Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stop Press! - Expansys reduce GO price to £425 Reply with quote

ahmurray wrote:
Having placed an order yesterday, I know see that Expansys have reduced the cost of Tom Tom GO from £447 to £425.
Fortunately I emailed them and they have agreed to reduce the cost of my order to the new price, which is good customer service (althouth I would have cancelled and re-ordered if they hadn't!
At this price TTG is exceptional value (IMO) and they should clean up!

6 days to go........

I just noticed Expansys lower price as well..... just off the phone to them..... they said that they would automatically charge the lower rate to existing customers who had ordered at the higher price.

You'll also be pleased to hear that they are now expecting stock on Friday 2nd rather than next week! Thumbs Up
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom GO ! <<LOOK>> Reply with quote

:D Helo there,

Does anyone one now if TomTom's Go works O.K with cars with a heated front windscreen?

I have a new shape Ford Mondeo, and just wanted to check before i buy one.

By the way wheres the cheapest you guys have found one?

Thanks Thumbs Up
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going on users experience with other GPS, the Ford heated screens do not cause any problems, strange considering they're almost Faraday cages!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would say is that heated windscreens can cause a little signal degredation when the coil is powered and the heater on, but it's not to the same strength as a UV/Athermic windscreen will degredate a signal so in 90% of cases you should be okay.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterLuit wrote:
As I drove through one tunnel yesterday, I experienced something new, which I had not seen before, the three letters ASN were blinking at the place where normally the sat signals are displayed.

What does this mean? Is ASN just very occasionaly active? (Then I have just seen it only once). What does it mean when ASN is not displayed and the screen goes into greyscale? In my experience navigation also goes on. So what is the difference? Has anyone seen the three letter ASN blinking on the display? Nothing is mentioned about that in the manuals.

ASN is the Assisted Satellite Navigation which is what happens when ASN is enabled in the preferences menu. ASN if it finds that you have lost satellite activity but you are still driving GO will recognise the direction you are driving in and the speed and continue to plot your route on the map. This is why the ASN letters have appeared when driving through a tunnel. When the screen goes into grayscale, it means that you have lost satellite reception altogether and you are not moving (or ASN isn't enabled). You will find the screen gray until you obtain a satellite fix and then it will go colour.
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Dave,

I do understand the principle of ASN. But the strange thing is that ASN seems to work only very ocasionally (at least in my TTG). In most cases in tunnels the screen goes into greyscale, but the systems keeps navigating me in the right way (it follows my movements....). When I get out of the tunnel the system receives the sat signals again and continues. But I have only seen ASN blinking on the screen one time, through a tunnel (and then the screen did not go into greyscale).

So, are there more similar experiences with ASN on the TTG?

Peter
Syt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom GO ! <<LOOK>> Reply with quote

Jonboy wrote:
:D Helo there,

Does anyone one now if TomTom's Go works O.K with cars with a heated front windscreen?

I have a new shape Ford Mondeo, and just wanted to check before i buy one.

By the way wheres the cheapest you guys have found one?

Thanks Thumbs Up

To be absolutely sure you can also buy an antenna kit for TomTom GO.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterLuit wrote:
When I get out of the tunnel the system receives the sat signals again and continues. But I have only seen ASN blinking on the screen one time, through a tunnel (and then the screen did not go into greyscale).
I really haven't been able to test ASN properly as I don't have any long tunnels near where I am, so it's difficult to test this, I did have a lot of problems with ASN enabled in pre-production and had to disable it for a while due to this.
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expansys received some GO stock today and mine has been dispatched..... so I will post my thoughts later in the week.
Hardnuts2Crack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Maps of other countries? Reply with quote

Well, I've ordered my TomTom Go and it should be here in the morning. Looking forward to it.

I'm driving through France at the end of this month, and want to get hold of a France SD card for the Go. Any idea if or when these maps are going to be on sale? Or is there any other method of acquiring one from, say, a French owner?
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardnuts try TomTom Direct, i was just on their site and they say they are available.
www.tomtom.com
Hardnuts2Crack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OZ wrote:
Hardnuts try TomTom Direct, i was just on their site and they say they are available.
www.tomtom.com

Are you sure? All I can find is a reference to the machine itself, with no indication when the TomTom store will actually start selling it, and a mention of the maps. No way to buy them that I can see.
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this moment TomTom only sells the cards in the countries where you buy the Go. That will change soon according to many sources. So, with any Go you get the area where you live, plus the main roads of Europe. If you have a 128MB SD supllied with the Go, buy a 256MB card and copy the contents and then add the Europe main roads......

Peter
Hardnuts2Crack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterLuit wrote:
If you have a 128MB SD supllied with the Go, buy a 256MB card and copy the contents and then add the Europe main roads

Yes, of course - except I don't just want the main roads! I'm not driving from Switzerland to Uzbekistan, I'm driving around France, and I want to see every road there is. I haven't seen the main roads CD yet, but I doubt it's that comprehensive.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardnuts, Sorry buddy looks like i've lead you up the garden path.
I just went back and tried it and yes you are right when you hit the map link in the go section it takes you back to maps of Western Europe but for TT3 on CD.
They do say that the cards are available- umm?, but as Peter says it must be only with a new kit as again there is no direct link to the individual items, a bit short sighted from TomTom what with the silly season upon us they could have sold hundreds of the various cards to people tranversing the European networks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 6 of 35

Jump to: