Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route planner file size
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route planner file size
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of repeating something I posted the other day in reply to another thread in here...

People seem to be using tracklogs as routes - whilst there is nothing wrong with this per se - it is becoming obvious that this is causing problems with Satmap RoutePlanner / RouteShare. The developers of these applications expect them to be used in a particular fashion. Satmap Routeplanner is used by creating a limited number of waypoints to make a route. In my (very humble) opinion; a walking route that has more than 50ish waypoints for a days walk is the exception.

If you want to share a route you have walked / cycled... via Satmap Routeshare then you will need to reduce the tracklog to a much smaller set of waypoints. If you have MemoryMap or OziExplorer they can do this very effectively. The Active10 can do this - but I haven't tried it to see how efficient it is.

But surely people plan a route before walking it? Even if they haven't formally created a route they must have some idea of where they intend to go - otherwise they won't know how long it is going to take and more importantly, when they are lost - and this is when people can get into serious difficulties. This is ALL a route plan is - a set of points you want to go to - the route between the points is (usually) pre-determined by existing paths - or is 'open access' and you want to be sure of getting off at the right point.

So - how do I use Routeplanner... Please bear in mind that I have been planning walking routes for years (started in my early 20's and now approaching very late 50's!) and using software like Anquet/Memory Map/OziExplorer for planning for many years.

I used SatMap routeplanner (for the first time) to create a route for a walk around the north of Buttermere. I started very simply by creating a point at the start (obviously Laughing ) then created points at the summits of the 5 'peaks' we intended to walk over and a final point, the finish of "section one", at Honister Hause. This was a total of 7 waypoints. Reviewing this section I added waypoints where I wanted to make sure that we chose the correct route off the summit (Dale Head has quite a few options) and to mark similar on-route path choices. I planned 3 "section two" routes to return via different routes depending upon conditions - these were individually planned similar to section one. All 4 routes totalled 39 waypoints and the actual route walked totalled 20Kms. This was a whole day's walk for us old codgers - we were out a total of 9.75 hrs - moving for 5hrs. Wink I can strongly recommend the 'new' cafe at the mining museum at Honister Hause - good coffee and free 'facilities' that are very clean!

You really wouldn't want to follow the tracklog - there were interesting (to us) diversions to look at certain features and something more reminiscent of a yacht tacking as we picked our way across the bog that is Buttermere Moss.

I tried to publish these routes on RouteShare - but didn't have any luck - will try again this week - I have to plan the Easter walking on the Yorkshire Moors!

I liked the Active10 in use as it displayed all four routes (one active and the others greyed-out). A nice feature.
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob1988

You are quite right. I'm doing what I usually do, mess about too much and get problems! I decided last night to relax a bit and enjoy the device for the purpose I bought it.

I think Satmap have silenced a lot of people who complained that the 'route planner would never arrive' 'their website never gets updated' 'they never produce updates'.

They have told me they are working on the problems with the route planner and I believe them. I have been very impressed with them, their service and their equipment, so I will definatly stick with them.

I have had no problems at all with the routes created by myself or another user on route share. Only with the viewing of trail to track, which to be honest only gives me mild interest for a while and then I delete. Occasionally I might wander off and like to view where I ended up on a bigger screen than the active 10, but no big deal.

I think I will sit back for a while and wait.

Many Thanks

John
SallyAndKev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to remove sections of tracks, I find RouteConverter considerably easier to use than notepad
http://www.routeconverter.de/

Or if you just want a text editor PSPad displays the files well
http://www.pspad.com/en/

Sally

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: