Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Binatone Carrera A350 and adding poi`s
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Binatone Carrera A350 and adding poi`s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobo3214
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Binatone Carrera A350 and adding poi`s Reply with quote

Hi I have some POI`s which are 2 files 1 as a .csv file and the other as a .bmp files I can access all files and folders on my sat nav which is a Binatone Carrera A350 but where or how do I place these new poi`s on the sat nav what folder
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a help file for installing the speed camera database from this site onto the Binatone Carerra, and as speed camera data is just another POI file, it should help.
iGo, MyGuide, OnCourse Navigator 6, BinatoneInstructions

A quick glane it look like the camera files go into the \Flash Disk\igo\poi\speedcam folder, so maybe your POI files should go in the \Flash Disk\igo\poi\ folder?
Also from those instructions it looks like you need .txt files rather then .csv

.csv is a type of text file so you MAY be able to just change the file extension from csv to txt or you might need to import the files into a program called POI Edit to convert the file format.
bobo3214
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
There is a help file for installing the speed camera database from this site onto the Binatone Carerra, and as speed camera data is just another POI file, it should help.
iGo, MyGuide, OnCourse Navigator 6, BinatoneInstructions

A quick glane it look like the camera files go into the \Flash Disk\igo\poi\speedcam folder, so maybe your POI files should go in the \Flash Disk\igo\poi\ folder?
Also from those instructions it looks like you need .txt files rather then .csv

.csv is a type of text file so you MAY be able to just change the file extension from csv to txt or you might need to import the files into a program called POI Edit to convert the file format.

We Are Talking about a Binatone Carrera A350 satnav here as I think those instructions are for a pocket GPS unless I am wrong as I definitely don't have those folders you say called \Flash Disk\igo\poi\speedcam folder
I have taken 4 snapshots of my sat nav contents and folders the only folder where it has most stuff is the ResidentFlash folder

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobo3214 wrote:

We Are Talking about a Binatone Carrera A350 satnav here as I think those instructions are for a pocket GPS unless I am wrong

Err, you've got the wrong end of the stick... There's no such thing as a "Pocket GPS"... those instructions I linked to are intended for loading the "Pocket GPS World speed camera database" ONTO the iGo, MyGuide, OnCourse Navigator 6 and Binatone Carrera machines.

I have no personal experience of the Binatone machines and Binatone seem to have washed their hands of them completely (there's no support, no manuals or even any mention of them on their website), so I was pointing you to some instructions which MIGHT help....

The PGPSW speed cam files are just POI files so the procedure should be similar and the table of compatible models on THIS PAGE says the data is compatible with "T430 Carrera (probably most devices!) " and that the actual software it is running is iGo.

That was all I was going on....

Maybe Binatone used different software on your device, do you know which? If you can find the actual program file or show a screen shot someone may be able to identify it. For example, what is the "MobileNavi..." folder you have in your first image?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
[... Binatone seem to have washed their hands of them completely (there's no support, no manuals or even any mention of them on their website)

Belay that.. I've found a different website:
http://binatonegps.com/gps/_uk/ which seems to have some manuals. Just looking ....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual is at:
http://binatonegps.com/gps/download/manual/A350usermanual_uk.pdf
but there is no mention of adding custom or third-party POIs
For speed camera updates it says to go to www.binatonecarrera.com, but that seems to be dead (just redirects you back to binatonegps.com)

It also mentions a UK helpline: 0845 345 9677 (which is still working) that might be worth trying.
bobo3214
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for help btw what's a iGO also no binatone are not very helpful at all also that Manuel the .pdf isn't same as my machine the 1st part is but I have now included 2 more snaps of the sat nav, + you said what's in what is the "MobileNavi..." folder well I have uploaded the snap what's in that folder its the 3rd snapshot, but I have uploaded it again now below

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, "iGo" is a software package for navigation that has been installed on several brands of SatNav. Other Binatones seem to have done, so it was possible/likely that your Binatone used it too.
However, if the manual that says it is for your machine doesn't look right, it's equally likely they stopped using iGo and shifted to some other ready-made software package.
That's why putting up a screenshot can help others more knowledgeable than me to try to identify it.

Your shot of the folder contents unfortunately doesn't show all the file extensions (you need to change Windows display behaviour to show them - in XP it is in the Windows Explorer Tools menu. Go to folder options / View tab and UN-tick "Hide extensions for known file types, probably something similar in Vista)

But it still looks like "mobilenavi..." could be the actual program (it will have an .exe extension). I was hoping there may be a POI folder inside that MobileNavigator folder.
I'm afraid that's where my knowledge/guesswork runs out. Hopefully someone else will know something about "MobileNavigator".
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

binatone are great Twisted Evil

they have been known to use 3 different navigation software even in the same range of devices...

the one you show IS NOT 'powered by' igo and as igo was the only one they used that had 3rd party poi capabilities then the one you have cannot have 3rd party pois added.

MaFt
bobo3214
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
As I understand it, "iGo" is a software package for navigation that has been installed on several brands of SatNav. Other Binatones seem to have done, so it was possible/likely that your Binatone used it too.
However, if the manual that says it is for your machine doesn't look right, it's equally likely they stopped using iGo and shifted to some other ready-made software package.
That's why putting up a screenshot can help others more knowledgeable than me to try to identify it.

Your shot of the folder contents unfortunately doesn't show all the file extensions (you need to change Windows display behaviour to show them - in XP it is in the Windows Explorer Tools menu. Go to folder options / View tab and UN-tick "Hide extensions for known file types, probably something similar in Vista)

But it still looks like "mobilenavi..." could be the actual program (it will have an .exe extension). I was hoping there may be a POI folder inside that MobileNavigator folder.
I'm afraid that's where my knowledge/guesswork runs out. Hopefully someone else will know something about "MobileNavigator".

So what do iGO do then, also here is another snapshot of that MobileNavigator folder showing the extensions. is iGO to do with touch screen as this satnav has a stylus pen

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See MaFt's reply above.
iGo supported third-party POI addons (in the \Flash Disk\igo\poi\ folder on the model described in the instructions I linked to), but the other software Binatone used doesn't.
Nothing specifically due to a touchscreen, just different navigation software bought in and used by the manufacturer (presumably cheaper).

So it looks like you're out of luck.... sorry.
bobo3214
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
See MaFt's reply above.
iGo supported third-party POI addons (in the \Flash Disk\igo\poi\ folder on the model described in the instructions I linked to), but the other software Binatone used doesn't.
Nothing specifically due to a touchscreen, just different navigation software bought in and used by the manufacturer (presumably cheaper).

So it looks like you're out of luck.... sorry.

Well at long last I have managed to get through to binatone on the phone after several months etc, & They have now Told me that if I sent the satnav to this address below. they would update the software and version to latest for only £20 which I think is quite reasonable

telephone service centre
Bradbury road
newton aycliffe
county Durham
DL5 6DA
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!
Did they say what the software would be and whether it would do what you're trying to do?
bobo3214
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Good luck!
Did they say what the software would be and whether it would do what you're trying to do?

Well I Didnt really ask them that, But I will ask so I know if I can add more speed cams etc & POI`s will keep you informed if I remember

EDIT: Just managed to get through to Binatone again as they said they havnt yet released the updates, so this is why if you send your Satnav to them they will update all speed cams, routes, poi`s etc, they said that I couldnt add any speed cams, or poi`s as they have to do it

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: