Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Home will not install new maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Home will not install new maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattcu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, Go 920T with quarterly Map Update subscription.

I've restored to the old, working map. Places around me never seem to get updated that much so there's no urgency for me, I've fired off the customary 'support' mail and will see what happens.
sjh4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried 3 times now over past 36 hrs to download new map, each time successfully downloaded but fails to install, ended up manually extracting map and activation file and copying to tomtom, now sees map correctly and allows updates, usual issue when copying over MapSettings.cfg file so used tom tom home to add new favourite to rectify, now all working
angusr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here with a 920T. Unable to install from Home, copied it across manually and all seems well.

Really bad coding involved on several fronts here, but the main one being that it removes the existing files before doing whatever check it is that triggers the error so not only do you not get the new maps, you don't have any maps at all...

This makes the second update in a row that have gone badly for me. Last time round I had a mucked up authorisation key, in common with quite a few other people. This time round the map seems to be broken on many 9x0 units. Does TomTom do _any_ release testing? If they do, they aren't doing enough!
AnttiK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. Tried at home PC and twice at work PC, always the same problem, downloads ok but installation fails. As I started to do the manual copying I noticed that I was short of disk-space on the TomTom, I deleted some MP3's out of the way (don't think this caused the problem though), copied manually the new map-data from the zip-file and exctracted the one file from the .cab-file. All is well now. Even Home recognizes the new map or atleast it doesn't offer it to me anymore.
MikeMcr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the missing ".tlv" file in the "maps" folder if you copy the other files manually?

The "maps" folder was not on my 940 until I used the LMG. The North America map installed and created a "North_America.tlv" binary file in the "maps" folder. However, the downloaded files do not contain .tlv files so HOME must create them. What are they used for and how do I create one for the W&CE map?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tlv files as far as I can see just tell Home what the details of the map are so when you look at the contents of your Go it tells you stuff such as "seamlessly covers 99% of UK etc" and shows an icon. You could edit an old one from your backup if you really want it there.
geirkv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the following:
Unzip the map file to a temp dir, delete it (the file) , then re-zip the files from the temp dir into a new map file with the same name as the orignal (using WINZIP (with no compression))

Use HOME - Add Map.....
This should work, as it seems to be an issue with HOME and the zipped map file.

rgs
geir

[/quote]
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rezipping the files worked on the SD Card and the unit. I wonder if this is because the original zip file was above 2GB?
MikeMcr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geir, many thanks, you are correct.

I use WinRAR and it refused to let me create a ZIP of those files since the size exceeds the original ZIP specification.

Therefore I removed all the cspeech* files except for "cspeech_GBR.dat" and "cspeech_IRL.dat".

This allowed me to create a valid ZIP file which HOME then installed without error.

More examples of poor testing by TomTom. Rolling Eyes
Mally1957
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having trouble with the manual extraction method.
After installing the tomtom locks on the startup screen and will not go any further. Sad

Can I just check I am carrying out the instructions correctly.

Copy the contents of the downloaded western and central europe zip file folder direct to the tomtom western and central europe map folder (i.e. without using exract all) then extract the activation map 50695.cab file to map folder.

Thanks for any help

A now retired Tomtom 940 v9.541.3145439.1 OS:1493118, GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5120, West Europe Map v1025.9386
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You extract all the 35 files out of the W&CE.zip file into the W&CE map folder on the Go. If you are short on space you can miss out the CSPEECH files except the GBR & IRL ones.

You then extract the W&CE-35-meta.dct file from the activation cab file and place that in the Go W&CE map folder.

The mapsettings.cfg file may cause the device not to start as it is one of the ones that does not carry across the upgrade but if you use "operate my go" from Home that seems to update the file to work.

Alterntively you can fix the problem by taking the W&CE zip file extracting the files and putting them into a new zip file as recommended above.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
You extract all the 35 files out of the W&CE.zip file into the W&CE map folder on the Go. If you are short on space you can miss out the CSPEECH files except the GBR & IRL ones.

You then extract the W&CE-35-meta.dct file from the activation cab file and place that in the Go W&CE map folder.

Well, is ignorance bliss? All I did was extract the files from the zip file into the existing W&CE folder on the 920. I didn't know what the other folders/files did, so I didn't extract anything from anywhere else (meta.dct?). It's taken me 160 miles today, so it seems to work (well, I'm safely home now!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your failed install leaves the new meta.dct (activation) file in the map folder and none of the other files so if you copy across after a failed install the activation file will already be present.
wilfuerdo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
Just to let you know, I downloaded the new W&C Europe map 8.3 AGAIN tonight (3rd time) I can confirm it appears fixed.
Worth the try to download and install as standard update.

I have 920T, same issues as reported but tonight the download has worked fine, obviously TomTom have fixed the issue

Andy
Mally1957
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vote of thanks Very Happy Very Happy to all those who gave advise on the map installation.
Finally got it to work by using the method given below

Quote:
Do the following:
Unzip the map file to a temp dir, delete it (the file) , then re-zip the files from the temp dir into a new map file with the same name as the orignal (using WINZIP (with no compression))

Use HOME - Add Map.....
This should work, as it seems to be an issue with HOME and the zipped map file.

The only difference I used Winrar to extract and re zip the files after deleting the cspeech files that were not required.

Last thing left to do is a full windows backup Wink Wink

A now retired Tomtom 940 v9.541.3145439.1 OS:1493118, GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5120, West Europe Map v1025.9386

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: