not your own item.

I'm pretty sure I just used my SD card straight out of the box from when I bought it, no formatting required.

Since I've started using the SD card, I have to say NO each time I switch the unit on, as it asks me every time if I want to transfer the data to the unit (and I don't want to!).

Dales.
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also get prompted to transfer data each time I change the content of the SD card. I suspect that the reason that I cannot see the SD card from my PC is that there is an issue with the Garmin driver. I have tried to update the driver but have not been successful and have opened an issue with Garmin. I will probably just continue to update the SD card directly from my PC even if I resolve the issue of not seeing the card when it is in the GPS. I do appreciate the responses and think that I know a bit more about what is going on as a result.
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought that I would update everyone who replied to my original post. I have figured out why XP was not seeing the SD card when it was in the Nuvi. I had a networked drive mapped to drive letter N. When the Nuvi was connected to the computer XP mounted it as drive letter M. Unfortunately, XP insisted on mapping the SD card not to the next available drive letter but to the next drive letter after M. This probably would not have happened if the N drive had been assigned to a local drive rather than a networked drive. I remapped the networked drive to P and the Nuvi SD then showed up as drive letter N.

It is interesting that Garmin wanted me to send the unit back to them and pay nearly £50. I would have thought that they might have asked whether there was a networked drive assigned to the next drive letter after the Nuvi before suggesting that I send the unit back to them. I hope that this information helps someone else who may be experiencing the same problem. And thanks to everyone who did respond to my original post. The responses were definitely helpful toward my arriving at the solution.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: