Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 4V00.710 - son's loss is my gain
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 4V00.710 - son's loss is my gain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theclaretvillan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: TomTom GO 4V00.710 - son's loss is my gain Reply with quote

Hi
I know very little about TomTom GPS's but my son gave me his "broken" 710 son time ago and having tried it, it seems to have risen from the dead.
Can anyone help me with information about it please?
The map on it is 650.1046 - how out of date is this likely to be? is updating it costly? It says GB plus major roads of Western Europe, is this of much use in e.g. France?
The SD card is very full 240.2MB/241.4, will I have room to add PGPSW speed camera info (maybe there is something I can delete)?
Can I buy a larger SD card and simply copy the contents of the original on to it?
The useless git (my son) has lost the Home Dock (I'm using a card reader) is there a cheap source of these?

Any other useful info?
Thanks in advance
Ken
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The v650 map is over four years old so you will find certain road layouts such as the lower sections of the M1 and the A1M South of Leeds will be incorrect as well as quite a few other roads. If you want a new map you need to purchase it via TomTom Home running on your PC with the device connected. Prior to doing this make a full backup of the existing card to your PC using Windows Explorer, then update the software on the device to the latest available using Home before finally purchasing a map, the Home application will then download and install the map to your TomTom.

As for use in France it will contain the main roads but not all the smaller local roads, you would need a map such as Western Europe for the device to offer full capability in all of Europe. If you want full Europe consider this when you decide about updates to the map, it will be cheaper in the long run to get the larger map if you need to use it on mainland Europe.

You can fit another SD card to the device, they will support up to 2GB but make sure its a good quality high speed card, I wouldn't purchase a card from E-Bay as there are too many cheap cards that claim to be hight speed that simply won't work in the device. To free up space on the existing card you can remove some files from the voices folder, you only need the UK voices so keep the following files:

data04.chk (UK Tim Voice)
data04.vif
data05.chk
(UK Jane Voice)
data05.vif

All the others can be rmoved.
I would expect the PGPSW speed camera database will fit on the device without removing anything though as the files are quite small in file size. If you are going for the larger Western Europe map then you will need a 2GB card as the map won't fit on the card you currently have.

For a Home Dock E-Bay is probably your best bet, a quick search turned up This which isn't too costly - Mike
theclaretvillan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The v650 map is over four years old so you will find certain road layouts such as the lower sections of the M1 and the A1M South of Leeds will be incorrect as well as quite a few other roads. If you want a new map you need to purchase it via TomTom Home running on your PC with the device connected. Prior to doing this make a full backup of the existing card to your PC using Windows Explorer, then update the software on the device to the latest available using Home before finally purchasing a map, the Home application will then download and install the map to your TomTom.

As for use in France it will contain the main roads but not all the smaller local roads, you would need a map such as Western Europe for the device to offer full capability in all of Europe. If you want full Europe consider this when you decide about updates to the map, it will be cheaper in the long run to get the larger map if you need to use it on mainland Europe.

You can fit another SD card to the device, they will support up to 2GB but make sure its a good quality high speed card, I wouldn't purchase a card from E-Bay as there are too many cheap cards that claim to be hight speed that simply won't work in the device. To free up space on the existing card you can remove some files from the voices folder, you only need the UK voices so keep the following files:

data04.chk (UK Tim Voice)
data04.vif
data05.chk
(UK Jane Voice)
data05.vif

All the others can be rmoved.
I would expect the PGPSW speed camera database will fit on the device without removing anything though as the files are quite small in file size. If you are going for the larger Western Europe map then you will need a 2GB card as the map won't fit on the card you currently have.

For a Home Dock E-Bay is probably your best bet, a quick search turned up This which isn't too costly - Mike

Thanks Mike
Have updated the speed camera database.
So is 2gb the largest card it can take? - I was going to go for bigger.

Can I just copy the contents of the original card onto the new one?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the x10 devices can use cards larger than 2GB and a 2GB card is plenty large enough for a Western Europe map. You can indeed simply copy all the files and folders from the old card to the new card - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theclaretvillan wrote:

So is 2gb the largest card it can take? - I was going to go for bigger.

Can I just copy the contents of the original card onto the new one?

99% of cards larger than 2GB actually use the SDHC format which the older TomToms cannot handle. There were a couple of 4GB non-HD cards made by Transcend and Topram, but they may no longer be available.

Yes, you should be able to simply copy the contents of the old card to the new one.

(Edited to correct "car/card" typo.)

Last edited by Andy_P on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The v650 map is over four years old so you will find certain road layouts such as the lower sections of the M1 and the A1M South of Leeds will be incorrect as well as quite a few other roads.

And you may particularly care that it doesn't have the latest London Congestion Zone.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TT710 with 2Gb card by Veho. Not a well known make but works like a dream.
Full UK WE maps, about 3 years old now I think, not missing much in the way of road layout that I have used in the UK. But haven't used it as far up as Leeds.

Pity it's so bulky otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought the 720 to be honest. Don't need the two of them.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
Don't need the two of them.

Heresy!!!!! That's only half as many as the minimum requirement. Stop it!

Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
253 wrote:
Don't need the two of them.

Heresy!!!!! That's only half as many as the minimum requirement. Stop it!

Very Happy
Takes me all the time to manage one, the old 710 is gathering dust under the table last time I saw it.
Which reminds me, better charge it up in case the battery gives up the ghost.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not sell it to Dennis, I think there's still a tiny unoccupied patch on his windscreen!
theclaretvillan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the help so far. Another question.
Am going to get a map of Western Europe -can I just get any version?
I was going to look on eBay etc - as long as the map is genuine - will it be "locked" - will I have problems loading a second hand one?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the answers to THIS question.
Basically, a lot of maps on eBay have been found to be dodgy copies.
A genuine map originally supplied on an SD card and still on that same card, should be OK, but then you never know how old it's going to be.....

(Edited to correct link)

Last edited by Andy_P on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Have a look at the answers to THIS question.
Basically, a lot of maps on eBay have been found to be dodgy copies.
A genuine map originally supplied on an SD card and still on that same card, should be OK, but then you never know how old it's going to be.....
Eh? That link goes to replacing the battery in a thingy. Question

If you buy maps from anybody other than TomTom, you run a very high risk of buying a pirate copy, which either simply supports the illegal hackers or won't work on your device - maps are linked/locked to individual devices when downloaded, so only SD card purchases are not - in their case, they're locked to the card and cannot be copied and sold on another card. Honestly, you are far safer getting the map from TomTom.com - if it goes wrong, the least you'll have is lost money to some scab.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Eh? That link goes to replacing the battery in a thingy. Question

Embarassed Oops.. Link now corrected to the right topic.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: