Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lifetime members spotting cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lifetime members spotting cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockin_plumber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 wrote:

Why not give lifetime members a level that reflects their contribution and number of succesful submission to camera database.

e.g. lowest being Lifetime member, followed by Bronze Lifetime Member then silver, gold and Platinum Lifetime Member , (number of cameras verified to be set by staff)

well its only an idea!

This would be a good idea..

Mind you the "ITS NOT FAIR" brigade might say otherwise Laughing

Maybe they could have a Close but no cigar status Laughing

Dont know how much extra work it will mean for the team though... Confused
So may be a bit harder to implement Question
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockin_plumber wrote:
As a simpleton, I'd estimate it would take approximately 12 times as much work as the present allocation of lifetime memberships. I have a feeling that the present system is a bit like sliced bread, virtually untouched by human hand. Adding a ranking system would no doubt mean much more human intervention. I'll settle for my own private smug glow when I manage it again.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
rockin_plumber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
rockin_plumber wrote:
As a simpleton, I'd estimate it would take approximately 12 times as much work as the present allocation of lifetime memberships.

Sorted then...
Not viable Smile

How about everyone that doubts or moans about not getting lifetime membership...

Maybe they could have their very own status Twisted Evil

Im sure you could come up with a more than suitable one Dennis Wink
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't noticed a lot of "hatred" in this system - just a query about why.

As to ranking - no, I don't think so. I'm happy just to know I have done "my bit" for this site and the general public (OK, those that have paid their subs) and will continue to do so for that special "glow" of recognition (or not, if others have beaten me to it).

I don't think open discussion like this is "hatred" and I don't think it should be suppressed.

Alan
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockin_plumber wrote:
Maybe they could have their very own status Twisted Evil

Im sure you could come up with a more than suitable one Dennis Wink

I fear mine would be more than UNsuitable! Cool

I'm sure MaFt didn't really mean "hatred". Unlike me, he is remarkably tolerant of these threads - this one must have caught him on a bad hair day!
Let's all put him down for it. Stop it! Stop! Grrrr Gun Shoot Out Pistol Shoot Out Taunt

rockin_plumber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
I hadn't noticed a lot of "hatred" in this system - just a query about why.

Not singling out anyone but....

.....if you look at someones last 15 posts....
5 of them are trying to get discounts or suggest the Lifetime awards are handed out on a more dubious basis.... like being handed out to "buddies" Rolling Eyes

EG - wanting to know why PGPS arent matching TomTom's speed camera discount offer...

AND

Discounts for members who renew memberships....

AND

Suggesting the submision data could be clearer so members could see if they were being ripped off or not...

And now this...

MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm I know what I think Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! Enough now. It's dead easy for us lifetime members to look down our noses at the "losers" - we have no idea how hard they've been trying and it's a bit cruel of us to say they can't submit fast enough or accurate enough.

Let's just bash MaFt, eh?

rockin_plumber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
........lifetime membership, it is something we felt would be a good way to thank people for helping. maybe we should just drop the whole thing to avoid such hatred?

MaFt

Hatred...probably a bit harsh... maybe its jealousy or a feeling of inadequacy

Shocked Shocked Shocked dropping lifetime membership would probably stop these threads....

But then they would start complaing that there is no reward for submitting cameras Laughing Laughing Laughing

When we all know it is about having the most accurate database around and that is what is important Cool

Maybe you could have a section at the end of the new Lifetime Subscriptions announcement for moaners of the week if they are really that bothered about getting their names on the newsletter Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:

I don't think open discussion like this is "hatred" and I don't think it should be suppressed.

Quite agree.
Whether or not we agree with the sentiments, it is important to have an open discussion. There's sometimes an unfortunate tendency on this forum for posts and topics to get removed.....

DennisN wrote:
I have a feeling that the present system is a bit like sliced bread, virtually untouched by human hand.

I *had* wondered about MaFt at times.... Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, perhaps 'hatred' was a strong word. how about 'persistent moaning and false accusations of something underhand occurring'?

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's sometimes an unfortunate tendency on this forum for opportunistic grudge working, by ever so slightly hijacking a thread in the interests of a personal grumble.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
SNIP..false accusations of something underhand occurring'?

MaFt

I didn't notice any suggestion of skullduggery in technik's opening post. Only a suggestion the the rules seem unfair. Confused
mediaguycouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has just joined and has enjoyed posting a bit in the forum I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Half the trouble with the system is when you first are browsing the internet and find these speed cameras you see this page - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php .

Having read this page again it does suggest quite clearly that it is easy to get a lifetime subscription. There aren't big stars next to it, there isn't even small print hidden away at the bottom. There is a massive suggestion that getting lifetime camera updates is a really easy thing to do. Almost as easy as getting a free DVD of the Lion King with the Sun; if you can be bothered to go to WH Smiths then we'll give you a DVD. If you can be bothered to report a camera we'll give you updates.

Now I'm a realist, I see why you have your rules and I think I agree with them. What I see as your trouble is the giant difference between getting nothing and getting the top prize.

When you are offering lifetime updates (again being a realist and knowing your site won't last forever guessing 5-25 years) that is a £100 to £500 value for being lucky enough to submit a camera first.

If you had a lifetime update for submitting a camera first, a free month for submitting a camera (before it was in the database) or submitting 3 'seen again' cameras then it would cost you practically nothing but would make everyone happy. There would be a 'prize' for being first but a reward for reporting.

There were a few analogies earlier in this post. This would be the 'everyone wins a prize' at the faire. Someone wins the giant teddy but everyone gets a tiny spongebob squarepants to take home.

But again, just my two cents.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you had a lifetime update for submitting a camera first,

OK so far (if the submission is accurate)...

Quote:
a free month for submitting a camera (before it was in the database)

If a camera appears at a busy location how many submission do you think there are before it gets into the database? At what point do you cut off the "free months"? To what degree of accuracy do you allow those submissions?

Quote:
submitting 3 'seen again' cameras

So everyone could just pick a random 3 mobile cameras in the database and submit them as "seen again" every month to get the next month free. Which i turn would lead to decreasing the accuracy of the Mobile camera database.

The offer is simple. No other database provider provides this incentive, degree of accuracy, value for money or support. The accuracy of the database should be reward enough for people to submit cameras not free subscriptions.
mediaguycouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously this is only an interesting discussion and no-one is telling pgw how to run their business here.

Quote:
If a camera appears at a busy location how many submission do you think there are before it gets into the database? At what point do you cut off the "free months"? To what degree of accuracy do you allow those submissions?

If it was me? None. There would be a free for all until the camera is viable in the database. But I don't agree with the 'next month free' business. It wouldn't be worth giving the next month free.

What does a month cost? £1.60? Give anyone who had registered before a one month free voucher code to use on their next year. I barely drive anywhere but I think I could give 2-3 accurate readings for that.

And what it would cut down on is people who get to the end of the year and say 'well I won't pay again for 6 months as the cameras won't be that far off'. That would cost you £10 instead of £1.60. And the codes wouldn't stack and could be valid for the first 30 days after the subscription ends.

But again, don't take this too seriously. It's just nice to play CEO for a minute when you don't have any of the consequences.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: