Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Road speed limit info
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Road speed limit info
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweepdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Road speed limit info Reply with quote

When I first bought my TomTom Go 510, it came with UK maps and the speed limit shown was pretty accurately e.g. when going from 30 to 40 etc. Is this information limited to just motorways in the western European maps (due to the size of the database?) ?

I much preferred it when it was showing all the speed limits. (I got slated by the OH when TomTom took us down some windy roads in Cornwall which were probably longer once we knew how to avoid these, so I assume speed limit info would produce better routes)
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sweepdog. It's not just the motorways which have their road speeds showing on the european maps. Most of the roads near me in Spain have speeds associated with them (not necessarily the correct speeds though!). To display the max road speeds alter the settings in "Staus Bar Preferences" which is on page 4 of preference menu. Editing max road speeds is done via the "Map Corrections" icon in on the TT.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Max Speed has to be set up in the Status Bar Menu. On the 1st page Select Speed, and on the 2nd page Select Show max speed next to speed.

Strange as it may seem, the speed indication has no bearing on the Route Calculation. There is a separate item, attached to the Map data, that holds the travel time for each section of road.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Strange as it may seem, the speed indication has no bearing on the Route Calculation. There is a separate item, attached to the Map data, that holds the travel time for each section of road.

Is there any way to change these timings ?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young-goat wrote:
Quote:

Is there any way to change these timings ?
No, it's hard coded.

sweepdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seemed to be already a tick my "show max speed next to speed", so I unticked "speed" from the previous menu and ticked it again. I'll see how I get on when I go out in the car next
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweepdog wrote:
There seemed to be already a tick my "show max speed next to speed", so I unticked "speed" from the previous menu and ticked it again. I'll see how I get on when I go out in the car next

sweepdog, remember that not all roads have speeds associated to them, some will and others won't. So as you are driving along, you may or may not get advice regarding the speed of the road you are on, It all depends if TT have included the information in the map. It's Hit-n-Miss.
You can edit this by using the "Map Corrections" facility as described above if you wish to add &/or alter a speed to a road.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
sweepdog wrote:

sweepdog, remember that not all roads have speeds associated to them, some will and others won't. So as you are driving along, you may or may not get advice regarding the speed of the road you are on, It all depends if TT have included the information in the map. It's Hit-n-Miss.
You can edit this by using the "Map Corrections" facility as described above if you wish to add &/or alter a speed to a road.

excellent info, ta very much.
sweepdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not been out today, but I remember the speed area on motorways is shown as 70/70, but when I'm off the motorway, I just get my current speed. Does this mean something is missing (I assume to save space it has a global variable for motorway speed)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed area is shown as xx/xx on any road where the map has the speed limit. If the road speed is recorded in the TT map as 30, it'll show 28/30 when you're doing 28. There is no global assumption of any speed limit. It's either recorded on the map and shows, or not recorded and you don't get anything.

The availability of the road speed limit is very, very far from 100%. So far as I'm, aware, it's simply that TT haven't (yet?) got speed limit data for the roads which don't show it - I have not seen any indication that they are dropping those details as maps "progress". There are also some wrong details. So whilst this feature is handy, please do REMEMBER, it's you who are responsible for observing the speed limit, not the TomTom device.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:

Unfortunately the GO 510 doesn't have this functionality yet.
sweepdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis - re speeds. yes of course it's the road, but it used to amaze me how accurate the info was when we went into a new zone and just wondered what's happened to it (even on the same route)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, you must be far more observant than I. I've not noticed any roads which used to have speed limits which don't now have them. I don't suppose you can tell us an example (I have some maps which are two and a half years old and could look to see if that's the case on them)?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
AliOnHols wrote:

Unfortunately the GO 510 doesn't have this functionality yet.
If you have the latest App and Map it is there. Confused

Under Report other error, Existing Street, Select street, Wrong speed limit.

sweepdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Hmm, you must be far more observant than I. I've not noticed any roads which used to have speed limits which don't now have them. I don't suppose you can tell us an example (I have some maps which are two and a half years old and could look to see if that's the case on them)?
It's missing from all roads. I'm going to buy a new map - mine is quite out of date

Can someone remind me please. Is the App software held on the SD card?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: