Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 310 problem after map update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 310 problem after map update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tropdevin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 310 problem after map update Reply with quote

I have a Nuvi 310 with full European maps, and it worked fine in both the UK and Europe until I recently upgraded the maps to City Navigator 2009.1

The UK seems fine, but I get bizarre behaviour in Northern France. When I asked it for the route from Calais to Chalons-en-Champagne recently, it wanted to go via Lille, rather than the direct route via the A26 to Arras. Whilst driving the (sensible) A26 route it kept wanting me to leave and then return to the same motorway junction, and adding huge amounts of time to the ETA if I didn't. It seemed to be condisering these pointless excursions as 'negative distance' that would save me time! Finally, somewhere south of Reims it behaved sensibly, and did so for the rest of my trip down to the Grenoble area. On the way north all was well until roughly the same region, when it again behaved oddly.

My first thought was that one of the maps might have been corrupted on extraction, so I tried the route on the PC using Mapsource: no problem, it suggested the sensible route. So I reloaded the relevant maps onto the SD card in case they were corrupt - but again, it wants me to go via Lille ????

If I rely on the base level maps in the Nuvi, it proposes the sensible route. So I don't think it is a Nuvi OS software issue. But nor does the map seem to be corrupt.

Anyone got any ideas of what might be going on?

Alan
timlofts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

I'm not sure I can help you resolve the problem, but I too have a 310 (approx 4 years old now), and have experienced a very similar problem, and always in the same region of France. We take a ski trip every year to the Alps, and every time the Nuvi packs up, repeatedly, between Dijon and Lyon.

The first time it happened, I contacted Garmin on my return from France and they suggested re-loading the software and maps. I wasn't too happy because there wasn't any real way I could check if this would fix the problem until my next trip, a year later, when the unit would then be out of warranty. Anyway, prior to my next trip there was a map update (£75!!), which I purchased, and installed on to the unit. Guess what, same problem, same suggestion from Garmin, and still it happens every year (4 years now).

I haven't purchased the recent map update because I was I'm not sure I want to spend more money on updates that won't cure my problem, and instead, I'm considering buying a complete new unit.

One of the things I think may cause this proble is region overlaps, where the map set is created not by one big map of Europe, but lots of smaller maps, collated together, and in some places, overlapping, causing confusion within the Nuvi.

Whatever the reason, it's pretty shoddy, and it's caused us to miss junctions several times because you don't realise it's stopped working, and only because we now know, we're more aware.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: