Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Inaccurate positioning.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Inaccurate positioning.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiddlecase
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Inaccurate positioning. Reply with quote

Hi.
New user of 765T here, and somewhat disappointed generally, but one thing really bugging me.
If I use it at home, going Tools..where am I, it says I am 0.3 miles away at number 42 not 64 where I live! Clear sky, full satellite recognition bars etc.
Any ideas
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Inaccurate positioning. Reply with quote

Fiddlecase wrote:
Hi.
New user of 765T here, and somewhat disappointed generally, but one thing really bugging me.
If I use it at home, going Tools..where am I, it says I am 0.3 miles away at number 42 not 64 where I live! Clear sky, full satellite recognition bars etc.
Any ideas
I'm not a Garmin expert, so I can't comment on that specifically, BUT do you mean that the position that it shows you in is 0.3 miles from where you actually are OR do you mean that it has the location correct, but is giving you the wrong house number?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Fiddlecase
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Inaccurate positioning. Reply with quote

Sorry not clear. It says, when using "where am I" that it is 0.3 miles from where it actually, physically, is!.
Therefore it gives me 'a route' to where it thinks it is, 0.3 miles away down the road........
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the sat nav finds the road you want, it knows where and which side of the road the numbering starts. It also knows at what number the numbers stop and extrapolates all the house numbers between.

i.e. if a road has house numbers 1 - 50, it'll assume that number 25 is halfway along the road on the "odd" side. However this doesn't always work in the real world. Couple of roads near me have the road numbering in the wrong order...

So the sat nav doesn't actually know where 25 The Avenue, or 16 The Beeches is, it just knows where the road is, what the first and last house numbers are and guesses those in between.

My Garmins show my location to be 4 / 5 doors out too...
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does fiddlecase mean thgat his sat nav is giving a wrong lat/lon when compared with his known house location (irrespective of house numbers) like TT has been known to in the past, or am I talking a load of tosh because I don't know his device?
Fiddlecase
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Does fiddlecase mean thgat his sat nav is giving a wrong lat/lon when compared with his known house location (irrespective of house numbers) like TT has been known to in the past, or am I talking a load of tosh because I don't know his device?

Ah... I think I am seeing the error now with all these helpful replies.
If I go Tools... where am I? it gives me a lat / long position and the nearest house address. The nearest house address is given as 42, despite this being 0.3 miles away. If I then 'save location' it saves 42 as it's position (0.3 miles away) not the lat / long.
I have got round this by going into My Data and setting home as Current Location rather than address.
Very silly really....
1. it doesn't seem to recognise any numbers on my lane over 42 (it goes to 64A)
2. It seems to think that using a random house as where I am is best, rather than the lat / long setting!

Thanks for all your pointers everyone... sorted I think!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i suspect the intended use of the Where Am I? function is to help in emergency / breakdown situations where you might need to tell someone the closest address without having to get out of the car. It's not a precise instrument but it'll do in most situations.
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested my two units on two addresses [ by FIND and travelling to them] and they were 20feet out from the registered numbered addresses. BUT as the properties were at least 50 feet wide - I found myself outside the houses!

I tested with CityNavigator 2009 and with Garmin Discoverer [that showed me dead centre of the road and dead centre of the properties.

You did not mention which map you are using.

I do not have 'where am I' but I have 'mark as waypoint' at my present location.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: