Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map version 8.30
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map version 8.30

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Map version 8.30 Reply with quote

A new map version has been released. And we still have the ongoing problem of loosing all your map corrections. This is soooooooooooooooo annoying and time consuming.

When oh when oh when is tomtom going to get together with their map supplier and solve this problem????????????? Surely their must be a way of doing such a task? Reloading the userpatch and mapuser patch did not carry the corrections over to the new map version. Evil or Very Mad
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next interesting point is, what happens to the 5000+ map corrections that were attached to the previous map version? So far, they have not been carried over to the new map version. What is the point of sharing map corrections, when the next map version comes out (with all our map corrections we have been helping them with..................hahaha lololo Laughing ) all those corrections are not used in the new map nor carried over to the new map??????
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget. Not every MapShare Correction is correct so if they automatically included the corrections into the next map it might include several bad corrections. I would hope that TT use the MapShare corrections to prioritise where they check next but in this day and age it does seem to be a very slow process to get maps updated....
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said in the v8.350 update thread that you wiped the TT and started again?

Well if so, then the corrections to the previous map would have been lost also. So you would have started out with a clean v8.30 map with none of your corrections carried forward.

The last few map upgrades, the majority of my corrections were carried over to the newer map c. 75% of them at least!

iPhone 12
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to formatting TT, but user patch and mapuser patch from map folder saved and reapplied. These are where your corrections live and if having to reload TT with same map ver, adding these 2 files should see all your corrections in place. However, if changeing map versions, adding these 2 files from a previous map version wont carry across your corrections.
I have just been re speed setting my town on the new map, I did a quick test out of town and noticed that the main highway that runs through it, previous in map verr 8.15 did not have speed limits posted. With this new version, the speed limits are there. Being a national road, I take all the corrections TT have received about the no speed limit has been corrected in the new version. clap clap TT.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your own corrections are actually stored in the userpatch.dat in the root directory.

I often wonder about re-applying old corrections to a newer map as it might be correcting something that has changed.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A change I made on the last map has been corrected on this current one, so the changes we post do make a difference. Very Happy Laughing

However a road I reported 5 years ago as being upgraded to a dual carriageway has still not been corrected, and it's blatantly obvious in Google Maps when you overlay the satellite view. Rolling Eyes
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The last few map upgrades, the majority of my corrections were carried over to the newer map c. 75% of them at least!

Quote:
A change I made on the last map has been corrected on this current one, so the changes we post do make a difference.

Well this is better news than i'd read elsewhere. It does seem some changes take quite a bit of time to filter through though...
Browny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of help for me please

I have downloaded latest map version through my map upgrade subscription and it worked fine. I then reloaded my mapsetting.cfg file from my last map with my favourites on.

Sadly the Tom om will not boot and is going round in circles.

Any clues how I may force another map download so as I can retrieve the mapsetting.cfg file that can with the new map because atthe moment my Tom Tom is unusable. I haev tried a soft reset but nothing happens

Any clues ?

Cheers
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried operating it from TTHome. I had the same prob once but after operating it in TTHome it was fine.

Jon
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jon's suggestion doesn't work then you'll need to delete the Mapsettings.cfg file and let the device create a new blank one, but you will have lost any favourites so it's best to recreate tham as POIs, which can be carried over from one map to another.

As always, back up with explorer first.

Edited to add: this thread HERE has some help about converting the mapsettings.cfg files to POIs
Browny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, deleting the mapsettings.cfg worked fine

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: