Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera removal fom Garmin 865
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera removal fom Garmin 865

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jiffter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Speed camera removal fom Garmin 865 Reply with quote

Hi,
Just bought a new Garmin 865 with there own speed camera software installed on it. Wasn't very impressed with the software so decided to subscribe to your own.I downloaded the POI Loader as instructed but i wasn't sure where the existing speed camera data base was located on the garmin. I thought i'd found it in the POI folder in the Garmin system and deleted it and then installed GPS World's software back into the POI folder.I tried the sat nav out on the road and approached a fixed gatsco camera and i got a warning about it but i think it was from the original speed camera software plus no sign of the GPS Worlds speed alerts and to rub salt in the wound the the sat nav froze and could only be brought back to life by switching it on and off but the same thing continued to happen every time i approached a safety camera.
Seems like i've made a huge gaff of the whole thing.PLEASE can someone sort this mess outl.
Many thanks in advance.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Garmin to hand but IIRC you need to check under POIs or Custom POIs, what is shown there?

Or alternatively what files are in Garmin/POIs via Explorer?
jiffter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Speed camera removal fom Garmin 865 Reply with quote

I've opened up the POI folder in the Garmin via explorer and there is a single file called poi.gpi with a size of 3,854 KB and a quote "windows cannot open this file". This is the folder i put the pocketgps camera database in.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you look under Where To?, Extras, Custom POIs to see if the database is listed there? The POI,GPI file should contain the database but the best way to check is using this the above method Darren already mentioned.

Can you also check under Tools, Settings, Proximity Alerts, Change and make sure Custom POIs are checked.

If there is no mention of Cyclops Database (or similar) under the Proximity Alerts screen above you have deleted the Garmin database.

I would try reloading the database again and see if that helps.

Do you have the latest firmware loaded from Garmin?
jiffter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Speed camera removal fom Garmin 865 Reply with quote

I've looked under custom POI's and found other items i put in yesterday relating to general point of interest but no speed data base. I've also loooked in Tools, Settings but can't find "Proximity Alerts".If i try reloading the data base will that mean i loose all the original POI's i got with the sat nav not including the one's i put in and how do you reload it?
Much appreciated for your patience.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever you load any Custom POIs (including the PGPSW Database) all existing Custom POIs will be removed. To load the PGPSW Database and other POIs on the unit together simply mix them all together in one folder on your PC and upload the lot in one go.

Quote:
I've also loooked in Tools, Settings but can't find "Proximity Alerts".

The Settings screen has 2 pages. Have you scrolled dow to the second page using the arrow key at the bottom right of the screen?

The original POIs that came with the unit are in the map data and can't be removed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: