Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One XL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One XL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
id
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: TomTom One XL Reply with quote

I have the both internal memeory and SD slot on my TomTom One XL. I've decided to use the SD option to include larger file sizes. I've transferred the files from the internal memory to the SD Card. When I insert the card and swith the TT on the screen shows the disk and then requests its removal and puts a large red cross through the disk. Does this mean the disk is incompatible or do I need to remove all the files off the TT first.

Any suggestions?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to copy every file and folder from the internal memory to the SD card, if you have done this and the device still refuses to boot up from the card then you will need a better SD card as the one you are using isn't fast enough - Mike
id
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was using a ScanDisk Ultra II. I'll need to get something better.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try again with the card as thats not a slow card, perform a full format of the card don't use the quick format option, then re-inastall all the files and folders to the memory card - Mike
id
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followed the instructions but the same output Blue Disk image with a Red Cross. I've also tried removing all files off the internal memeory getting the same message. This disk hasn't played up before. Ifact it's been quite reliable. I've also plugged the TT in with the disk in place and the device doesn't recognise the disk.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the card is on its way out then as it doesn't sound like its working correctly, the Ultra II cards are one of the better makes, but I guess this one is past its best - Mike
id
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could be right. I've reformatted again. No success. One question though. If a disk is installed and there's also files on the internal memory. What decides the boot order ie internal memeory first or SD card. I'm assuming if a card's present then it's SD first. Is this right?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the device boots up it looks firstly at the memory if there is one in the device then it will try and boot from that, if the Navcore software isn't on the card then it will flash the card error, removing the card forces the device to boot from the built in memory.
The G0-x20/ x30 and x40 behave differently as they can share the memory available on the card and built in storage, the One and XL devices cannot share the memory it is one or the other - Mike
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

The G0-x20/ x30 and x40 behave differently as they can share the memory available on the card and built in storage, the One and XL devices cannot share the memory it is one or the other - Mike

I have been labouring under the mistaken belief that the TT730 can only use the SD card slot for pictures and audio files. Obviously I was wrong!
Can someone please tell me exactly what use (apart from these) I can use the card for with a TT730?

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put your maps on the card and your unit will still recognize them and work with them.

I have a 720 (essentially a 730 now with software and map updates). I put my NA map on my 4-gig sdhc card for space considerations. And I have no issues at all.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the maps, music, pictures etc you can also install the Navcore application to the memory card which forces the device to boot up using the software from the SD card. If you take the card out the device will boot from the internal flash Navcore.

Doing this allows you to use two different versions of the software with a rather easy switch between the two releases, this is something we have named Dual Booting. When the stuttering voice issue cropped up quite a few of us were running 8,300 on the memory card and 8,010 on the device along with two sets of maps - Mike
id
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem Solved. Re formatted again and reloaded. I think the issue was file size. There were only a few MB of space left.

Interesting comment on one of the previous replies that you could put maps on the SD. Does this mean you could run the application and pull the maps from a SD card. To be honest I didn't think that was possibe?

Anyway thanks for your help.

David
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the XL you own you have to put the maps and the application files on to the card for it to work, but for the Go-x20, x30 and x40 they can share the memory locations and work with both at the same time - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
When the device boots up it looks firstly at the memory if there is one in the device then it will try and boot from that, if the Navcore software isn't on the card then it will flash the card error...

Was that a typo Mike?
The One XL will look at the CARD first and if it finds a valid operating system will boot from that.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slight typo yes, the XL will refuse to boot if a memory card is inserted without the Navcore software and all coresponding files/ folders that it needs to operate are on the memory CARD - Mke

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: