Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 940 camera alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 940 camera alerts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I compared the TT ones to my Road Angel and they aren't the same (or the TT ones have been messed with). PGPSWs are much more accurate than the ones tomtom supply. This is a big turn off on the subscription regime - £7.99 / month for traffic (as the cameras are cr*p)? Not likely.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:
I agree. I compared the TT ones to my Road Angel and they aren't the same (or the TT ones have been messed with). PGPSWs are much more accurate than the ones tomtom supply. This is a big turn off on the subscription regime - £7.99 / month for traffic (as the cameras are cr*p)? Not likely.

If you want the best then you can get them right here on this site!

Aside from that, I am directly in discussion with RoadAngel and we are exploring what is going wrong. The TomTom data should reflect closely that of the RoadAngel devices. I am sure this will be resolved.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
Aside from that, I am directly in discussion with RoadAngel and we are exploring what is going wrong. The TomTom data should reflect closely that of the RoadAngel devices. I am sure this will be resolved.

So am I... let's see if they deliver.
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryMitchell wrote:

If they do deliver then I can cancel my RoadAngel @£3.99/month nad use that towards the £7.99 TomTom. Happy days Very Happy
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:
HenryMitchell wrote:

If they do deliver then I can cancel my RoadAngel @£3.99/month nad use that towards the £7.99 TomTom. Happy days Very Happy

I've just done that!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
The initial set up of the PGPSW ones is not easy (even with instructions, for the less PC able)

Admittedly I'm much older than when I first did it over three years ago, but I only took one go at downloading and installing (age 66). I'm slightly computer literate, but no real expert. I managed it by looking at the instructions (VERY briefly). I'm quite confident that if somebody having difficulty is guided through the process, they'll succeed AND afterwards admit it was so easy if only they'd paid attention in the first place. I think the people with problems are those who think Windows is wonderful and love TT Home because they want everything doing for them and frighten themselves into giving up before they even try.

What really, really annoys me is the person who comes here complaining they are good with computers and have trouble with the download. I've done both the TomTom OV2 and Garmin POILoader methods and succeeded first time with both, so how anybody "good with computers" can find it difficult makes my blood boil.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MikeMcr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Road Angel ever give an explanation as to why their database is so rubbish on the TomTom?

I just got a 940 and was shocked to find the number of missing cameras which show up fine on a friend's Road Angel.

The only downside to the database from this site is they are not treated as directional and TomTom's are (I know this is TomTom's fault as the direction data is available). I was looking forward to stopping the constant moans about it picking up cameras on the other side of the road but not if the quality is this bad!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeMcr wrote:
Did Road Angel ever give an explanation as to why their database is so rubbish on the TomTom?

I just got a 940 and was shocked to find the number of missing cameras which show up fine on a friend's Road Angel.
I don't recall them ever answering why the data was poor, I do remember their boss man posting on this forum asking for assistance in working out why it was poor, such as locations of errors - cannot find the thread though now! - Mike
MikeMcr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I do remember their boss man posting on this forum asking for assistance in working out why it was poor, such as locations of errors - cannot find the thread though now! - Mike

I think a moderator deleted it! In my searches I remember a reference to TomTom (Road Angel?) wanting help but it was seen as competition to this site Smile
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeMcr wrote:
I think a moderator deleted it! In my searches I remember a reference to TomTom (Road Angel?) wanting help but it was seen as competition to this site Smile

If that's true it's outrageous. RoadAngel are the official data supplier to TT and this forum is here to discuss TomTom products.

Since I came across that thread I have had a regular dialogue with a very helpful data engineer at RA and every discrepancy I have reported to them has been put right almost instantly. TT should take note- this is how to keep customers happy.

Have I now put this thread in danger as I have dared to admit I currently use the TT/RA "Live" data and not the PGPSW data?

BTW, someone mentioned directionality above. The older TT data was not directional but the data on the new TT "Live" devices is directional, just like on a Road Angel.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryMitchell wrote:
MikeMcr wrote:

If that's true it's outrageous. RoadAngel are the official data supplier to TT and this forum is here to discuss TomTom products.

Don't worry about this thread being deleted, the issue mentioned above was removed from the site as Road Angel were trying use this forum to improve their own product, this site produces its own Speed Camera database and helping a competitor improve their own competing product just isn't on, the thread in question was delt with by the site Admin and not one of the moderators IIRC.

We welcome discussions about anything TomTom related within this forum, and comparisons between the RA/ TT database and PGPSW data are certainly not excluded, every owner of a Go Live device gets the RA/ TT database included with their purchase, whether to use it remains the sole choice of the individual - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryMitchell wrote:

Why? Would you expect Road Angel to allow us to request help from their customers in improving OUR database? No of course not. But then RA don't have forums where you can debate the quality of their products or data do they!

We allow discussion of their product but chose to draw the line when they sought to use our forums to support their product which is in direct competition with ours.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike and Darren,

Up to a point I can see where you are coming from but the RA database is part of the TT product, not an add-on that is a rival to the PGPSW product and therefore worthy of discussion.

Looking at it another way, if TT improved their Mapshare system and their camera reporting system so you actually got some benefit from using them then a lot more people would use them and they would also be helping to improve the product. It's the same thing isn't it? Would you then feel that that was not to be discussed because that was in competition with PGPSW?

Don't get me wrong, I really feel for you guys in a situation like this and maybe this forum was not the best place to ask for help to improve the TT/RA product, but maybe, just maybe, an improved product from them is what we all actually want and an openness to discuss the product with real users should be applauded.

Just as an aside I actually use both databases- the TT one for local and/or repetitive journeys as it has a better warning system than the "Warn when near POI" system and also it is directional, and then I use the PGPSW data on longer journeys where I am unfamiliar with the roads as that data is almost certainly more accurate.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You miss the point. We are not preventing discussion nor would we ever seek to do so. What we took exception to was Road Angel's MD posting here asking users to post errors observed with their database in our forums.

We came to a compromise and publicised an email address that could be used to address such errors directly to Road Angel.

Discussion will always be permitted but there is a fine line between debate and providing overt support and assistance to a competitor.

I fully believe we have a better product and we're happy that we are 100% open about our data, that is unique, no other company comes anywhere close.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I see exactly where you are coming from, but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Keep up the good work and I've added you to my Twitter list for good measure!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: