Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wonderwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I read that......sounds very much like that guy had a heated or Tinted windscreen to me....still let him write a bad review tho......
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find the review very bad. The critics about the screen will be shared with more users, although in practical use it is not that bad,but could indeed have been a bit better for that money. Version 2 will surely have a little larger screen and a better protection against reflection. Wait and see, this will happen in about 12 months froms now, if not earlier. Then also a qwerty touchscreen keyboard will be included and maybe even voice controlled 'destination input'.

I am not going much further, TomTom might like this too much.

Peter
Wonderwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter has yours locked up much since you have had it?. Or much problem finding sats..
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with locking up. But yes, sometimes the TT Go has problems finding satalites. After resetting with the reset button (warm restart) this can be solved. But I must admit, this should not happen to a device of that price.

Peter
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wads wrote:
I've just found another review of the TomTom GO that is less than glowing...... I'd be very interested to know if Mike and Dave had any similar problems with their test version of GO?

Wads, the screen has been an issue for me, but you will find this with all kinds of touch screens. If everyone is completely honest, they'll find that if they do have greasy or moist fingers that their Pocket PC screen's in-car are going to be just as messy (if you don't use a stylus whilst driving). You can use any kind of stylus with TomTom GO, which will cut this down.

A negative point I have had and one conveyed to TomTom but I did not receive an answer back was whether a screen filter will be placed on the screen on production units, because in bright sunlight and having GO on the dashboard, as it looks like a shiny glass screen you will get a lot of reflection back which can sometimes make it hard to see when the sun's directly behind you. Saying that you get the same from most Pocket PC's if you have then suction mounted to the windscreen too. What I would like to see is a vent mount, but alas I think GO will be too heavy for the vents of most cars.

Other than this, GO worked flawlessly, I went through about 4 software revisions, each working without a glitch.

I did have problems with ASN, there were some buggy software versions of ASN though, and this should now be fixed, I did have on the very early OS releases a couple of soft resets occur, but again this was fixed in later OS releases.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who want to see how quickly the screen picks up finger prints....

...I'm sure this will be used against me if I ever commit a crime, having my finger prints on file!
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tested making a copy of the SD,without using TT Software. The SD card appears on the desktop with the name 'NO NAME'. I just copied to content to a local map/dir and connected the SanDisk USB reader/writer and inserted a new 128 MB SD card (by default also named 'NO NAME'). I then copied the content of the map/dir. After inserting the new SD in the TT Go, everything was still there, also all favorites.

I did this because of the fact that TT does not supply any Mac OS X based software for making backups..... Unfortunatly new software for the TT Go is supplied as a .exe file, which is a selfcontained Windows installer to extract all the components to be installed on the SD.....

Peter
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
For those of you who want to see how quickly the screen picks up finger prints....

...I'm sure this will be used against me if I ever commit a crime, having my finger prints on file!

Thanks Dave..... I'm not overly bothered about finger prints as I plan to use a stylus (I can't stand finger prints on my pocket PC screen so I'll be the same with the GO). I was more worried about the other review stating that the unit locked up frequently and had trouble locking onto sats...... glad to hear that you didn't have similar problems.

Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, didn't experience any of those types of lockups. I suspect they were using an early or buggy build and that was causing the problems. Most of the builds I have tested were rock solid, albeit a few glitches here and there but TomTom have been extremely quick at fixing them. It soudns to me that the other site that reviewed GO really hadn't tested it over multiple build releases, and as it was a pre-production release, you really need to do just that!
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom says that the battery will work for about 5 hrs. Does anyone have any experience how long the battery will last in 'standby' time.

Peter
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I haven't done any extensive battery tests, I've been getting around the 4.5 hour mark, but this is a pre-production model, I know others who have had them who have said they have been getting more than 5 hours.

I haven't done any conditioning of the battery.
ahmurray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi people.

Has anyone been able to buy a legitimate retail version yet - both expansys and globalpositioningsystems are expecting delivery next week.

I have sold my old pda based system through ebay and am ready, nay itching, to buy.

If anyone knows where to get one, let me know.

Best price seems to be £447, again let me know if you can better that.

One quick techie question - my 2210 had a 400mhz processor but still took quite a while to plan longer routes, I am hoping that even tho GO is only a 200mhz CPU it will have less overhead of operating system and other applications to support, and will be optimised for faster route calcs. I certainly hope so!

Ali
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust Expansys after many successful orders (and a few hastle free returns when needed) so will stick with them (I got in early so paid slightly less than their current £447).

HOWEVER...... Amazon list GO at £425. But I don't like using normal post for expensive orders...... the postman tends to leave parcels on my doorstep in full view of passing potential crims (basically I've had stuff go missing)...... so again the fact that Expansys offer special next day delivery is worth a small premium to me.

On the techy front I'd guess the GO won't be any slower than you old iPaq...... not having to run other rubbish and running on Linux should mean the 200MHz is enough. Thumbs Up
ahmurray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Stop Press! - Expansys reduce GO price to £425 Reply with quote

Having placed an order yesterday, I know see that Expansys have reduced the cost of Tom Tom GO from £447 to £425.
Fortunately I emailed them and they have agreed to reduce the cost of my order to the new price, which is good customer service (althouth I would have cancelled and re-ordered if they hadn't!
At this price TTG is exceptional value (IMO) and they should clean up!

6 days to go........
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On ASN (Assisted Satallite Navigation).

Using the TT Go for a couple of weeks now, I experienced driving through a tunnel as losing connection to the sats and the screen switching to greyscale, but navigation still continued.

As I drove through one tunnel yesterday, I experienced something new, which I had not seen before, the three letters ASN were blinking at the place where normally the sat signals are displayed.

What does this mean? Is ASN just very occasionaly active? (Then I have just seen it only once). What does it mean when ASN is not displayed and the screen goes into greyscale? In my experience navigation also goes on. So what is the difference? Has anyone seen the three letter ASN blinking on the display? Nothing is mentioned about that in the manuals.

Peter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 5 of 35

Jump to: