Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8.351
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8.351
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonial
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my previous post.

Do my findings mean that TomTom dropped the "ephem" folder in one of its "superb" updates to the navcore, if so what a clanger.

Garmin Nuvi 2547LM
CamerAlert
PGPS Speed Cameras
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do my findings mean that TomTom dropped the "ephem" folder in one of its "superb" updates to the navcore, if so what a clanger.

Looks like it..
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Right, now is that folder named ephem or ephemeris in the tt ?

Whilst i admit i did get the spelling of ephem wrong several times - it was late and once i'd mis-spelt it it became force of habit - but i thought i had made this clear.....

Quote:
The Ephmeris folder will be on your PC.

and

Quote:
The folder is called

ephem

in the root of the device....

My backup has 2 files ee_meta.txt (1 kb) and lto.dat (63 kb)
zort70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Custom sounds gone Reply with quote

Hi all, has anyone else had a problem with sounds, other than navigation instructions, not working ?

Since the upgrade to my 730 the POI warnings have stopped, and the overspeed alert has stopped sounding.

The system for entering spoken computer voice warnings for POI's is very hit and miss as well.
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Looks like it..

Exactly!! Paul has emailed me the 2 files required in the ephem folder to enable your quick fix GPS updates. I renamed the folder I created in the root TT to ephem, added the files Paul emailed. Waited and rebooted, connect to Home, quick fix update waiting to download!!! And post that, nearly instaneous sat synching. So I would say, those having problems with slow sat synching, check to see if you have the ephem folder.

Jeff
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion_jb2001 - When you do you backups you are doing Windows Explorer backups aren't you? Not TT Home backups?

FAQ Number 1 here in case you are not....

Always worth burning one to DVD too. Even a 2 year old backup is worth more than no backup at all...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've just been out and about, switching the unit off and driving a few miles and then parking up switching on. Each time it got GPS Fix in under 4 seconds.

Came back to install 8.351 to the main unit, and it's not offering it anymore!! Anyone else on a pre-8.351 NavCore confirm it not being offered?

Edit: Scrap that. Rebooted unit and tried again. Downloading now..
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I can see how a more up-to-date satellite locations would speed up acquisition vs. the almanac built into the device - which due to size constraints only predicts the approximate locations "close enough" to get a lock. But I can't see that it should have any effect on the total number of satellites finally detected. After it's found 3 or 4 the rest should be available whichever way it started (given the same exact location/orientation and a shortish window of time of course).

So you may have a cause but I think there is more of a problem than just missing quickfix files. Like the quickfix files have now effectively become mandatory ...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonial wrote:
Further to my previous post.

Well if they did, your description of "superb" is accurate. I haven't downloaded QuickGPSfix since February 2008, ask Mikealder when he last downloaded it!

mikealder wrote:
I cannot believe TT customer support are relying upon information about the device taken from TomTom Home, it is well known that this buggy rubbish software cannot report basic information accuratly, Navcore version numbers being one such example that is often wrong. Use this software at your peril, I certainly wouldn't trust it to do anything at all - Mike
It's OK Mike, I know, I only did it because they asked me to. In my most recent update to my question, I told them that Home was reporting 8.350 when in fact I now have 8.302.

I think I'm hanging in there just to see how far they'll go with this - maybe they'll send me a working one like Andy Vaughan's getting? I wonder if he made a secret mark on it to check he gets the same one back? Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a mark on it indeed - they will probably just swap the insides!

Getting used to the Chocolate Orange colour scheme now on the 930.

It seems the 8.351 Navocre has quite a few files and folders missing so if you extract it manually to a blank SD card you don't get everything - support_asr.dat is missing as well from the ASR folder.

Looks like it is best to install a previous Navcore first and then overwrite with 8.351 rather than just extract to a blank card.

FYI my TT has landed at TT HQ today - I will give them a few days before chasing them up. My guess is they will NFF it even though I have given them a huge number of things to test, including the fact that traffic delays are in kmh - if they fix that one without a new Navcore I will be impressed.

If a kind soul had not a 930 they were willing to loan then it would not have gone back without a loan unit being sent to me first!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

National Folk Festival?
Nantucket Film Festival?
National Fingerprint File?
Norske Fotterapeuters Forbund?

Giz a clue? Confused

jonial
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further info :-

I now get a sattelite fix within seconds of turning the tomtom on thus showing that the gps quickfix works when tomtom allow it to !!

Garmin Nuvi 2547LM
CamerAlert
PGPS Speed Cameras
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonial wrote:
Further info :-

I now get a sattelite fix within seconds of turning the tomtom on thus showing that the gps quickfix works when tomtom allow it to !!

I get a satellite fix on all three of my devices within seconds of turning them on thus showing that the acquisition works without gps quickfix!!

But then, I have all three with the Startup Preferences set to "Continue where I left off" and I do use them all practically every day. It is very rare that any of them goes 24 hours without being "on fix".

PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems the 8.351 Navocre has quite a few files and folders missing so if you extract it manually to a blank SD card you don't get everything - support_asr.dat is missing as well from the ASR folder.

It certainly looks that way.

-----

There seems to be some confusion of the role QuickGPSFix played in the slow GPS Fix times.

It's not QuickGPSFix that has fixed the problem but the restoration of the "ephem" folder. My 740 shipped with files in the ephem folder that were dated back to 2000. If they are present the unit gets GPX Fix in seconds. Remove it and it can be minutes and it still doesn't have a GPS Fix.

If you update QuickGPSFix with the ephem folder in place it seems to make no odds on GPS Fix time. No better, no worse.

My unit shipped with a ephem folder but none of the recent Navcores (8.350 & 8.351) had an ephem folder so when they were extracted to SD Card it caused the long GPS Fix times. I wasn't aware there wasn't an ephem folder or of the folder significance.

Installation to the main unit memory works OK. Even if you don't download the QuickGPSFix updates you'll still have the ephem folder in your unit and consequently you'll get the fast GPX Fix times.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: