Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Map Guarantee Download Issues With New 740
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Map Guarantee Download Issues With New 740
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: New Map Guarantee Download Issues With New 740 Reply with quote

Yesterday evening having just bought a TT740 I naturally took advantage of the new map guarantee offer from Tom Tom HOME.
It showed that a newer map was available so I decided to download and install it.
As the download seemed to taking forever I left it overnight to download and install.
Unfortunately I found this morning that for some reason the installation failed and an error message was showing on TT HOME.

So having checked that it looked safe I undocked the 740 via TT HOME only to find that having done so the GPS now said no maps could be found !!

No problem I thought so I hooked it back up to TT HOME to again try and download the latest maps. Only trouble was that despite having not added anything to the device the download page now said that there wasn't enough space on the satnav and that I needed to remove somwhere around 14MB's to create more !!

Following the wise advice on here I have taken the precaution of doing a full backup via Windows Explorer and as I will not use the male TTS voice I deleted that to try and make the required space.

TT HOME is now currently once again taking ages to download the Western and Central Europe maps (2 hours and less than 25% completed) but hopefully it might be successful this time.
However just in case it fails again has anyone had similar issues with downloading new maps and if I eventually do need to install the maps from my backup which files do I need to transfer to the 740 ?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you downloading on a WiFi connection? If so, try to switch to the cabled (ethernet) connection. This is apparently the cause of many failures.

I've downloaded 2 maps to my 740 and haven't had to make any more room on it for either map.

The procedure does fail but the key seems to be persistance. The first map i updated tok 6-8 attempts before it installed without failure. The second map only took 2-3 attempts.

Did you make your backup before or after you attempted to install the map?
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt response.

I'm using a cable broadband connection and after reading the advice on here fortunately the full Windows Explorer backup was the first thing I did.

I'm certainly confused as to why the second attempt couldn't be started due to TT HOME saying there wasn't enough memory space despite nothing having been added.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, perhaps i wasn't clear. Can you tell me does your PC connect to your router wirelessly or via an Ethernet cable?

The error with the second attempt may have been because you removed the device. When mine failed i never disconnected it from the dock and kept going until it work.

You might have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to check what files you do / don't have on the unit and how to proceed.

Did you make that backup before or after you started the map download?
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have been clearer.

My PC is connected to my router via an Ethernet cable and the full back up was the first thing I did and before I started any downloads or updates.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My PC is connected to my router via an Ethernet cable

Excellent

Quote:
and the full back up was the first thing I did and before I started any downloads or updates.

Excellent again....
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not ask me why but, for some reason, if you minimize the 'downloading' screen to the task bar while the map dowloading is taking place, the process seems to actually go faster.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the download itself was successful, but it failed on copying it to your machine, then the map should already be on your PC.

If you go to 'add maps' or alternatively 'add traffic, voices etc.' then 'items on my computer', you should find it there without having to download again.
toots347
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem with my older 730. First download took forever Crying or Very sad and then when nearly installed threw up an error message saying the file map was too big. Surprised Went back to my backup and it constantly told me that I had no right to use the installed maps Shocked and I had to enter some code that I did not have. The downloaded file was on my local drive so I did a straight copy and paste and all is as it should be. Very Happy
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks who've given advice.

Fortunately after an 8 hour download the second attempt appears to have installed correctly, although I'm still not sure why I had to create space before the downoad would start. As was previously said nothing has been added to the device from new, however as I'm not going to ever use the male computer voice it's no loss but I do have it on my original backup if ever required.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
I'm still not sure why I had to create space before the downoad would start. As was previously said nothing has been added to the device from new,

Simply because TomTom are VERY stingy with the amount of memory they equip their machines with and the new map is rather larger then the old one.
If you think this is an odd marketing practice, I can only agree!
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always worked great over wifi (BT Home Hub) on my Mac. Never had a problem.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the new map is considerably larger than the old, and assuming the latest maps are always loaded onto the most recently manufactured devices, how can TomTom do so without increasing the memory or leaving something else off to create the required space ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
....and assuming the latest maps are always loaded onto the most recently manufactured devices....

That's a big assumption! Very Happy

But it's still a good question....
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure non-essential details get reduced from newer maps like the depiction of rivers, etc. Also, segment points of roads (if that's what you call them) sometimes get reduced so that a road that really has a curve may appear to be straighter on a newer map.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: