Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Map 835.2419 Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Map 835.2419 Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates via the LMG can be a few days after the 'update' release. If you're 28 days is nearly up, I would be trying to update now as, if there are problems, TomTom may ask for a scan of the receipt as proof of entitlement.

In any case, make a backup of the current data via Windows Explorer before doing anything else to it.
Brodit ProClip mount
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
julianbarker wrote:

Where does this info come from? I have a x40 series device and the TomTom site says they only support micro-SD cards up to 4GB and the manual describes it as a Micro-SD slot not a micro-SDHC slot.

Obviously I want to make sure I buy the right card!

Where does it say that? Laughing
The only TomTom webpage I know of with a memory card chart (HERE) is typically vague and looks like they tacked the bit about the x40 models and microSD cards onto it at a later date. It doesn't mention sizes of microSD at all and the only mentions of sizes are a line about SD (up to 4 GB) and the sentence that says to make sure you're using the latest application version to use SDHC cards of 8 GB or more (on models that can use SDHC).

Exactly, no mention of SDHC cards at all in the compatibility chart. The 4 was a typo Micro-SD cards are only ever 2Gb which of course would make them useless if a map would not fit in a 2Gb internal memory. I would not put that past TT given that they have broken audio output from the 740.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how long should I wait? I have more then two weeks of my LMG left - will the new map be available using LMG early next week or what?
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I have downloaded and installed the new map with no trouble at all. It took me 2 ½ hours to download but that’s my slow broadband speed and I cant blame Tomtom for that.

I then copied the MapSettings. Cfg. File from the previous Map 8.30 backup and all my favourites, speed cameras and voice commands now work perfectly.
Now, it puzzles me why some users land in the ‘loop problem’ and others like myself suffer no bother at all. The devices are the same and the downloaded maps are the same. It’s a puzzle.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated my map this afternoon. I have an 8GB SDHC card in the slot, running App8.302. Internal memory has App8.351. When I connected to Home to check for updates, I selected Internal memory - it has plenty of space as I removed the Guam and North America maps ages ago.

I left it downloading and went off shopping for an hour and came back to find that it had downloaded and had installed the map on the SDHC card and was almost finished installing it on the internal memory.

When it had ended, I disconnected and fired up the 920 to check if it had installed to the SDHC card and it had. Worked fine. I then took out the SDHC card and went to check installation on the Internal memory and hit the reboot game - no matter what I did, it would get to the startup splash screen, pause for ages, then reboot. Looped at that continually. I tried everything, power button short and long presses, reset short and long, none of that worked. Eventually in desperation I shoved it onto the desktop mount/dock. TT asked if I wanted to connect to PC and I did. Fired up TT Home and had a poke around. Disconnected and it worked.

My Mapsettings.cfg file seems to have been retained - I don't have Favourites (just POIs), but my recent destinations were kept intact - showed all my recent destinations. Maybe the reboot loop is the bug introduced by TT in order to manage to carry forward the Mapsettings.cfg file? Rolling Eyes

Talking and reading here, I find this reboot looping can happen to anybody - I had SDHC card and internal memory, others have only internal memory. With a card, my map installed itself on both internal and card memories. Others don't get it on both.

There is one thing, I suppose - TT helpline is unlikely to be declaring staff redundant for the foreseeable future!! Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julianbarker wrote:
So how long should I wait? I have more then two weeks of my LMG left - will the new map be available using LMG early next week or what?

Keep trying the LMG option for the next few days. If it doesn't work and you are getting near the 28 days, log a call with TomTom.

It's likely that people will post on here when they get an update via LMG so you'll know when it starts working for some.
Brodit ProClip mount
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm someone mentioned running operate my go within tomtom home so having nothing to loose I updated this evening again and again the download only took 2 minutes ....completed and back to the loop start ..so I thought why not give operate my go and see what happens ,well it downloaded the small updated and hey presto it's working fine
now to me that is weird
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To you that's weird. Just try to imagine going to work on TomTom support phone line tomorrow morning. Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If any of you are considering a new memory card to increase storage space for the new maps get one from a reliable source which excludes E-Bay where there are numerous reports of cheap fake cards being sold. Also remember the go-x20, go-x30 can use SDHC cards upto and including 32GB in capacity, the go-x40 units can also use SDHC cards upto 32GB in capacity but they need the microSD size card to fit - Mike
Mike, Can you suggest a supplier for a "Micro Secure Digital High Capacity (Micro SDHC) Memory Card - 8GB" for my 940? My usual supplier has it for £10.49. This is for a SanDisk, but there is no speed quoted.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

julianbarker wrote:

Exactly, no mention of SDHC cards at all in the compatibility chart.

Yes it does, there's a whole column for them.
My point was that there's no such thing as a 'microSDHC' card, so calling them microSD is right.(even though they use HC technology)
Rest assured the x40 models can use microSD cards up to 16GB at least.

Quote:
I would not put that past TT given that they have broken audio output from the 740.

In what way is it broken on the 540? Audio is still working on all outputs on my 940 (internal/line out/FM/Bluetooth)
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobRyan wrote:
Mine is stuck in a rebooting cycle too.

Checked out the map on tomtom home and theyve added M1 J29A! No changes at all near me though.

This was also on the prevoius map version
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 720 got stuck in the reboot loop after downloading the new map last night. It seems that it didn't replace the old mapsettings.cfg file because it was exactly the same size as the one in my backup. Before deleting it, I tried the trick of using "Operate my Go" in HOME, and adding a new favourite. But that didn't work so I deleted it and it turned on ok.

Does the mapsettings.cfg file hold lots of settings though because my device behaved like a brand new one, asking me to select country, language, units, set the clock etc? Just as if I had returned it to factory settings.

At least it's working and my favourites are all saved as pois but I'll now have to set all my Europe & UK speed camera warnings again.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
My point was that there's no such thing as a 'microSDHC' card, so calling them microSD is right.(even though they use HC technology)
Rest assured the x40 models can use microSD cards up to 16GB at least.

Not sure what you mean Andy. What are all these? Confused
1st of 4 pages on Amazon.co.uk for search "micro sdhc"
Brodit ProClip mount
pat100701
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratman633 wrote:
Just updated map seemed to go ok, but now lost all the live services. HD traffic says "I need a subscription for this service" Live Services are showing a valid subscription and it's connected ok.
Just emailed TomTom lets see what they have to say?

My 540 has the same problem. No HD Traffic after updating the map. Can you get Google, Weather and update mobile cameras? Only Traffic is missing on mine.

I've also emailed TomTom

Patrick
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
julianbarker wrote:
I would not put that past TT given that they have broken audio output from the 740.

In what way is it broken on the 540? Audio is still working on all outputs on my 940 (internal/line out/FM/Bluetooth)

Thanks for helping to fix my Micro-SD confusion. Now all you need do is inform all those that sell micro-SDHC cards and to amend the Wikipedia page accordingly! Smile

Regarding audio - my new satnav (a 740) has a speaker, no FM transmitter and I can only use an audio socket if I buy a mount with one included. Having bought such a mount so I can use headphones in noisy enviroments I discover that TT have broken audio by fixing audio output at 100% volume with no way for the user to change it which is both very stupid and very dangerous!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 4 of 22

Jump to: