Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM Quality Control
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM Quality Control
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jawilson59 wrote:
well i dont really fancy sending a brand new unit away for a repair...i think i will just take it back to the retailer and get it excahanged for a new one.....hopefully the whole batch won't be like that!!!

Under the sale of goods act, the retailer is the person responsible and your first point of call, however, depending upon how long you have had the device he may decide to send it back for repair himself or just replace it. His choice, not yours. So it could be in your interest to take it back and see what happens.
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i returned it to maplins and they were ok about it, got it exchanged for another one at lunchtime (the last in stock) and got back to office. finally got the chance at 5-30pm to open the replacement and guess what, not only was it off centre as well but it was very slightly rotated / skewed so took it back and manager let me take my original back for a day or two to so if i can live with original one, if not he will give me a refund....so 10/10 for maplins customer service but a big thumbs down for tomtom's quality control.....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a picture of the whole front face so we can see the extent of the problem?
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my camera isnt good enought to see it....best way i can explain it is just to say the picture isnt centred within the external case frame / border.

when u look really closely u see this small black band on 2 sides that may be attached directly to the lcd panel.....this band correspondences to the side that have too much border.

i wonder if u were to under the screws on the back could you adjust the screen.....anyone ever take a TT apart?
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have now got a picture,. will post tomorrow
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres the photo, apologies for the quality, u may need to view it away from a bright window.

if you look closely you will see the distance between the image and the case on the top and to the right is greater than the distance to the left and at the bottom.....tell me what u think.

sorry, i have typed all this and now I cant find out how to add the image......sorry, will try PMing it to Andy_P and see if he can post it....[/img][/url]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you e-mail me the picture I will add it to your post, my e-mail button below this post is active so simply use that - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the spirit of "teach a man to fish", I've sent jawilson59 some tips on posting images. Hopefully, he can get it running himself Smile
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is TT's response to the image i sent the:

"Looking at the image supplied and the fact the one in the store was the same as yours (ACTUALLY THE ONE IN STORE WAS WORSE AS IT WAS ROTATED!!!) I am lead to believe there is nothing wrong with the device. The tomtom has passed our Quality control and the unit does not need to be repaired, both myself and several of my co workers have looked at the image and we cannot book the unit in for repair due to the LCD being 1mm to one side. The opening for the screen allows a certain tolerance and the unit is well within this to allow it to function."

i will post the image and some others tomorrow.
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

think this issue is a dead duck now. i had sent Mike an email with some photos to be posted so u guys could see what i mean, but it hasnt got posted.

In relation to TT's reponse quoted above i sent this:

You mention Tomtom Quality Control.....would you accept a LCD tv that the panel wasnt centred within the frame of the TV??

and they responded with:

The unit is tested to British standards and it is well within any guidelines we have to follow, there is nothing wrong with the tomtom you have.

Very Happy

So based on the fact that the other I saw in the shop was worse, think I will just cut my losses as you could open 50 boxes and not get 1 that was right (please dont reply to this post saying urs is perfect Sad Shocked )

Thanks for all the input.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the pictures but couldn't find which thread they were for!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: