Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raetsel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated my 940 without any problems. If anything my volume is greater than before. I have it set to link to noise level and have had to reduced the voume a tad.
I get the impression that the time to find a satellite has increased and the spoken directions are slightly later than before.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
mikealder, surely you are not saying that it is Ok for TT to roll out inappropriately tested firmware because, in a worst case scenario, only 50% of their customers could be negatively affected?

That is not what I am suggesting at all, it is well known that a lot of sat nav users never connect them to a PC and therefore never upgrade either the application or maps. If you don't upgrade the device from its initial purchase then it will still be in the original working condition - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
AliOnHols wrote:
mikealder, surely you are not saying that it is Ok for TT to roll out inappropriately tested firmware because, in a worst case scenario, only 50% of their customers could be negatively affected?

That is not what I am suggesting at all, it is well known that a lot of sat nav users never connect them to a PC and therefore never upgrade either the application or maps. If you don't upgrade the device from its initial purchase then it will still be in the original working condition - Mike

Mike's correct. Discounting the people I know from this site, the only other THREE people I know with satnavs have no idea about connecting to PC, look blank when I suggest pgpsw cameras and equally blank when I mention "update" or "backup". One of them was really annoyed that his device sometimes got the postcode wrong and was gobsmacked when I said he was supposed to use the number 0, not the letter O!

By the way, my 920T with 8.350 has now started flashing intermittently as reported by other people. This weekend is going to be its last chance to get the volume back before I revert to 8.302. Annoying that I'll have to accept "upgrade" (their word, not mine) again when the new map arrives. Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that ever since you mugged your son-in-law to get the 700 back, you threw all your other units out the window. Was I wrong?

Twisted Evil
quozl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like we're up to the human stage of contact with TT support re the GPRS issue Laughing They now want a copy of the system information from Home which I can understand but I'm afraid they still fail to realise the issue is with 8.350 and not my unit. Anywho it will be interesting to see where it goes from here, my money is on them asking for a complete reformat / reinstall of everything Very Happy Will keep the thread posted on the progress, I'll string them along for awhile and see where it takes me but I wont be doing anything to drastic seeing as it works perfectly with 8.302.

Cheers Quozl
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.6.2.1586
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response from TT over volume issue:- Rolling Eyes

Volume Reduced in new Application 8.350 - how to resolve

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care.

The volume control in the latest application was reduced by 10% because of the number of concerns we received regarding the previous application that was making the volume too loud.

If you wish to revert back to a previous software version to bring the volume back up high, please make a full backup of your TomTom through Home, then follow the steps below:

Connect your TomTom to your computer and turn it on
Click on START (for windows) and then click on Computer
Open the TomTom Removable Disk Drive
Delete anything that is not a yellow folder. Please ensure that only the yellow folders are all that is left on the screen.
After you have deleted the loose files, please close the window
Open TomTom HOME 2.6
Click on "Add Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras, etc"
Click on the Green Arrow 3 times
Click on Items On My Computer
Click on the Green Circle with the white + next to "Applications"
Click on More Info on each one to find an Application version lower than 8.350 and then click on the Add button on the right hand side to re-install the software.

Your TomTom will now be reverted back to a previous application software where the volume will be higher.

With Kind Regards
The TomTom Customer Care Team
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my own method for rolling a device back to a previous version is slightly easier than messing around getting Home to do something such as this:

mikealder wrote:
I assume you are wanting to take the 730T back to Navcore 8,302

You can download this version by clicking

Go-x20_Navcore 8,302

Go-x30_Navcore 8,302

To install this to your device I use WinRar which you can download from Here Switch the TomTom on and connect it to your PC, if TomTom Home starts up exit the application as Home isn't needed for this.

Double click the downloaded file

Depending upon which one you downloaded and winrar will fire up, use the mouse to select all files and folders then click "Extract To"

Please note the screen images I have used for this post are from an earlier version of TomTom Navcore, but the process is the same if installing any Navcore to the device.

Locate the drive letter associated with your TomTom and click it, make sure the Overwrite mode is selected to "Ask before overwrite", then press "OK"

When the dialogue box pops up saying "Confirm File Replace" click the "Yes To All" button.

Sit back and watch the progress bar, with a good USB2 connection a Navcore 8,302 installation will take around 2 minutes.

When its finished the update use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from the Task Tray and remove the lead from the device.

Let the device boot up and tap the sat strength meter (lower left) followed by the version box, the resultant screen will confirm the version installed is Navcore 8,302 - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
I thought that ever since you mugged your son-in-law to get the 700 back, you threw all your other units out the window. Was I wrong?

Twisted Evil
Gosh, you have to be joking David! It's difficult enough coping with only three on the windscreen - I have Wayfinder on my Sony Ericsson C702 so I have to find out how to work that to get more comfy in my travels. Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, took the plunge and decided to upgrade to this new version. Installation according to Home went fine, now the unit refuses to boot up! Just sits on the boot screen for about a minute then reboots itself and continues to follow this pattern.

Any suggestions before I revert back to the previous version?

Thanks
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They deliberately reduced the volume? My wife is very hard of hearing - not completely deaf, but she needs the volume that we have now! So to get the new map when it comes out, which I've paid for, she's going to have to struggle more to hear? When I replace our 920, what's the best in the competition?
Thanks
Doug
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I assume you are wanting to take the 730T back to Navcore 8,302

You can download this version by clicking

Go-x20_Navcore 8,302

Go-x30_Navcore 8,302

I have 8.350 on the internal memory of my 720, and generally am pretty satisfied with it. I thought it might be a good idea to have 8.302 on my SDHC card in case I had any problems, so I used Mike's method above to extract 8.302 onto the card. When I put the card into the device, sure enough it booted up in 8.302 and appeared to route OK, but the sound did not work. Checked that all the settings were ok, and they were. None of the voices worked, TTC or recorded. Took the card out and it worked fine in 8.350.

All I had on the card was the 8.302 application installed from Mike's link. That still managed to read the map from the internal memory, but should I have put anything else on the card?

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had the volume problem when I upgraded to 8.350 and I have got to say it was a pain in the ar#e working yesterday.
Not so bothered hearing the voice commands , it was the speed camera warnings that I like to hear. Mad

But having read this thread I unticked the noise level box and I think that everything is back as it was.
The proof of the pudding will be at work on Monday.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a voices folder in the root of the SD card and copy a couple of recorded voice files into the voices folder, see if that offers the non TTS voices, assuming it does work you can then copy some of the contents of the LoquendoTTS folder from the device to the LoquendoTTS folder on the card.

The 8,350 update will have changed a couple of files in the LoquendoTTS folder, so getting this part working can be tricky but its entirely possible to do. Have a look in the LoquendoTTS folder on the SD CARD and you will find two folders:

/bin
/lib

In each of these folders is a single file which is created/ updated by the installation of the Navcore, these files must remain in place and should not be replaced with the newer ones from the LoquendoTTS folder on the device which is Navcore 8,350 All the other files and folders can be copied over to the memory card to make a fully functional TTS voice setup on the card. Note on a fully working TTS system there is far more than just one file in each of the /bin and /lib sub folders.

To be honest I think the easiest way to do this is copy the entire LoquendoTTS folder from the device Flash memory to the SD card then re-install the Navcore 8,302 to the card, this will then put the correct files in the correct folders and it should work - Mike
mikentl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just took the plunge and updated my GO 720 to 3.50. It all went without a hitch, volume level was a bit lower but un selected the "link to noise" box set it at 95%, its now loud enough and no distortion. The TT still finds its satellites and rds signal as fast as it always did.
Camera voices are also at a good level.
One thing i noticed that i didn't before is at the top right where the box shows an arrow in the direction of the next turn and distance. if there is another turning just before the one you need to take, the screen changes to show the arrow, and the extra turn instead of the distance.
This happened when about 200 yds from the turning.
I might have missed this before but don't think so.
All in all I am quite happy with the update.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

To be honest I think the easiest way to do this is copy the entire LoquendoTTS folder from the device Flash memory to the SD card then re-install the Navcore 8,302 to the card, this will then put the correct files in the correct folders and it should work - Mike

Let's make sure I have got this right.
First, copy the LoquendoTTS Folder from the internal flash memory to the card
Then extract Navcore 8.302 to the card (presumably overwriting the LoquendoTTS I have just put there)

BTW, when I went through the Voices menu options, they were all there. I just couldn't make them work!

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 28 of 39

Jump to: