Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM Traffic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
My experience is that, while RDS-TMC Traffic is still flaky, and you have to rely on a combination of sources, it is getting better and is much more reliable than it used to be. (I always look at Traffic England before I set off).

Traffic England are worth checking, but they are like the TT traffic (not TMDS which from reports here I've never bothered trying!) and often showing info that is out of date. The traffic cameras are also worth looking at to test the information. Being able to see the actual road around a report is really nice.
dorsetwurzel
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody used the TMC reciever (2008) version in France/Belgium/Germany much? Is it any good? I am going on a summer trip and wonder whether it is worth it for 25 hard earned pounds! Also anybody know if this is any different to this?

Tim Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the price they are the same device - Mike
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafrost wrote:
Anybody used the TMC reciever (2008) version in France/Belgium/Germany much? Is it any good?

I purchased the usb version specifically for the continent, and sent it back after 2 trips. Compared to my previous 910 setup (connected to car aerial) it was useless. There was a review on the French TomTomMax forum which concluded that the 'round pin' type was better than the USB type.

BUT, I would think that quantifying reports/reviews on RDS-TMC performance would be almost impossible, there are to many variables, not least the car it's used in. FWIW I'm convinced atmospheric conditions can affect reception. The only consistant thing is that it performs better with an external antenna connection than without (usually Smile )
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
there are to many variables, not least the car it's used in. FWIW I'm convinced atmospheric conditions can affect reception. The only consistant thing is that it performs better with an external antenna connection than without (usually Smile )

Yup, the only way to get good reception where ever you are is to couple the device to the car aerial, and atmospherics can make a significant difference to reception issues - There are plenty of posts on how to connect the receiver to the car aerial and the same technique applies whether its a TomTom or any other brand of RDS-TM receiver - Mike
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW - I too have GPRS Traffic. I first had it 2 years ago then gave it a rest for a while. I rejoined a few months ago as I am doing lots of M6 trips. I can honestly say it is useless. I totally agree with Mike and the other users here - I only trust TT Traffic when the Traffic master box (AA Vodafone from 1999) bleeps at me. Only then will I consider Traffic to be trusted but IMHO there are so many matrix signs now that you need to ask yourself - do you need Traffic at all? Having said which - the matrix signs were all recommending to leave then M6-S before SpagJ a few months ago. Sailed straight through and down the M5.

Moral
Would I subscribe to TT Traffic (GPRS or TMC or HD) - NO
Would I subscribe to TT Safety Cameras - NO
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be something about the pricing/commision structure of HD ready devices that prevents us 'poor cousins' on GPRS getting the same info. I understand the difference between the two and that we aren't 'participating' as much in terms of info etc but since it will eventually be impossible to buy a device from old schools GPRS then what would be the problem giving us the same traffic data? Also, as loyal subscribers to GPRS long before the new guys with their fancy hardware (don't take me too seriously here!) got on board it seems we got shafted somewhere in the transition.

Or its just an incentive for us to buy the newer devices? The only fact that contradicts the above is that TT have announced TTN7 for PDA etc. It has GPRS traffic in there as far as I can see. I can only imagine that this would extend the lifespan of GPRS traffic.
Holux GPSslim
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote: Or its just an incentive for us to buy the newer devices?

Now why would you buy HD traffic when GPRS traffic isn't accurate. Surely TT wouldn't expect me to buy HD when my experience with GPRS is at best lacklustre. By comparison: I thought an HD TV gave you the same picture but in greater detail and clarity. Are TT suggesting that HD traffic contains different (accurate) data with improved resolution. If this is the case then surely I can demand my money back as GPRS Traffic is (in my experience) not accurate and (in my experience) does not live up to the promises made when I subscribed to it.

I heed the warnings though about newer mobiles not working with GPRS. I am about to move from 3 (N95) to Voda (N97). I doubt it matters if traffic works after I migrate.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:
Quote:

Now why would you buy HD traffic when GPRS traffic isn't accurate. Surely TT wouldn't expect me to buy HD when my experience with GPRS is at best lacklustre.

Well from what I understand, HD traffic is not a glossed up version of the same data (in your example you quote HD TV as being the same picture with more detail), it's a different source (perhaps INCORPORATING the GPRS stuff) which is quicker to appear and quicker to clear but in the absence of a side by side comparison in my hands I couldn't say.
Holux GPSslim
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do a comparison yourself, look at the GPRS traffic info on your unit and compare it to the info online on TomTom route planner.

I have recently been running the 530 & 940 side by side and the information is far quicker and more accurate on the HD traffic.

There is no technical reason why HD traffic information could not be made available over GPRS, that decision is commercial.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MrT
I suspected this but I don't like to post too much supposition on here.

I wonder if the advent of TTN7 U-turn will result in a 'GPRS using HD data' U-turn too. Although I'm sure it would be at the higher price otherwise those with GPRS would be getting what many HD users want which is a cheaper way to get HD traffic without all the other stuff and a rather steep monthly rate.
Holux GPSslim
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If TomTom felt non Live eqipped PNDs deserved to have better traffic information available they would have kept their promise to market Live as a stand alone device. As a previous poster said, they want you to throw away non Live devices to go for the latest relable Laughing technology.

Unless of course TT7 for PDA's is a sign they are desperate for immediate income! How many U-turns can TomTom navigate to?
1ka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all the above and would like to add that GPRS traffic is almost always out of date and thus useless.

I won't be renewing, and I don't intend to buy a HD device. So TT have lost out on my custom. Seems like a rather stupid commercial decision to actively lose customers by selling an inferior service. Rolling Eyes
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said.

BTW: TT Since I didn't spend my £8 and no-one took me up on the offer of clubbing together then TT may have my £8 this month to put towards getting GPRS Traffic data ACCURATE.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:
BTW: TT Since I didn't spend my £8 and no-one took me up on the offer of clubbing together then TT may have my £8 this month to put towards getting GPRS Traffic data ACCURATE.

Unfortunately, it will never happen. The problem is that the TomTom GPRS system is 99% reliable, but the data source is pretty much 99% un-trustable. Since they can't do anything about that, otherwise they'd already have done it, the switch to the LIVE system is where they have gone with it. And LIVE is very nice, but of course costs a little. The traffic is much more reliable as a data source, the updates much more frequent, and you have things like Google local search which has worked well for us.

But TomTom have moved on - don't expect them to fix the old system as I suspect they can't.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: